dash questions?

Hi all,

Well my water temp. gauge and my fuel gauge work when they want to> I was wondering if i can pull the whole gauge cluster from another pathfinder similar in year and plug it in. Would it work? my temp gauge and my fuel gauge accurate when they decide to work.

Edited by dctoves

'90 is pretty much the same as '89 except there's an extra wire/connector that you have to hook to ground so that your PRNDL21 lights work when the headlights are on. That's the extent of my gauge swapping. The temp seems to read the same between those two years. Oh yeah, one is orange and one is white.

'90 is pretty much the same as '89 except there's an extra wire/connector that you have to hook to ground so that your PRNDL21 lights work when the headlights are on. That's the extent of my gauge swapping. The temp seems to read the same between those two years. Oh yeah, one is orange and one is white.

I have the v6. Would it matter if it is from a 4 cyl. motor. I just wanna be sure before i get it.

I have the v6. Would it matter if it is from a 4 cyl. motor. I just wanna be sure before i get it.

I don't know for sure on the Pathfinders, but often the tach is set up for a specific number of cylinders. Unless somebody else here knows for sure I'd stick with one from a 6 cyl.

I just swapped my 89's with 1990 hardbody. It didn't have tach so I used my old tach and the white letter tach card I found in a 92or93 pathfinder. both rigs did not have a CEL on their cards (weird) so I cut where the light should be and slid my orance CEL in its place.

the clock, I also took out of the 92or93 so that I could be done w/ that orange color for good.

Next will be the blue LED's so that its blue @ night. and lastly I wanna find one of those mechanical units that has 2 trip meeters instead of 1.

I have one of the either 87 88 or 89 clusters.....worked to my understanding but you will need to configure the needles they were taken off when my freind tried ti put white guages in but never finished so he put it back together and gave it to me. wont work in my 92. idk if u cant find one let me know its not going anywhere reads like 230k miles though. everything seemed to work in my 92 besides the cluster but ik for a fact all the needles are probably off so remember how yours is and just make it the same. PM me about it. I had to do this to my 92 after i fixed my original dash and changed the color of it

Edited by edicer2

all the needles are probably off so remember how yours is and just make it the same. PM me about it. I had to do this to my 92 after i fixed my original dash and changed the color of it

the speedo needle moves all the time(on the inside) so you can't put it back the same. the only way to set it is to but it one @ speed w/ a GPS or take it to a speedo shop where the turn the speedo unit @ 1050rpm and place the needle @ 60mph. (as printed on the speedo card)

Not to call you out but actually you can its a little spring in there you need to just get the spring rate correct... I was able to do it to mine. I would put it on and see how far it was off with a short test drive becasue i knew what speed i should be going in 4th gear so I stuck to that and it came out perfect. since i drove for 6 months with out a speedo i knew that from drivng past speed senors. (mines a manual) So if it was off then i would pull it off and stick it further down from the peg and then stick it up on top of the little peg that holds it so it there is some tension there for the spring. After about 6 tries or so i got it spot on i have driven past the speed senors they randomaly place in town to tell you to slow down and it has been on every time. you do the same thing for all the needles. the tach one is easy too you just need to turn the car on and see whats its ideling at( with the old one) then take the new clust and keep tring it until u get it to what the oringal read. thats what i did with all my needles on mine when i took it off to change the back lighting (i didnt change the bulbs i put blue plastic behind the panels). Works fine for me and is as accurate as it was before i took them off. I garentee that this method works. Plus there are no speedo shops where i live so this was the only way for it to work for me.

Edited by edicer2

Not to call you out but actually you can its a little spring in there you need to just get the spring rate correct... I was able to do it to mine. I would put it on and see how far it was off with a short test drive becasue i knew what speed i should be going in 4th gear so I stuck to that and it came out perfect. since i drove for 6 months with out a speedo i knew that from drivng past speed senors. (mines a manual) So if it was off then i would pull it off and stick it further down from the peg and then stick it up on top of the little peg that holds it so it there is some tension there for the spring. After about 6 tries or so i got it spot on i have driven past the speed senors they randomaly place in town to tell you to slow down and it has been on every time. you do the same thing for all the needles. the tach one is easy too you just need to turn the car on and see whats its ideling at( with the old one) then take the new clust and keep tring it until u get it to what the oringal read. thats what i did with all my needles on mine when i took it off to change the back lighting (i didnt change the bulbs i put blue plastic behind the panels). Works fine for me and is as accurate as it was before i took them off. I garentee that this method works. Plus there are no speedo shops where i live so this was the only way for it to work for me.

Dude- you should start a speedo shop! That was a seriously cool thing you found there- nice use of the noggin.

• 2 weeks later...