welding

guampath

I had a 70a 110v breadbox welder, which was a piece of junk. Couldn't handle more than 1/8" steel. Even then, it was constant wire jams, and hitting duty cycle constantly.

I also have a Ready Welder which, will weld seemingly anything, but does require VERY good batteries. I've never hit the actual duty cycle on the unit, though, batteries do drain quickly.

Now my main welder is a 180a 230v unit. It's a Lincoln. I've used it a fair amount in the last few weeks, and not once has the wire jammed, nor have I hit duty cycle. It has MORE than enough heat for anything I've done (1/4" - 3/8" steel) and I haven't even used the highest heat setting yet.

Personally, having made the mistakes in the past buying crap equipment, if I could do it again, I would have the Ready Welder for the trail, and my Lincoln for home use. The 110v welders just aren't worth the time/money. That said, I have used decent Lincoln and Miller 110v units which far surpassed my crappy Mastercraft model in every measurable category. Better heat, higher duty cycle, better usability, and a cleaner weld.

Yeah, there are some real bottom of the barrel crap welders out there, of all types.

My 110v can't weld sheet metal, it just blows holes in thin metals. If I converted it to MIG, I might be able to. For me though, it is nice not worrying about if I have gas or not, the flux core is ready to go, and at that power range, penitrates much better.

Agreed....I've used both gas and gasless welders, and my own is a gasless model (currently). I like the cleanliness of the gas, but for convenience, you can't beat flux-core!

I bought a 110v 70a welder from Princess Auto for $250.00 that has 4 heat settings and an awesome duty cycle with thermal protection (haven't hit it yet) and rebuilt 2 Pathy frames, built 2 Safari Racks (working on 3rd for Adamzan), bumper fabs, exhaust and sheet metal work and have had no issues with penetration. As for up to 1/4", I would probably invest in a 220v 180amp Mig with the leased inert gas tank (for nice clean welds and longer duty cycle). But for the backyard hobby mechanic, a flux cored, 110 v 70amp welder is a perfect setup.

Plus the 2 plates on the outside of my truck!

That said, I have used decent Lincoln and Miller 110v units which far surpassed my crappy Mastercraft model in every measurable category. Better heat, higher duty cycle, better usability, and a cleaner weld.

I've never hit the duty cycle in my mastercrap welder but I probably don't use it enough. The wire has jammed a few times though. You are right though they are junk. But it is ok to learn with.

What about stick welders? I know a place where I can get one of those older beast Lincoln ones for dirt cheap (farm auctions)...

ive got a 220v lincoln stick welder i got for 100 dollars and it welds everything i point the stick at. for cost effectiveness you cant beat a stick welder i would stray away from 110v 70a cause youll later wish you had just bought the bigger one and saved yourself the frustration time and money

Stick is good, but far more difficult to master.

Not really much harder at all. Hardest part is getting used to the proper distance after sticking the arc and keeping that distance as the stick is depleted. It is just as difficult with wire or stick to get a good and consistant weld, just takes practice.

I learned with a stick welder from my old man and then found mig to be a lazy man's welder, but they are more diverse (sheet metal) than stick for sure...but when it comes to good penetration, you can't X a stick welder.