Electric fan swap

joshellis

I'm going to do an electric fan swap in my 87, I think two 10" fans would be quite nice and from reading topics here, by all accounts they should fit. Now heres my question.. purely for aesthetics I think mounting them from the front would be quite cool (ie where my AC radiator used to be) Is that a stupid idea in terms of windflow/efficiency etc?

if it's a Hayden fan, it'll just fit in front. and, the blade is reverisble. just make sure you have it spinning the proper direction and it;s all good. If you do screw up and get the direction wrong, you can wire it to spin backwards, but it's not the same airflow. That's what happened to me, but even with everything backwards it still does a better job of keeping things cool around town. idleing is a different story until i get an override switch put in

I had dual e-fans out of a Ford Escape installed in my truck. I just, this past weekend, went back to stock. I found that I would run quite warm on the highway, and whether idling, or around town, my temp guage would be 1/8th of the way up. Highway was up around 1/2. I have a theory as to why this is, and I think the fans didn't spin fast enough, and effectively created a wall, stopping air flow through the rad at highway speeds.

Mine were mounted on the inside as "pullers". In the extreme heat we had on the weekend, I ran at 3/8ths whether on the highway, or in the city, A/C on or off. That's more like it. :aok:

A friend of mine, who spent good money on an aftermarket e-fan solution ran into the same issues I did, and has also gone back to stock on his Xterra.

Edited by Simon

At highway speeds you should leave the E-fan off, the air flow from moving at that speed is faster than either the stock fan or an E-fan can additionally move the air. Where the fans (either type) work most is at low speed and idling. The only trouble I have had with my e-fan was that it doesn't pull enough through my tranny cooler (round fan in center, tranny cooler set to bottom right in front of radiator), but that was my mistake for not remounting the cooler more centered. It only gives me trouble when doing long slow climbs off roading, if I stop and just let it sit for a few it cools right down just fine. My fan is run off a temp sensor, so I have it set to turn on if the guage goes past 3/8s (trial and error with the control screw and idling for 30 min in the driveway). I bought a Hayden that according to their guide is the proper replacement for the stock fan. Fan part # 3710, controler part # 3653, both Hayden.

Edited by GrimGreg

While it's not that big of a pain in the a$$ to flip a switch, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of having to remember to turn the fans off when on the highway, then forgetting when I hit traffic, or regular city streets, to turn them back on.

Which is where the temp sensor comes in, if set right, the fan won't come on on the freeway. :togo:

Well, yes and no. If the fan is already on as you're getting on the freeway, and the air hits it at a faster rate, thus, increasing the temperature (air can't get through the rad, as discussed) the fan won't turn off.

• 1 month later...
Well, yes and no. If the fan is already on as you're getting on the freeway, and the air hits it at a faster rate, thus, increasing the temperature (air can't get through the rad, as discussed) the fan won't turn off.

This controller will make all the difference in the world with your efan mods.

http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automated/acc...ies/fanpwm.html

you can set it to turn on ant any temp you want and it is variable speed. I put the fans out of a 88 nissan maxima on mine and have one fan puls width modulated and the other it the High temp/AC fan.

I had another adjustable fan controller on mine and it failed. Even while it was working I had some problems with cooling just like you described. I can Have my truck idle in my front yard for hours in 110 degree weather and the temp stays right where is should. I have been running this new controller for a little over a year now. At low temps you cannot even hear the fan running. Let me know if you want to see pics of the fan mod

Mark

Edited by msavides

I don't know about you guys but I'm loving the Beck Arnley fan clutch. Once it engages, its instant cool down. The only problem is winter time when its cold, it takes some time to go free wheeling on the shaft. It kept my truck below 1/2 in extreme heat, like 104 F.