Which lift for my R50

hazco21

all the opinions here gonna be biased cause everybody has run one or the other, but nobody has run both

but going off what ive read, i prefer the OME which has been tried and tested in the outback of australia

AC 2" lift springs have no evidence of R&D but that guy xplorx4 did moab with the 2" lift so it cant be bad :)

Edited by FUELER

"Which lift" is a bit like the "which beer" question. Everyone has an opinion and an experience but ultimately it comes down to what you'd like out of a lift. OME makes nice products but the OME lift doesn't give you quite as much lift as the AC lift. Some would say the 0.5"-1" difference is negligible. Others would say it makes all the difference in the world. The KYBs are an excellent strut. Bilsteins are great, but if you want adjustable shocks, Rancho seems to be the way to go given the sheer number of people who have them. :shrug: Guess it'd help to understand your goals/budget/priorities etc.

OME HD 1.75" coils, KYB GR-2 struts w/ OEM hardware, Bilstein 5150s with no sway bar in the rear. :aok:

tekaz, i'm just wondering... does it really give you the 1.75"? I think OME website says the coil only provides .5" lift. and i figured that ud be the best person to ask since you have it installed on the pathy. thanks,

tekaz, i'm just wondering... does it really give you the 1.75"? I think OME website says the coil only provides .5" lift. and i figured that ud be the best person to ask since you have it installed on the pathy. thanks,

All I know is they're the OME HD coils installed and they offer way more lift than .5" based on how it sits. In the front, I'd say it has settled between ~1.25-1.5"; the rear ~1.5"-1.75" (but I don't think the rear has necessarily 'settled' as there's hardly any weight there).

As far as I know, OME offers a range of coils in various sizes and types. 0.5" is the least, 1.75" is the most.

Check with Fueler, too. There are also a couple other members here who have them installed. :aok:

All I know is they're the OME HD coils installed and they offer way more lift than .5" based on how it sits. In the front, I'd say it has settled between ~1.25-1.5"; the rear ~1.5"-1.75" (but I don't think the rear has necessarily 'settled' as there's hardly any weight there).

As far as I know, OME offers a range of coils in various sizes and types. 0.5" is the least, 1.75" is the most.

Check with Fueler, too. There are also a couple other members here who have them installed. :aok:

Okay... that sounds good to me. I guess when the springs are settled, the difference in the lift provided by AC and OME HD lift are probably negligible. Thanks man, ;)

Okay... that sounds good to me. I guess when the springs are settled, the difference in the lift provided by AC and OME HD lift are probably negligible. Thanks man, ;)

No problem. That's what my take on this whole AC/OME debate is. :aok:

Great, thanks for the info everyone now i just have to get on buying one of the two lol.. also one other question... has anyone rebuilt the 5 speed tranny in one of these? mine out of nowhere is kicking out of gear in 1st and when I drained the tranny fluid I found teeth...... which i believe belong to the synchros or else 1st gear:(

Has anyone used a double stack of the rocky road front coil spacers with the OME coils?

Can somebody post a side pic of their rig with OME coils with a single spacer or with a double stack?

Did they measure closer to 5/16 thick?

Edited by sthrnfat

Those spacers look good but the rocky road versions are a good bit cheaper. Want to get close to level with the OME coils but keep the cv angles on the safe side. I know...manual hubs. Anyone using the rocky road trim packer spacers?

if you want to keep the CV angles safe, don't get strut spacers. at full droop the control arm will be hyperextended in relation to factory spec. at that point you're approaching the workable limit of the CV angle, and you definitely don't want to be cranked on the steering wheel and heavy on the skinny pedal.

if you want to keep the CV angles safe, don't get strut spacers. at full droop the control arm will be hyperextended in relation to factory spec. at that point you're approaching the workable limit of the CV angle, and you definitely don't want to be cranked on the steering wheel and heavy on the skinny pedal.

hey alex, did you install lift on the r50 or are you still running stock coils? and what tire size r u running? im just wondering coz ur r50 seems to be doing lotsa cool stuff too.

2.5 years running with 1" spacers, OME HD's, the same CV axles that came with the truck, and now at 311 Km's... Maybe I'm cautious in skider trails and mud, or maybe it's just not as bad as people have made it out to be.

I blew a CV in my 01 only because a big tree branch ripped the boot and by the time we drove back into town the boot had been mixed with mud and sand in the grease...

But to each their own due diligence, which your also helping to provide.

Cheers.

hey alex, did you install lift on the r50 or are you still running stock coils? and what tire size r u running? im just wondering coz ur r50 seems to be doing lotsa cool stuff too.

i'm still on stock coils with KYB GR2 struts and Bilstein 7100 rear shocks. tires are 265/70/16 which is a 31in diameter.

2.5 years running with 1" spacers, OME HD's, the same CV axles that came with the truck, and now at 311 Km's... Maybe I'm cautious in skider trails and mud, or maybe it's just not as bad as people have made it out to be.

I blew a CV in my 01 only because a big tree branch ripped the boot and by the time we drove back into town the boot had been mixed with mud and sand in the grease...

But to each their own due diligence, which your also helping to provide.

Cheers.

yes, to each their own. from what i've seen of CV trail breaks, it's because the driver had the steering wheel cranked and they were WOT. a loaded tire with that much angle with that much power going to it... something is going to give. i'm not trying to scare people away from strut spacers, just educate them that the suspension will be hyperextended at full droop. if you think about it, the tire will probably in the air if it's at full droop, so you shouldn't have an issue with CV breaks. the opposite CV angle is another story, though... :D