A necessary evil?

heruak

I'm about to have my timing belt replaced and after looking at the configuration and location of the water pump, I just don't see where or how it would cause the timing belt to slip unless it (the water pump) was just plastered. And if it was leaking that bad, wouldn't I know it before it was so bad that it caused slipping of the timing belt.

Seems like an un necessary expense if my water pump is perfectly fine. I can get the timing belt replaced parts and labor for around 220....but add the water pump and it jumps up to almost 400 dollars. Seems like a rip off :shrug: .

So, how many of you guys have actually had experience with the water pump causing the timing belt to go out? Thanks in advance.

I dont think the water pump would "cause" timing belt failure. But waterpump failure would cause massive loss of coolant and overheating.

I replaced my timing belt a little while ago. Decided not to replace the waterpump at that time. A week later the water pump went out.

I then had to do more or less the same amount of work to get to the busted waterpump, clean it all up, and install a new one.

The reason people do them at the same time is that to get to the waterpump you have to take all the timing stuff off. The pump itself is only about 50 bucks, its the labor cost of scraping the old gasket off the block that causes the price to jump that much. Ask them how much a waterpump would be seperate from the timing belt? I bet it comes to more if they do them separately.

Better in the long run to do both at the same time.

I dont think the water pump would "cause" timing belt failure. But waterpump failure would cause massive loss of coolant and overheating.

I replaced my timing belt a little while ago. Decided not to replace the waterpump at that time. A week later the water pump went out.

I then had to do more or less the same amount of work to get to the busted waterpump, clean it all up, and install a new one.

The reason people do them at the same time is that to get to the waterpump you have to take all the timing stuff off. The pump itself is only about 50 bucks, its the labor cost of scraping the old gasket off the block that causes the price to jump that much. Ask them how much a waterpump would be seperate from the timing belt? I bet it comes to more if they do them separately.

Better in the long run to do both at the same time.

Thanks for the response. Your water pump went out a week later? What a coincidence. I just wonder why in the manual they have no replacement intervals for something so crucial as a water pump....... Makes you think the pump is designed to last.

Same thing happened to me but two weeks later.

I'm not sure, but I think I remeber hearing that leaking coolant all over it could shorten the life of the belt, too. Believe me, I know money is tight so if you don't mind tearing it all apart again I'd leave the water pump. But if will be more of a problem to have an unscheduled repair when it fails, swap it out now.

When I ask Nissan the expected Life span of a Water pump they said it should be replaced after about 120000 kms or so...... If I remember right. Not saying it going to fail at 120001 but if your ripping the T-Belt out anyway and your already past the Mileage then I would say fork over the dough. Otherwise you COULD end up like a few others on here with a working timing belt but a failed water pump and your vehicle is still sitting in the driveway waiting for MORE cash then you would have spent to do them together to do it on its own.

Seems like an un necessary expense if my water pump is perfectly fine.

One of the problems is that the bushing in the water pump wears in for a certain eccentricity. When you remove and replace the fan clutch or even fan blades (like when you replace the timing belt) and remount them, the ballance will be different (most likely). This causes new, different wear on the WP bushing, often enough to cause it to fail...

B

One of the problems is that the bushing in the water pump wears in for a certain eccentricity. When you remove and replace the fan clutch or even fan blades (like when you replace the timing belt) and remount them, the ballance will be different (most likely). This causes new, different wear on the WP bushing, often enough to cause it to fail...

B

This makes sense. I read on a BMW site that they recomend replacing the water pump at every other timing belt replacement. And their timing belt replacement schedule is the same as the 92 Pathfinder....every 60k.

Also, I don't think the water pump is driven by the timing belt. Isn't it on one of the other belts?

Thanks everyone for all the info.

x2.... The 1st belt change I did on Vix I left the old pump on (after being warned) Sure enough I was doing the water pump within a month.

Now I always replace both :aok: