Fog Lights Failed

Kittamaru

Aighty, so, for a while I've had two issues with my fog lights -

1) When you pull the switch, they could take up to 5 seconds to turn on... I'm thinking bad relay?

2) The switch doesn't always illuminate.

Now, they don't turn on at all... and for a while the switch would ALWAYS illuminate (when they stopped working)

Now, neither the lights, nor the switch, illuminate.

I'm thinking the relay is shot... but I don't have a manual and I have no idea where the fog light relay is, or even if they HAVE one for that matter. I know the lights are still good, so it's somewhere else in the circuit - ideas? Any ideas why the switch doesn't illuminate all the time?

If its the factory rocker switch that activates it, it may pay to check it with a multi-meter. I had to pull mine apart the other day as the contact inside the switch must have been arcing which resulted in a poor connection and eventually the switch simply wouldn't work. After pulling it down I simply gave it a light rub with some fine sandpaper and re-assembled. Works a treat again.

It's not a rocker switch at all - under my dash is an orange pull-switch. Pull and the orange light inside lights up and the lights should come on. Push and they are supposed to go off :)

I'm finding more and more non-factory standard things on my truck... has me kinda confuzzled.

Problem is, the truck has only had 3 owners... one of which owned it only two years (1990-1992) before my grandfather bought it (and he never added anything) and then I bought it from him...

And supposedly, the original owner was the CEO of Nissan back in 1990... if that's true or not I can't be certain, but it does have some... unique... features that fit as though they were factory standard.

And supposedly, the original owner was the CEO of Nissan back in 1990... if that's true or not I can't be certain, but it does have some... unique... features that fit as though they were factory standard.

what are these "unique features"?

check the connections of the wires to the foglamps themselves, mine are a bit loose and sometimes stop working.

The foglights are mounted not in the bumper mounts but on supports under the bumper, she came with a slightly different interior than I've seen on other SE-V6's, the VIN is a little odd... mostly just tiny things here and there... the paint and decal job and the combo disk/rotor brakes in the rear being others :)

The foglights are mounted not in the bumper mounts but on supports under the bumper, she came with a slightly different interior than I've seen on other SE-V6's, the VIN is a little odd... mostly just tiny things here and there... the paint and decal job and the combo disk/rotor brakes in the rear being others :)

rear discs were a factory option. Post some pics of that ride dude.

Only reason I haven't uploaded pics yet is... well... two reasons:

A) I was hoping to upload my first round of images as part of a TOTM entry... but without either a good spot to go wheeling to pose, or the chance to repair the major rust damage on the quarterpanels (my poor Sheila! She has cancer of the quarterpanels... and other places :( ) I've been a bit shy about doing it.

Yeah, the paint and decal work is definitely one of a kind... I've never seen another truck on the east coast with even a similar one. I'll see if I can get some pictures ASAP (probably Thursday as that's the only day I can really get a break from the new job, maybe earlier) and then I'll get em up :)

rear discs were a factory option. Post some pics of that ride dude.

I know that they were, except... these aren't rear disks. They're both drums AND disks... funky ass looking thing it is, and replacing both sets of break pads is a little expensive... but on the bright side the truck stops on a damned dime, even if you're towing :D

Actually, I have to change mine every time, as they are used with my normal brakes. I only know this because of the wear on them (and the fact I NEVER use my handbrake). It's kinda cool, and my mechanic says it could be a part of a towing package or something. All I know is last time I had the brakes checked (my mechanic does it while I'm there cause I like to watch and learn stuff from him) he showed me that 'cause he thought it was neat himself :D

No, they aren't used while driving. They're just really thin from the get go, so they look like they're used. They can only be engaged by the park brake cable, as its a mini set of drum brakes in there but there is no wheel cylinder.

You sure? I'm pretty sure last time I had the brakes replaced I had to have all four, and the drum pads looked normal size to me (though... not that I'd really know what normal sized ones WERE... I just know the ones I replaced were a hella lot smaller (and worn out looking) than the ones I had put in). I could be wrong though *shrugs* lol

Only thing I'm not understanding then... why is it the drum part looks as clean as the disk part (eg, no rust, no tarnish, nice, shiny metal) even though I NEVER use the handbrake? Like... I haven't touched the thing more than maybe once since I got the truck *blinks*

Looking around online, I see a few places claiming the Sport Package came with rear drums INSTEAD of disk brakes... *blinks* now I'm really confused...

This is what drum brakes look like..

drum_brake.gif

This is what rear disc brakes look like..

0904tr_29_z%202007_gmc_sierra%20rear_disc_brakes.jpg

Granted it's not a pathfinder but you can see the Park brake cable and the brake line.

I haven't studied my brakes in that much detail yet XD I only got the parts for em, I let my mechanic do the work - they're due soon I think so I'll take a closer look when I get the chance :)