Grill types

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the faux chrome finish on the plastic front grill. I'm guessing it's just a cheap chrome film finish and could probably be removed using a very fine sand paper. I prefer the matte black plastic finish and am curious if anyone's ever attempted removing the junky chrome.

I have seen other trucks of your generation with no chrome at all on them around here.

Mine is all black, came like that from the factory. I'm just curious if that crappy chrome film on the LE model's grill can be easily removed. :shrug:

Maybe just get another grill? Less work!

It isn't for me. A friend with a '97 SE wants to lose the chrome grill but would rather not spend the obscene amount to replace it new.

I've got the matte black grill but it would be good to know if that chrome film could be removed without much trouble. :aok:

Cross canada lists a black grille for $178 bucks. Probably would look a lot better than paint.

Might be able to get one from a salvage yard.

We've explored that option already. Spending more than $20 on this project is out of the question... :lol:

Google can be your friend here Ty, this might be of assistance

http://www.modelsbuzz.com/chrome-removal-226385.html

Thanks, Dave! There are quite a few different ways. Let the experimentation begin! :beer: