how much for auto transmission / transfer case replacement

FUELER

all the years of neutral drops, rough terrain and high temps have taken a toll on my transmission.

How much should I expect to pay for a new transmission and transfer case (the one with 4x4 on a knob) ??

Got a quote from one place for $1500 (junkyard parts)

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

labor is about 800-1000 +, so with junkyard parts that sounds about right. with rebuilt parts the couple of places I called wanted 2400 - 3000.

why would you want to replace your transfercase? it should be fine even if your tranny has blown.

you could always go to a JY and find the parts and install them yourself.... save you a hell of a lot on labor. If you have the time and patience that is.

Hmm 5 speed yes! but you will need a flywheel, a clutch, pedal set and whatever to trip out the neutral safety switch...could very well be worth it though man. If you were closer dude we could really get you hooked up here.

***Check Ben Wood Auto*** I got a trans for my buddies XL7 w/t-case shipoped for $480...granted they are just north of me, but the price was flat rate IIRC.

Edited by 02silverpathy

i dont know if a 5-speed swap would really be worth it if you dont do the labor yourself though.

The parts would be cheaper yes, but a shop would probably charge more to retrofit the vehicle and then you would be paying just as much as if you had bought another auto in the first place.

i'd imagine it would be $1500 around here so for socal that may be cheap. AT rebuild here runs about 2.5-3k too.

install the after market coolie though..

pulling these beast out is a total PITA to the highest degree. if you don't have the tools or don't like to break a nail, don't even think about it. work some extra OT.