Timing Belt Questions

Tungsten

Its about time to do the timing belt and I have a few simple questions

1. Where should I get the water pump and what brand? Should I go to the dealer for this part?

2. What about the tensioner?

3. Which timing belt is better, round teeth or square? The dealer wants $50 for the belt and I don't know what shape that one is. Should I go to the dealer or get a round or square one at rockauto.com?

4. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Now my thermostat, radiator, and hoses are all new so don't count those. :)

I don't want to buy more than I have to because most parts have been already replaced so for the timing belt I think those 3 items should already be enough.

my engine is out of a 94, is it still square?

ah, that makes it more complicated. lol.

If the person who put your engine in used your original cam/crank sprockets then it will be square. If he used the 94's cam/crank sprockets it will be round. Its more likely that he used the 94's, which is a good thing as you get more miles between changes.

To verify you would need to take the upper timing cover off, "Its the only way to be sure"

well the last timing belt change was at 120k and now i have 210k and it still runs lol

its either that the new belt is stronger or the cam sprockets are round toothed

now where should i get the waterpump and stuff? is the dealer worth it?

my engine is out of a 94, is it still square?

He is right, the only way to know is check, BUT if you must guess, order the round tooth belt. Only a twit would replace the round tooth pulleys with the square... :crazy:

Also, check with Alkorahil in the Services section. He has excellent prices so you can probably get OEM for a reasonable price.

B

done

new water pump

new heavy duty thermostat and radiator from before

new timing belt

new tensioner

new seals

new idler pulley (old one was noisy)

new transmission pan gasket

new transmission filter and filled with nissanmatic D

new master brake cylinder

changed oil in transfercase and diffs

and some other things i can't remember now

drives good now and all those parts were from the dealer except the thermostat was a 180 deg stant superstat

happy so far :)

FYI: round tooth it was

Edited by Tungsten

• 4 weeks later...

D'OH looking through the parts catalog it hit me that I never replaced the tensioner spring, I never knew it was a maintenance item when doing the belt.

Am I screwed or what? lol

I don't think so. The tensioner spring almost seems useless to me. You adjust the position with an allen wrench in the hex hole and you lock it all in place with the main nut. There is no way that spring will overcome the 32-43lbs torque on it, so what good is it?? :shrug:

B