Hey, new from MN

mkedwards

Hey guys, thought I'd introduce myself. I got my 1995 Pathfinder SE a few months back for $700. Pretty rusty but the frame is good. I first got the car and honestly didnt know what i was getting myself into but Ive learned a lot and the truck has been really fun to drive! So far ive replaced all 4 shocks with kyb gr-2, all 4 ball joints, both cv axles, sound system and a battery. shes a good runner for the money, doesnt leak a drop of fluid. im just looking for a little guidance. id love to get her trail ready some day, seems like a lot of fun! Its a lofty goal i know, i have a lot of work ahead of me.

Ive got a long list of maintance to take care of but Im kind of stuck as to what i want to do next, things id like to do:

-change trans fluid (could be smoother when cold) anyone tried lucas trans fix?? your thoughts?

-tune up

-bushings (could probably replace all of them, are there full kits for this?) any recommendations?

-abs and brake light just started to come on when turning (parking brake cable is rusted through on one side dont know if that has anything to do with it) stops fine with no funny sounds

-broken exhaust manifold studs (been looking into replacing manifolds with headers) is it worth it? planning on just getting the old ones machined

-lots of electrical stuff, tach is crazy and temp gauge doesnt budge. also cruise control and alarm is out (could this be related?)

also been looking into a 3in body lift. at 4x4parts.com, suspension lift is a bit to expensive (maybe someone has one to sell?) but i want to give it a meaner look

Sorry for the 20 questions i know a lot of this is already posted but if anyone can point me in the right direction id love to hear your thoughts.

First off welcome! Can't help you on your trans fluid question, but would suggest a trans cooler from what I have seen others with autos say. Tune up, your goeing to get what you pay for. Cheap is just that in my experiences. Bushings? ruggedrocksoffroad.com (Steeevo is even a member here incase you have questions about anything there) ABS/Brake light, is the fluid low? Don't feel bad about having questions, just look around a little and odds are soemone else has/is sharing a similar issue or has posted up a fix for it. Enjoy! :aok:

thanks for the quick response! ill check out that website and look into the trans cooler. as far as a tune up, i work at napa and get pretty good deals on parts so ill make sure i dont get the cheap crap. any recommended plugs?

Welcome! Im orginally from the land of 10,000 lakes. Now I live were it rains all the time. There are several MN members here, maybe you can cathup with one. Lets see, make sure you do some searching. Many of your questions have been answered many times. That meas there are plenty of different opinions and fixes floating around. Now, lets see about what you have going on....

-change trans fluid (could be smoother when cold) anyone tried lucas trans fix?? your thoughts?-

Check they fluid for color, smell and consistancy. Dropping you pan and replacing the filter would help. Yes, get the trans cooler as soon as you can!!

-tune up-

As stated, use NGK spark plugs. Many others use off the store shelf pieces for the rest of the system, some use factory

-bushings (could probably replace all of them, are there full kits for this?) any recommendations?-

Dont think anyone hasx a full kit. Some aftermarket ones are availible, some from dealer.

-abs and brake light just started to come on when turning (parking brake cable is rusted through on one side dont know if that has anything to do with it) stops fine with no funny sounds-

Check the brake fluid level as stated. Give your rig a good inspection to make sure no leaks are found. Salt out there can wreak havoc with lines and other parts.

-broken exhaust manifold studs (been looking into replacing manifolds with headers) is it worth it? planning on just getting the old ones machined-

Headers are worth it, as most say. B posted up some recent info about Thorley headers on sale.

-lots of electrical stuff, tach is crazy and temp gauge doesnt budge. also cruise control and alarm is out (could this be related?)-

Tachs are a known problem. Some need to be replaced, some need the screws tightend. Temp gauge could be either the gague or sending unit on the engine. Cruise is tough as more info is needed. And the alarm, well there are some things posted in the Garage section to help you.

If you have more questions, dont hesitate to ask!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome,I'm from Rush city,mn.

Ok...the lucas fluid is worth.

I had a problem in late june where I got hung up on a rock and from the force of hitting, the tranny dip stick popped out and shot about 3 quirts out.

I replaced it with with dex but it still slipped in high rpms (4500+)and then added a half quirt after I got home of lucas and the slipping went away.

Ac delco plugs are fine,thats what I run on all my cars(fords too,not just camaros.)

Get a new dizzy cap,rotor(cheapy mileage pluse ones are just fine)I replaced them after mine started to pop and sizzle when I hit the gas.

Headers are worth it,But the exhaust after them shouldnt be over 2.5 inchs cause you'll lose low end torque.A glass pack muffle is fine.I run a 2.5 thrush on 2 inch pipe and it has a nice v-6ish burble at idle and its not overly loud (sounds kinda tunerish everyone saids but I not fart can ish)

If your pathy is one of the models with two cats,one on the y pipe before the cross over and one right after the cross over I'd lose the one after the cross over for better milage and power.

A K&N drop in filter is worth a little more power and is around 30 bucks on line,I get mine with free shipping.I dont remember the sit but if your interrested I'll look for the box they came in.

If your alarm doenst work...well then welcome to the club since mine doesnt ether and I dont know why.

Also...is your truck ehter dark green or black with rusted out front fenders?

Edited by nismothunder

Welcome mke!! Everything was covered so far, but I'll gloss the headers. I just bought a set of Thorleys for $406 delivered (but I'm still waiting for them). This is a pretty good price and was through Rocky Road Outfitters. The only other option you have is Pace Setters which should run you about $250+ but sometimes have quality issues...

Anywho, poke around, search for info and ask questions. Good luck with your truck!!

B