A Sad Event

Kittamaru

I won't give into these programs. Funny I couldn't even get a rebate because if i wanted to give the old pathy in (never gonna happen) I'd get an Xterra but that doesn't fall into the treehugger gas saver category so no rebate for me.

That's curious adamzan. Us heavy carbon foot-print monsters must think alike. :)

At this point, if we ditched the '93 pathie, an Xterra would be the replacement but the BC Scrap-It program would offer $0.00 assistance.

Frankly, I would rather wait a few years for a turbo-diesel powered 4X4 SUV mounted on a light truck-like frame. (That and folks are complaining that the Xterras are top-heavy.)

In the meantime, we keep the pathie motor and exhaust system in good shape, drive slower and walk and bicycle as much as possible close to home.

A lot of clunkers are not being sent straight to the crusher. People assume that's what happens. And that's what the government is trying to say. The whole Cash 4 Clunkers businss is BS. A lot of dealers are still waiting on their money (i thought we were in debt). Not to mention when a good percentage of those people who couldn't afford a new car (hence why they are driving a clunker) default on their loan. Then you tank the economy again. Then you eliminate multiple cars from the pool. So you dwindle the numbers of cars to get your parts off of. Not to mention they have to be crushed by a certain point and time.

We have around 20 CFC cars at the junkyard. Some you can see why they were traded in like that. Others... Well. We got a 99 Bravada. Top trim level. MINT condition. Not even 50k miles. Engine is seized as tight as possible. 85 LTD, 60k original miles, mint condition. We've got a few F-Series pickups that are junk. But for the most part most of it is near mint condition or very acceptable condition.

One of the big things is the government is strictly regulating what junkyards get these vehicles. You gotta go through alot to hook them in. And they HAVE to be destroyed after a certain time period. 180 days or something around that.

Also it's Sodium Silicate they run in the engine rather than Oil. Liquid Glass essentially.

That's curious adamzan. Us heavy carbon foot-print monsters must think alike. :)

At this point, if we ditched the '93 pathie, an Xterra would be the replacement but the BC Scrap-It program would offer $0.00 assistance.

Frankly, I would rather wait a few years for a turbo-diesel powered 4X4 SUV mounted on a light truck-like frame. (That and folks are complaining that the Xterras are top-heavy.)

In the meantime, we keep the pathie motor and exhaust system in good shape, drive slower and walk and bicycle as much as possible close to home.

I was listening to the radio a few months ago and they had this survey of "words that should be removed from the english language" there were two top voted ones. One I don't remember but the other was carbon foot-print. I couldn't agree more!

I'd rather keep the pathie in good shape (not expensive at all), rather than have a car payment for the next 5 years. I just try to get rides with friends to put less wear and tear on my truck :D

At Les Schwab we got a ton of the tires and rims from the CFC cars from dealerships around here. Just from looking at the wheels, there were some very nice rigs. The LE wheels (the big ones) from the 02+ R50s, Land Rover Discovery wheels, Jeep wheels, various WD21 and R50 wheels, Mustang wheels, etc. It made me sick.

And we only got about 1/4 of the way through the whole batch, Metro Metals is going to be bringing more.

Which is weird to me. The dealerships sent the CFC cars to Metro Metals to be crushed, so they sent us the wheels and tires to dismount. We give them the rims back so they can make even more money, but we have to PAY $10 per good used tire, and then junk the rest. That's bullsh!t. We have to pay to fill our back parking lot full of stacks of tires and scrap bins and run around like a bunch of banshees trying to get the tires dismounted and then keep up with the regular customers!

All the yards around here have to pay per CFC car to got the 'honer' of partign them out some. It's like $200 per car or soemthign though and they make their money 10x over since they are generally theifts-yet still cry they are losing money over them. I hear alot of Explorers have been taken off the road though...

And Kingman...throw a couple good tires in the junk bin and take em home with ya...

Edited by nunya

We are paying a small fee to be included on the list. But nothing extravagant. Had to go through a ton of hoops and such just to get approve.

and a TON of explorers got taken off the road. Most the top 10 list of cars traded in were explorers of various years.

.... I hear alot of Explorers have been taken off the road though...

