suzonka's CHIP KEY/Remote Entry Thread

suzonka

2003 pathfinder LE has remote starter 1 chip key and a cut flat blank ,I called a few lock smiths and dealers for a new chip key to be made, the price is to high for me in my opinion $200.00 . so the next best thing is to Hide the chip key inside in a good place ,Tell the wife never ever remove this key with your pocketbook or its a sure lost key.

Hide the blank cut flat key under bumper if ever needed if wife looses the remote that opens the windows and door locks only it wont start it of coarse without a chip'

and use the remote to start it on a cold day and open and lock the doors , did anyone ever do this?

WHEN THEY say they need your car and your chip key to make another copy of your key, WHY DO THEY NEED THE CAR THERE, what do they actually do to program the key to the car? anyone ever see them do this.any one knows how its done? Do they plug a computer into your car or what? someone said the only reason they need the car there is to see if the new key they make up is accepted by your system in your car. ?

2003 pathfinder LE has remote starter 1 chip key and a cut flat blank ,I called a few lock smiths and dealers for a new chip key to be made, the price is to high for me in my opinion $200.00 . so the next best thing is to Hide the chip key inside in a good place ,Tell the wife never ever remove this key with your pocketbook or its a sure lost key.

Hide the blank cut flat key under bumper if ever needed if wife looses the remote that opens the windows and door locks only it wont start it of coarse without a chip'

and use the remote to start it on a cold day and open and lock the doors , did anyone ever do this?

Nope, I buy old stuff that uses a regular key. :shrug:

The problem with having a chipped key in the vehicle, is that the vehicle always thinks its time to start. Anyone could come along and just shove a screwdriver into your ignition and turn it. The vehicle sees the key and thinks all is well. I would either park in a garage, get a block heater, or just tough it out.

The problem with having a chipped key in the vehicle, is that the vehicle always thinks its time to start. Anyone could come along and just shove a screwdriver into your ignition and turn it. The vehicle sees the key and thinks all is well. I would either park in a garage, get a block heater, or just tough it out.

Even with the key away from the ignition

I think the key has to be directly into the lock cylinder for it to be seen by the black antenna wire draped over the cylinder lock under the dash , because they already have a chip key in the little remote box under the dash.

Edited by suzonka

QUESTION: I just looked over what was under the dash and other is a 3x5 box with a kind of bubble circle on one side with a small hole in it like a microphone, and there is a red and black twisted wire coming out the side of it with some heaver wires next to the twisted red and black wires, and I could see the black antenna wire draped over the lock cylinder,If this is any help ,but what I'm worried about is if I start the engine with my remote and then put a flat key without a chip in it and turn it to the on position will my engine be totally shut down to the point of needing a tow to Nissan.

WHEN THEY say they need your car and your chip key to make another copy of your key, WHY DO THEY NEED THE CAR THERE, what do they actually do to program the key to the car? anyone ever see them do this.any one knows how its done? Do they plug a computer into your car or what? someone said the only reason they need the car there is to see if the new key they make up is accepted by your system in your car. ?

well i would guess they want to test the new key and make sure that its your car

The key has a small microchip inside. It has to be programmed and be recognized by the vehicle everytime the key is put into the ignition. The system has a rolling code function, much like your garage door opener to prevent theft. Yes, a Nissan scan tool needs to be hooked up and the system acessed. There are several codes used to program the key. Some are on the car, others are not. Plus, when cutting a key, they should ask you for identification to prove you are the owner of the vehicle. otherwise, someone could go in with your VIN and get a key cut. Open up your rig and take what they want. They wont be able to steal it unless they have a few minutes and know thier way around they system. Hows that for ya?

Has any one ever locked there chip type key in there pathfinder and then used your extra spare remote to open the door? Will it work or will the chip key inside the car stop your spare remote from opening the door?

Has any one ever locked there chip type key in there pathfinder and then used your extra spare remote to open the door? Will it work or will the chip key inside the car stop your spare remote from opening the door?

