SAS? leaf springs?

wrightfox

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who said anything about which design was better? it's obvious that links > leaves. we were arguing flex, and that pic clearly shows that a leaf setup can flex just as much as links.

no, it clearly shows that the 2 stage shackles opened up and let the springs sag down. they are not "flexed" at all.

My neighbor has a lifted Taco with leaves on it and it flexes pretty nicely for a 14" lift with like no weight on them. But his buddy has a lifted Taco with links all around, and that bastard looks like a Yoga teacher! Haha. Holy hell...

But I guess it comes down to budget and preference. Thanks for showing me the pics of your ride with the leaves up front and coils in back, packie. Opened my mind up just a little more to new ideas!

jose

damn this thread moved fast. so are you saying that those spacers wont fit up to ours??? not even the rear ones? the rear is realy al i want. you cant find them anywhere. the front there are a ton of ppl on here that wil make the fronts for me. i just need the rear ones.

what 87pathy said is exactly what i have going on

thats why i susgested it. seams to work well for you, and a few others that are running a simliar setup.

but the hurdle for an R50 is the steering.

It would not be too hard with leaves, but with coils it will be difficult.

Your coil bucket, or coil over mount will interfere with the "new" steering box.

But with leaf springs, there is nothing to contend with execpt a little shock mount, that can be moved aft it necessary.

damn this thread moved fast. so are you saying that those spacers wont fit up to ours??? not even the rear ones? the rear is realy al i want. you cant find them anywhere. the front there are a ton of ppl on here that wil make the fronts for me. i just need the rear ones.

Yea, it different. i don't know if the back would work, but I don't know the size of the coil and mount on an R51, not to mention they are independent all around.

anyways back on topic. For the steering issue what we did on my friend kolbys black pathy we went to the pick and pull and grabbed a wd21 high pressure steering line and just rebent it very carefully, the box we used was actually off a hardbody that has the larger taper bolts.

Not as difficult as you would think, we used an xterra steering box on the r50 mounted it right to the frame rail, reinforced of course.

anyways back on topic. For the steering issue what we did on my friend kolbys black pathy we went to the pick and pull and grabbed a wd21 high pressure steering line and just rebent it very carefully, the box we used was actually off a hardbody that has the larger taper bolts.

Soo...I'm a little confused here...which box did you use?

And do those boxes have power steering, or is it all manual ( I would assume power is there, but I'm just throwing a newbie Q out there to clear things up)?

Jose

talked to the shop today, get my pathy back mondya then i just have to put the carpet and seats back in, then the lights and bumpers. i'll be driving after that. i need to replace my rotors tough. are ther specalty tools need to do tis. do the calipers twist or go straight back. then i'll be headin up to see this pathy that has been done. do you think i could get a ride also just to get a feel see how it does. that would be a make it or break it ride haha. oh and what size tires are on that thing.

Oh, ok cool. Do you think you could get a pic of how it's mounted to the rail? (Not sure if you could do this since it's not your ride and schedules and blah.)