Rear Disc's

180sx

I've been searching around (maybe not hard enough?) and have found nothing on rear discs. Seems to me that our's never came with them. But what about the Frontier/Xterra? They don't seem to have rear discs either. So are we at a total loss for this? Never will we have available rear discs?

Jose

I beive If you want rear disc you will have to downgrade to the 31 spline diff (or @ least the side gears)and shafts used in a w/d21. and use those axles(and axle seal). I think its that simple but If somone knows that the axle lengths are differant or something pls speak up.

Unless maybe the bearing and baffle form the 31 can be pressed onto the 33 spline but I doubt it.

the 31 lsd also had a breakawaytorque of about 180 ftlbs vs 120? in the 33 spline model. you can re-stack your r50 lsd for the same but you migth as well do it when your doing the swap since you have to get in there anyway.

The wd21's LSD breakaway torque is ridiculous, over 200 ftlbs I think, especially if you're not used to it in the winter.

Edited by adamzan

The wd21's LSD breakaway torque is ridiculous, over 200 ftlbs I think, especially if you're not used to it in the winter.

I'm pretty sure anything over 200 is nearing lockup I'm pretty sure the spec is 180. and yes it does kick a little if you don't let off the gass over ice but that didn't take long to get used to.

I've been searching around (maybe not hard enough?) and have found nothing on rear discs. Seems to me that our's never came with them. But what about the Frontier/Xterra? They don't seem to have rear discs either. So are we at a total loss for this? Never will we have available rear discs?

Jose

It's definitely annoying but not a total loss. The front brakes do 80% of the braking and modern drums are more powerful than the discs of the 70s and 80s. You could get ridiculously heavy-duty pads like EBC Yellowstuff and slotted rotors if braking performance is the issue. (Said by a guy who ruined the vacuum on his engine, but hey, at least I learnt from it. :lol:)

If it's cosmetic, then yeah no luck. You could paint the drums hot pink though! ;):laugh:

If it's cosmetic, then yeah no luck. You could paint the drums hot pink though! ;):laugh:

Thats what I need! Haha...hmm...but I wonder how hard it would be to have something fabbed up for a conversion and use wd21 brakes? or maybe even taking some stuff off newer Nissans? Nah, guess it wouldn't be worth the trouble... Oh well...

Jose

I'm pretty sure anything over 200 is nearing lockup I'm pretty sure the spec is 180. and yes it does kick a little if you don't let off the gass over ice but that didn't take long to get used to.

Well this post by simon seems to contradict that. http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?s=&amp...st&p=384786

The 95's have a beefed up LSD.

Wait..could a company custom make axle shafts? Like make it the right length, with 33 spline inner and 31 spline outers? I wonder...

Jose

I could say the same thing about Tyler M.'s rig. Why go through the effort? The expense? WHy why why why???? SH!T! WHY NOT!?!?! Why did my GSX-R 600 make more HP than a Hayabusa (at the expense of very much needed low-end torque)? Why did my friend lift his Taco 16" (13" being suspension alone)? Why do people put lambo doors on their Ford Taurus'? Why why why? WHY NOT!!

Haha, ok enough rambling. But I'm just curious, that's why.

Jose

OK. So I emailed Moser Engineering (they do all kinds of axle shafts). I'm just waiting on a reply to see what they say. Like I said, I'm just curious...Thats why.

Jose

OK. So I emailed Moser Engineering (they do all kinds of axle shafts). I'm just waiting on a reply to see what they say. Like I said, I'm just curious...Thats why.

Jose

As am I. Been interested ever since getting my R50 and realizing discs in the rear were never a factory option. :thumbsdown:

Keep us posted on any developments with Moser! :aok:

I beive If you want rear disc you will have to downgrade to the 31 spline diff (or @ least the side gears)and shafts used in a w/d21. and use those axles(and axle seal). I think its that simple but If somone knows that the axle lengths are differant or something pls speak up.

Unless maybe the bearing and baffle form the 31 can be pressed onto the 33 spline but I doubt it.

the 31 lsd also had a breakawaytorque of about 180 ftlbs vs 120? in the 33 spline model. you can re-stack your r50 lsd for the same but you migth as well do it when your doing the swap since you have to get in there anyway.

Does any one know the specs for the bearing and baffle for the 33 spline and 31 spline axles? I guess it would be important to know this before anything. Moser does not have the specs for our axles, so before I find those, I should know if we could even swap these at all, huh?

Jose

Thats what I'm talking about! Now I must search until the end of the internet finds me...

According to this site, which has parts, the Patrol 93-97 has rear discs....hmm... :D

japanese 4x4 parts

Jose

Edited by 180sx

OK, so I'm asking the good people on patrol4x4.com to see if they could help. They do have the H233B rear axle on theirs. So I'm wondering if the axle is basically the same, or if I could even do a conversion with their axle parts. I don't see why not, but I also read somewhere that their H233B's are only 31 spline (like the WD21's! AHHH!!). Hopefully not!

Jose

It's definitely annoying but not a total loss. The front brakes do 80% of the braking and modern drums are more powerful than the discs of the 70s and 80s. You could get ridiculously heavy-duty pads like EBC Yellowstuff and slotted rotors if braking performance is the issue. (Said by a guy who ruined the vacuum on his engine, but hey, at least I learnt from it. :lol: )
If your dissin the wd21 rear disc breaks I tell you what;

since my conversion breaking has temedously improved.(yes fluid was bubble free and clean before hand) this old rig stopps better then it ever has before the swap and it has saved my ass a few times too or @ least eliminated the pucker factor one gets from making stops they dindn't think they had room for.

Well this post by simon seems to contradict that. http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?s=&amp...st&p=384786

The 95's have a beefed up LSD.

Ok contradict or not I still think it seemed redicoulus (I keep thinking 180) so I looked it up.....

:( my 1994 fsm says 260-289... :puterpunch: so I guess my memory is roughly 100 off :hide:

lol which is high(compared to others)... oh wait my tires do chirp arround really sharp turns maybe thats why the R50 got less lol

-thanks for challenging back till we got the facts.

Edited by MY1PATH

Sure. It's worth learning, IMO. Whether or not it's financially necessary remains to be seen.

In any event, it's a good thread. :aok:

Thanks Ty!

And thats what this is all about. Learning. I mean we know for the most part what we can do to our R50's. Now I want to know what else we can do. What else can I improve upon? It's a journey, and hopefully the more we learn, the more people fix up, the more we can get noticed by companies and maybe get some aftermarket support, Likely? Not really, but you never know!

Jose

can you build a custom set for me?

Haha. Sorry, thought it was just a little funny.

Well, someone from the Patrol forums says he is pretty sure that the housings are different and the diff is probably the only thing thats the same. We'll see what other people say.

Just bolt on the wd21 rear discs and get a custom caliper mount, then you'll have to get a little creative for the ebrake, like a caliper ebrake, driveline ebrake, etc.

Could it really be that simple? I mean I've never actually taken off the drum before, but would that even work?

Also (a little off topic here), that forum is a little different. The mods there have to approve every posting before it can be shown. or maybe it's just me cause I'm new to it...hmmm...seems liek a lot of work for the mods to do!

Jose