Clutch damper

krmiller07

Has anyone encountered a problem with a so called hydraulic damper between the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder? i replaced the slave cylinder after exerincing a 'dead pedal' i.e. clutch pedal went to the floor while driving down the freeway ! my mechanic bled the clutch line after i relaced the slave cylinder and I still have a spongy pedal. He claims theres a damper between the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder ? Any feed back out there >

Thanks,

krmiller07

Yup, he's right.

You have the master cylinder, the damper then the operation cylinder. The master is right behind the pedal, the operation is on the trans and the damper looks to be mounted in between on the firewall. The FSM also says to bleed the damper, then the operating cylinder in order.

It supposedly reduces chatter or feedback from the clutch. Kind of like a shock absorber for the clutch line. It's more for comfort than performance. If you bypass it you will be able to "feel" the clutch better. They can wear out over time.

Agreed with JJ, but I thought you always bled farthest , then next closest to the source, ie brakes. Either way, yes, it needs bleeding also...

B

Yeah, but brake lines run out to the calipers separate from each other. The clutch damper is in line between the master and operating cylinders. If you bleed the operating first, you'd push air into the line from the damper, wouldn't you? If you bleed the line between the master and damper first, you should have straight fluid (minus the air in front of it) when you bleed the line from the damper to the operating cylinder.

I could be wrong, though. The only practical training I have in fluid dynamics involves kegs and beer bongs.

well, i have replaced my slave once. and it took all of 2 min to blead it.. I only did it at the slave, no place else and it works fine.

soooo.... I don't have alot of helpfull info.

but i would try benche bleading the master.