Now, that could be the only unequivocally positive benefit of this Cash for Clunkers program. Fewer older Ford Explorers on the road. A 1/2 tonne SUV whose suspension is that mushy has to be dangerous at some point.

Even if you do inflate the tires properly. ;)

Edited by westslope

I'd rather keep the pathie in good shape (not expensive at all), rather than have a car payment for the next 5 years. I just try to get rides with friends to put less wear and tear on my truck :D

Especially if you don't mind doing some of the maintenance, holding onto the pathie is by far the cheapest option.

What are you doing to prevent rust? I'm applying Krown Rust treatment annually. I try to high pressure hose off the dust and mud immediately after each and every trip off road.

Edited by westslope

We are paying a small fee to be included on the list. But nothing extravagant. Had to go through a ton of hoops and such just to get approve.

and a TON of explorers got taken off the road. Most the top 10 list of cars traded in were explorers of various years.

No offence to you, your family, and the yard you all run was meant man. On my side of the state they are generally theives. I can understand making a buck but you don't have to make 4x what you paid fo rthe car off of 1 commen part.

Now, that could be the only unequivocally positive benefit of this Cash for Clunkers program. Fewer older Ford Explorers on the road. A 1/2 tonne SUV whose suspension is that mushy has to be dangerous at some point.

Even if you do inflate the tires properly. ;)

Yup my old '93 Explorer with 212k than ran, drove, and looked like new was extremely dangerous... :rolleyes:

Especially if you don't mind doing some of the maintenance, holding onto the pathie is by far the cheapest option.

What are you doing to prevent rust? I'm applying Krown Rust treatment annually. I try to high pressure hose off the dust and mud immediately after each and every trip off road.

I've not even had it 2 years but from looking underneath it looks to have been rustproof many times, I'm pretty sure the PO told me that before his family had it, it was done every year. And this isn't the oil spray stuff, it's thick rubbery stuff. I am going to have it krowned this year, after I clean out the frame (again) and spray ATF in there, also spraying it in the body panels through the little ports that were made from the undercoating place.

Yup my old '93 Explorer with 212k than ran, drove, and looked like new was extremely dangerous... :rolleyes:

We all don't live in a place where the roads are perfect, and nothing rusts or wears out....My year old shocks are already toast. And the explorer suspension is mushy, my dad test drove one before he bought the pathfinder and he said it just didn't feel right.

Also how would you know what it drove like when new? And I think they're talking about the firestone incident (I remember seeing one rolled over with a blown tire.) when they say dangerous.

Edited by adamzan

Yup my old '93 Explorer with 212k than ran, drove, and looked like new was extremely dangerous...

93 with 200k+ that ran, drove and looked like new? I'm not going to cry BS, I'm going to ask why you still aren't driving this miracle vehicle...

B

No offence to you, your family, and the yard you all run was meant man. On my side of the state they are generally theives. I can understand making a buck but you don't have to make 4x what you paid fo rthe car off of 1 commen part.

We have a computer that gives us prices other yards are charging for certain parts and we usually go off that. It's also usually to try and get what we put into the car and make a profit. Same with just about anything. I know alot of junkyards that sell stuff real cheap (but they aren't run right business wise) and some that charge a ton of money. so it's hit or miss.

A junkyard here wanted 130 dollars for a side mirror for my truck. I called the dealership and I could get a brand new one for 160 something. Tell me that's not highway robbery. Might as well buy new. Got both mirrors from B for 80.

Edited by adamzan

A junkyard here wanted 130 dollars for a side mirror for my truck. I called the dealership and I could get a brand new one for 160 something. Tell me that's not highway robbery. Might as well buy new. Got both mirrors from B for 80.

that is ridiculous.

93 with 200k+ that ran, drove and looked like new? I'm not going to cry BS, I'm going to ask why you still aren't driving this miracle vehicle...

B

Got a 01 Impala with 230k that runs like a top at work, thing is in great shape, on the other hand just today had a 95 Explorer that hasn't seen a winter in years with 40k(sits in a garage when not being used, which is often) rotted to the point the leafs are about to fall out of the back ,the rad is basicly held in place by the hoses and the side skirts are hanging on by hopes and dreams. All I use mileage for is maintnance records honestly.