Question, how is it everyone with a VG30E is getting better MPG?

Astroc2002

It's a 21.1 gallon or 80 litre tank. Read your manual.

Unfortunately when I got the Pathfinder it didn't come with the Owner's Manual, just the shop Manual which I can get anywhere. :blink::shrug::headwall:

I had to deal with the same design with Nology's M70 Ignition and it fried my ignition wires, so 8222 is the same thing. But if you look at the 8228 Dodge Late Model while running at 40k volts it will be a direct plug-n-play unit while bolt up without any problems. But I just sent a message to MSD Ignition to confirm a problem free issue with 8228 coil. :crossedwires:

MSD Ignition 8222 MSD Ignition 8228

8222_full.jpg8228_full.jpg

Which would people go with without cutting the stock Ignition wires, not being a punk, but hey its obvious and its a simple question. :itsallgood:

That's pretty neat that the 8228 @ 35K volts seems like it's more within range(spec from summit) looks like it will fit the stock backet and maybe the stock plug. but the Nissan coil is female so you'll still have to modify 1 igintion wire. As far as being the same as the nology are you talking about Voltage (45k) or Primary/Secondary resistance and Iductance as well? these are other factors that effect compatibility.

Good find tho, I'm looking foward to their reply

Yeah I know, I drove for like 70 kilometers on the gas light because no places were open on my way home from brantford at 3:30 in the morning. I filled the tank the next day and it took 77 liters out of 80 :ohmy:

That's true, but I'm going still talk it over with the mechanic who rebuilt the engine and see if the fuel mixture could be too rich, because I know when its warming up it has a nasty smell of fuel coming from both engine bay and the tail pipe. Almost to the point that there's excess fuel not being burned in the cylinders, how ever I have yet to have a back fire. Don't know. :scratchhead::FartExplode-vi:

O2 sensor issue?

Just to add to the fun here.. are your sure you are almost out of gas when you are checking your mileage? I thought I was getting around the same mileage as you until I decided to see how far I could push it. My gauge said I was empty, but on fill ups I was only getting in 15 gallons. I still had 5 gallons in the tank when I thought I was almost out. :shiftyeyes:

Mileage should be calculated per gallon, the only way to make sense...

To narrow it down I'm running stock 4.10 gears, 235/75R15 Yokohama HT-S Tires

I thought the Pathys came with 4.3x or 4.6x ratios...

B

O2 sensor issue?

Mileage should be calculated per gallon, the only way to make sense...

I thought the Pathys came with 4.3x or 4.6x ratios...

B

The O2 Sensor is new.

I've calculated it and I'm getting like 14-15 in city and 16-17 on highway.

And as far as I know it's a 4.10 Ratio, I'm going to double check on it later and I'll get back to you.

sounds like an AIV problem, not going into idle,

Therefore running rich (air injection vavle) at idle.

Mine does this.

You know I think you might be right on the money, because the idle drops when I run the A/C or Defroster and another member of this forum informed me to have the Idle Up Solenoid and Control Valve checked out. But I'll ran it all by mechanic next week to have him check those two items and the AIV.

I don't know if this has anything to do with those three items or not but ever since this past winter every time my Pathy gets cold and I try to start up the next day the RPM's will start dropping from 1k to in between 400-500 RPM's and then it'll slowly recover it self to maintain normal idle when warming up. Thought I might throw that out there for any idea's. Sorry a little off topic. :rant2::shrug::headwall:

It's a 21.1 gallon or 80 litre tank. Read your manual.

I have a 1993 manuel(mines a 95 but It didnt come with one so I got one at the junk yard)

It says 20 5/8 gallons

or 15.1 for the small tank

My lit has never come on but when I got it it was below E and I drove it for about 15 miles before filling up and it took 20 gallons even(well I shut it off at twenty)

Edited by nismothunder

The O2 Sensor is new.

I've calculated it and I'm getting like 14-15 in city and 16-17 on highway.

And as far as I know it's a 4.10 Ratio, I'm going to double check on it later and I'll get back to you.

Look on the fender tag(P side fender by the engine) if theres a 4.3 on it then it 4.30 and if there a 4.6 then its a 4.60

on my latest dune trip i recalc'd the mpg....and again BOTH ways, it took apx 6 gallons, and i went between 130-147 miles.....so apx 23mpg highway...

When i fill up this week i'll check...right now im @ 300 miles from full tank of gas of city driving....

Who knows!

