Surging?

rydsno

Wondering if anyone has ever had any surging/pulsing motor issues. I only seem to notice it when under load like uphill, 2800-3200 rpw, feels like a slight surging from the motor. I just replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter, cleaned the air filter(K&N) and still has the surging. I also found one cracked vac line and fixed that. It is very slight, but annoying none the less. Fuel pump getting weak maybe? Timing? Any ideas? :scratchhead:

you won't always get the cel with 02 or other sensors.. that happens sometimes.

it still could be another vacuum leak.. are the gaps right? wires crossing? how does the truck accelerate and decelerate while stopped in P or N? if it's smooth, it's probably not the timing..

could be maf. especially the plug.. it could be other stuff.. you'll just have start eliminating possibilites until you find the issue.

There was a thread a while back specifically about surging/stumbling uphill on the freeway a while back. If your efforts didn't fix it, I'll try to find it...

PS Make sure to display the year of your rig, not just XE... ;)

B

OK fixed the year thing, didn't realize i missed it. Anyways, MAF cleaning didn't seem to change anything. Should I be looking at the O2 sensor? Can you clean an O2 sensor? I also thought of maybe running a fuel injector cleaner through it. Anyone think injector cleaners are worth it? Oh, and the surging is very slight, not very noticeable.

Edited by rydsno

OK fixed the year thing, didn't realize i missed it. Anyways, MAF cleaning didn't seem to change anything. Should I be looking at the O2 sensor? Can you clean an O2 sensor? I also thought of maybe running a fuel injector cleaner through it. Anyone think injector cleaners are worth it? Oh, and the surging is very slight, not very noticeable.

It does sound like the 02 sensor. Surging or misfire under load, against headwinds, especially after the engine is up to temp.

I don't think you can clean them, but you can test the voltage I believe. I think...someone might chime in about this.

for balmer, I bet his is the AIV..

mine does the same, and that is the problem according to my local "expert" and it won't pass air cair either because of it.

That's the Air...something Valve right? I heard someone mention something like it a long time ago and they said it was a huge PITA to swap... or it was really pricey??? There was some roadblock to fixing the issue. '87Pathy, what has stopped you from doing the repair to your rig?

AIV (air injection Valve)

this adds air during idle to lower your CO emissions, (makes it run leaner)

AIV solenoid 60 bucks

AIV switch 60 bucks

AIV box.. no longer available. unless you go to a junk yard. and they aren't any better.

So what do you think the issue is? the valve itself, the solenoid or the box? Is there an inherant problem with the box - I'm assuming so since you say the JY ones are no better? Do you think that there's a way to repair it with a modded part or completely by-pass it. I'm thinking that the surging itself may be caused by the valve fluctuating between open and closed or partially open to partially closed. If this is the case could the valve not be permanently closed to prevent the condition by allowing the engine to run a bit rich at Idle?

not sure dude, all 3 of mine were / are bad.

maybe take it to somebody that can put a real machine on it and not just run the codes.

Ya, maybe one day...'til then I'll just live with it. There's no emissions testing in Hope so I'm lucky in that regard.