HELP!

robert

So this is the second time this has happened within three months. First Time i parked the vehicle and waited to fix. Anyways, For 3 years my battery light on das would come on and off as it wished. Replaced alternator but same deal always on and off. Three months ago I was drving and smoked rolled from under the hood and the truck died. I put the fire out by pulling out a wire which in deed was a ground wire off the stock alternator. So I parked it for three months and decided to buy another alternator and put it on. So today after I washed the entire vehicle. I was heading to my house to clean myself up and made it probably two blocks from the car wash, and poof caught on fire yet again. =/ Same problem again with the ground wire burning up. I need to find out or if someone could help in disecting the problem. If i need to replace the charging system wiring harness. or run wire straight to battery from alternator. Or what I need to do.

P.S.

My father also said something about it being a shift solenoid for third gear pulling to much power and causing it to burn up since the transmision is partially mechanical/electic for shift solenoids.

If anyone can help please post

or I.M. me Thanks much=)=( :headwall:

Yeah, replaced wires from alternator to connectors. The positive side of alternator didnt receive the damage, it was the grounded that caught fire again. To take it to shop just to look at is $1,000 range and I dont have that type of money.

Thanks for info so far

there are a few places where the engine is grounded. It's not just one wire. If others are bad or missing, there will be too much current through a too-small guage wire and that equals heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so just ground the hell out of the engine block and everything else. With id say mayb some #6 welding wire from my dad's job, also now i need a shift cable because transmission decided not to come out of park and snapped the linkage at the shift arm. =/

would the fire possibly caused the transmision to lock up..

and i think when i get around to grounding everything ill put on jack stands and put in drive when i get fixed to see if it catches fire again instead of being away from where its parked.

would the fire possibly caused the transmision to lock up..

If it fried the tranny brain? The tranny shifts via selinoids, but the shifter arm should atill move...

ill put on jack stands and put in drive when i get fixed to see if it catches fire again instead of being away from where its parked.

This sounds like a VERY good idea!!

B

Try putting the key to the on position, but not starting it. Then test the ground wire with a meter, then do the same with the engine running. I hate to sound like a broken record, but take a look at your fusible links. If they've corroded and shorted to one another you could be throwing juice to the wrong wires. Also, if you find 12v on that ground, start pulling fuses under your dash.

• 2 weeks later...
Try putting the key to the on position, but not starting it. Then test the ground wire with a meter, then do the same with the engine running. I hate to sound like a broken record, but take a look at your fusible links. If they've corroded and shorted to one another you could be throwing juice to the wrong wires. Also, if you find 12v on that ground, start pulling fuses under your dash.

its no problem, still havent had time to work on it though, switched jobs now i only have weekends and have other things going on currently, and no where to park the vehicle to really work on it