Adding an aftermarket Automatic Transmission Cooler ?

That looks good. Probably what I should get. I should really get around to installing one.

Though my auto trans has seemed to make this far with no external cooler.

I have 170k ish miles.

Yes...but that is like me saying that I've made it to 66 and smoked cigars all my adult life, ate butter sandwiches,

drank booze and made love to questionable women and here I am going strong....

So therefore, doing all that must be good for me.

I might drop dead tomorrow morning while taking a dump. How ignominious....just imagine.

BUT - if I stop all that bad stuff and repent and do only good things, I certainly will live another 30 years....

Right !

Well, the facts are that adding a cooler keeps the ATF cooler and extends the Transmission's life -

so...'git 'er done ! - or do you want to buy another transmission and pay some

dude $90/hour to install it ?

BTW - I intend to keep smoking Cigars, drinking Beer and at least looking at and appreciating the

finer aspects of the female of the species....even tho at 66 I can't do anything (as if I'd get the chance!).

You put's yer money down and ya takes yer chances.....no guarantees.

DoctorBill (the philosopher)

PS - Do those 4 little little "stick" things they give you to "pin" the cooler to your radiator really work well?

I would think the two of them vibrating would cause the Cooler to rub the radiator and eventually booger it up.

Edited by DoctorBill

Yes...but that is like me saying that I've made it to 66 and smoked cigars all my adult life, ate butter sandwiches,

I might drop dead tomorrow morning while taking a dump. How ignominious....just imagine.

*snort*

Ok Elvis... :D

Do those 4 little little "stick" things they give you to "pin" the cooler to your radiator really work well?

I would think the two of them vibrating would cause the Cooler to rub the radiator and eventually booger it up.

That is how the PO mounted my tranny cooler (had some adhesive cushion pads inbetween the two) and it was suprisingly effective. I hard mounted it though, just because I'm like that... :shrug:

B

I'd be smoking a cigar, but "she who must be obeyed" won't let me smoke in the house....

do you watch Rumpole of the Bailey??

Its pretty easy doing the cooler. I mounted mine in front of the radiator with the stick mounts. I actually attached it to the A/C condensor as it has larger holes for the plastic things to go through. Plus that way I could remove the radiator if I needed without messing with the tranny cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

wow what a thread, I like this guy and his philosopy.

"finer aspects of the female of the species....even tho at 66 I can't do anything (as if I'd get the chance!"

shoot you should see my dad, he is 1 or 2 years older than you, married, and still pulling the females, some in their 20s. Now I never said they are the most attractive, but not that bad either, anyways gotta give my old man props for that.

BUT - if I stop all that bad stuff and repent and do only good things, I certainly will live another 30 years....

Right !

Well, the facts are that adding a cooler keeps the ATF cooler and extends the Transmission's life -

so...'git 'er done ! - or do you want to buy another transmission and pay some

dude $90/hour to install it ?

BTW - I intend to keep smoking Cigars, drinking Beer and at least looking at and appreciating the

finer aspects of the female of the species....even tho at 66 I can't do anything (as if I'd get the chance!).

You put's yer money down and ya takes yer chances.....no guarantees.

DoctorBill (the philosopher)

PS - Do those 4 little little "stick" things they give you to "pin" the cooler to your radiator really work well?

• 5 years later...

Anyone put 2 new coolers in line while cutting out the old one? I added a cooler and ditched the stock but under moderate highway conditions i'm still reaching 180 deg. wondering if i can piggyback another. I could go bigger but it would start to interfere with the grill I think. The new cooler is a B&M @ 13,000 BTU

I used a Tru cool 18 000 gvw cooler. It's physically smaller than most coolers since it's a more efficient design so fits with no problems and it has a built in bypass valve that bypasses coolant from the cooler until it reaches temp so you don't have hard shifts from over cooling when it's cold in the winter and u first fire up the truck

Edited by Nefarious

Anyone put 2 new coolers in line while cutting out the old one? I added a cooler and ditched the stock but under moderate highway conditions i'm still reaching 180 deg. wondering if i can piggyback another. I could go bigger but it would start to interfere with the grill I think. The new cooler is a B&M @ 13,000 BTU

I started out with a smaller cooler but it was running a bit on the warm side, I'd heard of some others here using the ford explorer cooler so I added that to the other one and now it very seldom gets above

180/190 degrees

180 is what the radiator cooler theoretically cools the ATF to (the temp of the radiator), but that is not necessarily the temperature that the tranny is running at. I consider 200 degrees to be the max to be running at for any extended time, that is plenty warm and any hotter and the ATF breaks down much more rapidly.

One key to remember that a tranny is going to run the best/longest at a stable temperature within it's operating zone (thermal expansion and viscosity effects).

Every factory mounted additional cooler I have seen (ie, tow package) were in series with the radiator cooler and almost always after it. The main reason to bypass the stock Pathfinder radiator cooler is due to clogging issues, but once that is addressed with a filter there is no harm is using it. I am convinced that the best all around, most stable set up is to run out from the tranny into a temp gauge, into a filter, into the radiator cooler, into an auxiliary cooler, back to the tranny.

There are threads here discussing all of this.

B