frame repair

Okie-dokey,so I had my p-side of my frame replace about a year and half ago...now I need to have the d-side done...well last time I didnt trust my welding skills so I sent it out to be repaired.

Since then I've done a lot of welding at a friends house on body patchs,quertiers,rockers and floor pans on old cars and trucks,Plues I made a bitching winch mount outta 1/4 inch angle iron(receicer hitch mount style) so I'm now confindint in my welding abitlity so I'm doing it myself...

So...

Should I drop the tank to weld on this side(fuel and brake lines on this side)

What thickness metal should I use(I was thinking 3/16 or 1/4)

I'm going to use my free Dayton welder(got it from my dads buddie)

Any other thoughts would be helpful

3/16 should be enough, the frame's not very thick to begin with. You can attempt to remove the gas tank or simply shield it with something inflammable, which would be tons easier.

and fill er up! i read somewhere that a full tank of gas is less likely to catch fire than one party full, as only the vapor ignites....

But if your doing tig, you shouldn't have any issues (relatively low temps outside of the weld point) as far as gas goes...depending on how your fixing it, you should be alright...and just about the same with mig....

I however, wouldn't suggest oxy-acetylene ;) for obvious reasons

Naw, its a fully electric wire feed welder,I was thinking about gas or a stick but this one was free...all it needed was a new tweeco tip so I got it for 6.25 for parts.I also mayget a stick welder from the same guy but I dont really want it now that I got the wire feed.

I was thinking of welding some sheet metat together so it be used as a sheild

Edited by nismothunder

Thats what I thought but the guy that welded the p-side said he didnt have to move any thing cause the lines where one the other side...ohh well I'll look tomarro,

He probably ment other side of the frame rail, they run down the inside of the passenger frame rail. As for the gas tank, yeah, fill it up, make sure you have no leaks, and throw a welding blanket on it if you are working close.

Well I got a big stack of what looks like1/8 inch stock but they look like my dad made them for speaker stands(sitting off or the work bench or something)but I dont know if I can use them(about 20 3/5 inch peaces...just the right size for patching the big holes(not welding to junk metal)Will probly start tommaro...I'll keep ya posted.

Naw, its a fully electric wire feed welder,I was thinking about gas or a stick but this one was free...all it needed was a new tweeco tip so I got it for 6.25 for parts.I also mayget a stick welder from the same guy but I dont really want it now that I got the wire feed.

I was thinking of welding some sheet metat together so it be used as a sheild

If you ever get a chance at a tig welder...GET IT.....its so much more fun ;)

mig is what you want to use for this job. IIRC

I kinda agree....atleast, thats what I would personally user vs the others....tig is a little more difficult and like he said, the precision isn't really needed....stick is nasty and could blow through thinned out frame....

Show some pics when your done :)

My 75 amp mig can blow through a pathfinder frame in the non thin area on setting 3.... These frames aren't thick to begin with. They are a high carbon steel I believe, thinner but stronger. Not absolutely sure on that though.

My 75 amp mig can blow through a pathfinder frame in the non thin area on setting 3.... These frames aren't thick to begin with. They are a high carbon steel I believe, thinner but stronger. Not absolutely sure on that though.

My 80 amp flux core blew a couple holes where the metal was stable, but thinner. I need to patch a few more on my 93 here soon, new spots have showed up since my original patch job.

Well I took my wheel off and looked at it...the patchs arent going to work so I'm getting longer pieces sometime this week...

Well I cleaned the rust out and I found thar I entire frame rail(wheel well back) was full of mud...I mean it was packed and with rust flakes in it it was a pain in the ass to clean out...

The welder is a Dayton 85 amp,wire feed using flux cord wire.

Welds very nice

I have one laying around...someplace...I'm just to lazy to look for it...would of been easyer/faster then attacking the mud with a flathead screw drive and enginebright,brakecleaner...but I got some good fums...