I didnt see it, but I may have missed it, but did anyone ask what your timing is set at? If you just have the motor freshend up, your timing could be off. Also, check for any vacuum leaks. Both could throw your mileage off.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Look on the fender tag(P side fender by the engine) if theres a 4.3 on it then it 4.30 and if there a 4.6 then its a 4.60

Well on the tag it said something similar to what you stated such as (HG46), so therefore I take it it's got a 4.60 gear ratio... Why such a low gear ratio as opposed to American vehicles with like a 3.73 or a 4.10 ratio? Besides the fact the lower the ratio the more power there is when using four-wheel drive. :shrug::blink::scratchhead:

I didnt see it, but I may have missed it, but did anyone ask what your timing is set at? If you just have the motor freshend up, your timing could be off. Also, check for any vacuum leaks. Both could throw your mileage off.

As far as I know the timing fine, but with all of the different things to check up on to solve this problem not for another two or three weeks. Because right now I've been informed to have the Idle Up Solenoid and Control Valve inspected when A/C or Defroster is on, and have the (AIV) Air Injection Valve checked and check for any Vacuum leaks. So there's alot to do before I can narrow it down as to what is causing the problem. :rant2::headwall::itsallgood:

Well on the tag it said something similar to what you stated such as (HG46), so therefore I take it it's got a 4.60 gear ratio... Why such a low gear ratio as opposed to American vehicles with like a 3.73 or a 4.10 ratio? Besides the fact the lower the ratio the more power there is when using four-wheel drive. :shrug::blink::scratchhead:

Because that's how they can get away with using a 155hp engine and not have it be a snail. Plus we've got a 6k redline, look at most American trucks, their redline is 4.5 or 5k and most people never rev them above 3. And these motors seem to last way longer too. Hmm. And that 305 gmc Sierra is almost as gutless as a pathfinder is. Considering how heavy the truck is and the motor is only 192 horse or something like that.

Edited by adamzan

Because that's how they can get away with using a 155hp engine and not have it be a snail. Plus we've got a 6k redline, look at most American trucks, their redline is 4.5 or 5k and most people never rev them above 3. And these motors seem to last way longer too. Hmm. And that 305 gmc Sierra is almost as gutless as a pathfinder is. Considering how heavy the truck is and the motor is only 192 horse or something like that.

You almost forgot, we usually get better gas mileage with better gearing/smaller engine than those big trucks ;)

Idk bout you guys, but when I'm cruisin up a dune, and it sticks up there in the 6000rpm, it sounds GOOD! Still sounds like it just rolled off the line!

That's true about it needing a low gear ratio to compensate the low horsepower. :goodpost:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remeber which thread was the one where people were talking about engine rpm on the highway but here is my 95XE auto with 4.6 gears doing what the speedo thinks is 70. My truck came with 235s so the speedo is off about 10 percent so its probably going closer to 80mph.

Not that high after all.

I don't remeber which thread was the one where people were talking about engine rpm on the highway but here is my 95XE auto with 4.6 gears doing what the speedo thinks is 70. My truck came with 235s so the speedo is off about 10 percent so its probably going closer to 80mph.

Not that high after all.

Funny, your pathfinder's speedo can register up to 160mph where my 94 pathfinder's gauge only register's up to 100mph. Nissan must have made a bit of a performance gain in 95 over the 94. Or they just adjusted the rev-limiter and top speed and added a higher MPH Speedo. Then again who knows, I'm just guessing. Plus for you to pull 110mph at only 3k RPM's now that's impressive, mine hits 3k RPM's at 70mph. I get the gut feeling that something is wrong with my pathfinder, either its the drivetrain or its envolving the engine or both it's hard for me to figure this out.

:headwall::blink::rant2::shrug::wacko:

Funny, your pathfinder's speedo can register up to 160mph where my 94 pathfinder's gauge only register's up to 100mph. Nissan must have made a bit of a performance gain in 95 over the 94. Or they just adjusted the rev-limiter and top speed and added a higher MPH Speedo. Then again who knows, I'm just guessing. Plus for you to pull 110mph at only 3k RPM's now that's impressive, mine hits 3k RPM's at 70mph. I get the gut feeling that something is wrong with my pathfinder, either its the drivetrain or its envolving the engine or both it's hard for me to figure this out.

:headwall::blink::rant2::shrug::wacko:

his spedometer reads up to 160kilometers per hour, that is equal to 100mph, hes canadian ;)

His spedometer WAS reading 70, but he says its 10% off so more like 75-80 and he was @ 3k rpm ;)

Edited by OldSlowReliable

Well going to gilbert witch is about 150 miles from my house I got 21.73 mpg going 60-65mph.I used 87 octange and a fresh(other then a little K&N oil on it) Fram air filter and 5w-20 motor craft synblend oil.I liked the mpg but I will not say that this oil is a good oil,I think it was just to thin for my engine with 187k on it.