High Output Alternator

new4x4r

Hey everyone, Just wondering who all would be interested in a High Output alternator? The company I work for manufactures alternators for marine applications. I'm in the process of putting one on my truck after my "little swim" put my old one over the edge (I just have to have a little bracket made to extend the top mounting point).

They're quite a bit beefier than a regular alternator, they have sealed brushes (Marine code) and put out 160 Amps while still producing good amperage at low RPM's (idle). Lemme know how many people are interested so I can get some of these little brackets made up. I'll post pics when I have mine installed. I believe dealer cost for these is $360 CDN, and I'm sure we'd get the same cost. Feel free to fire me any questions you've got.

I'm interessted...give more specs though on the different amp at the different rpm... Sealed brushes...?? does that mean water will never kill this alty ?? more details and links if you can baout this can of alternator...

Fleurys, heres the graphs we use. With the sealed brushes it helps keep water out. As for it not being killed by water, you still have to worry about all the dirt/weeds/fish haha that get caught in there and short out the stator.

http://electromaax.ca/160AmpSpecs_SM.pdf

It gives you all the dimensions and whatnot as well

Heat dissipation is pretty good, its just nude aluminum. It has to get rid of heat as quick and efficiently as possible due to its location in its marine app.

If this works out alright for you, is there a chance the w21 models could get the option as well? Many on here including myself would love to have a higher output then the 120 Quest alty's.

I'm going to have a look at all the Nissan Truck altys today to see what we can do... I know the X is *almost* the same. The top and bottom mounting points are in the same position. Its just the top is threaded. But I think the brackets I have being made will work, you'll just need a Nut to replace the threaded piece. As for the WD's, I haven't even looked. But I will! :-)

Heres the pics of it installed, everythings lined up and running smoothly (top idler pullies is squeeling, gonna change the bearing... again)

Install was VERY straight forward. The unit plugs into the factory alternator plug. Battery cable seems to be of the right guage. The little negative lead screws into the top of the case. Bracket can either be put on with two bolts to sit flush to look more original, or with three bolts/nuts to take more punishment. (pictures will show what I mean)

Flush mount bolts:

IMGP1775.jpg

Beefier 3 bolt:

IMGP1776.jpg

This is the fully installed with battery back in its place:

IMGP1778.jpg

And a pic of the clearance at the back:

IMGP1779.jpg

So thats the new alternator. I'll post my amp numbers when I get my amp clamp back. Not too sure if mine will help any, I don't have any compressors, Lights, etc. But you'll see what the regular operating numbers are.

As for the WD21's, it looks like they'll bolt straight up without the bracket. I'll know for sure if/when I look at one. The Xterra looks like it will use the R50 bracket with a but on the end of the top mount Bolt.

The WD21 would need a V-pulley. That's one difference, though, depending on the size of the shaft, it's possible ours could be swapped over.

Hey Simon, yeah we have the V pulleys here. I've got two of the factory altys sitting here, one has the V and the other has the serpentine pulley. Its just the mounting points that look as though they'll line up without the bracket I use on the R50. On top of that, I can use whatever pulley you need. The only problem with the V pulley is you wouldn't be able to use the 160 amp, the belt will slip like crazy (unless you have a double V) But the 140a works fine with the V.

As for Pricing: We'll get dealer price for them, so all the models (120a, 140a, 160a... 180a will be a bit more and isn't recomended due to higher RPM cut-in) will be $360 CDN plus shipping. We have a warehouse in the states we can ship from to make things easier/cheaper for you Yanks :-)

I only know for sure that these will bolt up to an R50. But I'm about 70 percent on both WD and Xterra Applications. I'll be absolutely sure when I get some guys over here to test fit.

to verify, you tested the alternator on your '98 VG33 Pathfinder? do you foresee any issues on a 99.5+ R50?

what is your time frame for accepting orders, and how do you want to go about it? PayPal?

Aren't the 99.5 - 04 3.3's basically the same? I can take orders anytime now for the R50's. We've actually got a guy going to our Buffalo warehouse tomorrow or thursday (I believe its tomorrow though) So I'll send him down with some plugs/Brackets and hardware so we can ship them out from there.. save on costs and time

Aren't the 99.5 - 04 3.3's basically the same? I can take orders anytime now for the R50's. We've actually got a guy going to our Buffalo warehouse tomorrow or thursday (I believe its tomorrow though) So I'll send him down with some plugs/Brackets and hardware so we can ship them out from there.. save on costs and time

96-00 I believe are the same mechanically, 01 to 04 has the 3.5. So will the alt work on the 3.5s?

I'll have a look tomorrow morning. I can compare clock position and the pulley dimensions. But it will be another one of those, 70% sure until I can check with someone with the 3.5L.

180a will be a bit more and isn't recomended due to higher RPM cut-in

thats my only regret about my 180 ford alty. I've got the smallest pulley I can find and the cut in is still just a tad high.