Put a window down and try? :shrug:

Yes, the chipped key is only for starting. Newer vehicles that Nissan/Infiniti make, have what is called a intelligent key. This key left in the vehicle and all you have to do is push a button on the ouside handle to get in. the key doesnt need to leave your pocket though. With just a chipped key, a signal is sent out near the ignition switch to pick up the key. It has a very small radius, but a key can be placed near it(not necessarally in it) and the car can be started with a aftermarket auto starter. If you leave the key in the car, you can use the key fob to open the doors. If you lock your keys inside, yes, you can use another programmed fob to open the doors.

What I was stating previously is that I do not like having the key left in the vehicle near the ignition, as it makes it muc eaiser for someone to steal. But its your rig, not mine.

Chipped keys shouldn't be $200. Try Ace Hardware, aftermarket stores or local car audio/alarm install shops. Not sure how the chipped key helps while wheeling, though. Maybe if you wheel it really hard, the key rattles out the ignition and flies out the window, down the hill and into a lake. Or you accidentally fling it into the fire while toasting marshmallows at the campfire. Then again, I've used my remote start 3 times - 2 of them to test the install while at the alarm company. :lol:

Chipped keys shouldn't be $200. Try Ace Hardware, aftermarket stores or local car audio/alarm install shops. Not sure how the chipped key helps while wheeling, though. Maybe if you wheel it really hard, the key rattles out the ignition and flies out the window, down the hill and into a lake. Or you accidentally fling it into the fire while toasting marshmallows at the campfire. Then again, I've used my remote start 3 times - 2 of them to test the install while at the alarm company. :lol:

you have a remote start?... no wonder you were using oil!

The 2003 pathfinder uses a microchipped key.

It looks like this

IMG_3491.jpg

There is an antenna in the key cylinder that reads the microchip when you put the key in the ignition and decices if it is an authorized key or not.

Your truck would use a key with a part# of H0564-5Y700 or H0564-4Z000 (they are both the same)

Canadian retail pricing on the key is $108.57 (club price $92.28)

The key needs to be programmed onto the vehicle with any existing keys that you have, that's why the vehicle must go to the shop.

The consult is used to program the keys into the vehicle's computer.

Shops will usually charge 0.5 to 1.0 hours labor to do this (I charge 0.5, or $45). Sounds like you're getting a quote of 1.0 plus the key would make it around the $200 mark.

Simply having a key inside the vehicle will not work. You are thinking about the new I-key's for the newest vehicle models

like this

NissanKey.jpg

Those won't work on your vehicle.

As for the remote starter. There are 2 ways people install those things. The first way is the cheap - read WRONG way of doing it.

They disconnect the antenna from the lock cylinder, hide a key under the dash and wrap the antenna around it. This allows the remote starter to read a good key all the time and start the vehicle. With this type of system, you can use a regular non-chipped key and start the vehicle every time.

The 2nd way - read the right way - is there is a little box under the dash that wires into the system and sends a signal when the remote starter activates and allows it to start.

If that is your system, if you start the vehicle with the remote starter, then simply put a non-chipped key in the ignition, as soon as you touch the brake pedal, the remote starter would shut off, then the system would see a non-chipped key in the system.

chances are that it would set a code in the system that a non-authorized key is being used, the vehicle would probaly stay running, but as soon as you shut it off, it probably wouldn't start, even with the remote starter. It would probably go into a kind of "theft" mode that would make you wait 30 minutes before restarting.

not a big deal if you drive to work, but a pain in the ass if you just stopped at the store.

There are aftermarket microchipped keys available, I've seen them in the $50 range, but I have no experience with them, as I've never used them.

If you want to explore this route, look in the yellowpages under locksmiths in your're area, and call some up for some quotes. Most good locksmiths will also have the ability to program the keys too, or at least supply you with one that you can have programmed at the dealer.

chiped keys are expensive and yes we do or locksmiths do charge alot for them. The key blanks are expensive for a start and the special key cutting machines, and you will find that you will need all of youre vehicals detals to get one cut.vin and chassis no. for this reason, the locksmith will call nissan with the details to get the code ( chip ) info for youre car. this is also for holden, ford, mitsabishi, toyota etc etc. i have done this before when i was working for a locksmith there is alot of bull and red tape to get this info. this is the reason for the high price. if you dont want to pay that much for a key. well then its time to buy an older car. The cars of tomorow will always be more advanced so grin and bear it. wait till they are finger print starters. it will be a pain if you loose a finger...lol and yeh i have seen them.