loud engine noise maybe lifter or engine knock

Did you look @ the rockers/shafts when you replaced the lifters?

I've pulled 2 engines that have had bad scoring on both the alloy rockers and the steel shafts.

Rockershaft.jpg

Sludge.jpg

Wow no i overlooked that. I will go check them. However thats alot of crap in that valve cover in your picture, My rockers and lifters all looked clean. But there was desent play on the drivers side rocker arms is this normal or should they have tention on them at all times?

Edited by 4wheeldrivefun

The top pic was out of an engine that "looked" clean. The funny thing is that the sludged up heads weren't that bad :lol:

My 88 also looked clean, but had BAD scoring on the Right head. VVV

DSC01678.jpg

All my lifters look clean no scoring and they slide easy. I have only 60 psi on the rear 2 cylinders on the drivers side. so i am doing headgaskets and I am having trouable geting the cylinder head off. Eveything is dissconnected and the head bolts out. Just wont come off?

there is a little tab on each head that has a small 10mm bolt connecting to the block. on the passenger side the tab is at the back, on the drivers side it is at the front close to the distributor well. that might be why they arent coming off.

btw, sounds like a lifter to me.

Pulled comprpession #'s dose anyone know what the spec is on this? cyl 1,2,3,5 i had around 150 or better

Cylinder 4,6 I had around or less than 60 psi So i went head and toor down the engine to do headgaskets. All valves and lifters have been inspected and look good.

iphonepathfinder023.jpg