clunk noise from rear '01

ok so i havent posted in a while, but here i go.

i always hear a clunking noise from the rear end of my '01 pathy when traveling over bumps in the road. there is one specific intersection where there is a bump straight across the road and everytime i go over it the clunking noise happens.

i dont know what could be wore out...i am slowly approaching 100K and ive never changed the suspension. and i am unaware if the previous owner changed shocks...

help please.

also posted on nissanforum.com

1st I would check sway bar links. In both my 97 and 01 the links started making noise around 100k miles.

2nd I would check the rear control arms, my 97's bushings were so worn they made noise, my 01 isnt to that level yet though.

3rd would be the shocks

4th and this one is a stretch, my exhaust rusted off right after the flange after the center muffler and the rear pipe would bang around on bumps...

thanks alot for the info.

ill have to look at the sway bar links and then control arm bushings...

will respond back when i figure out the problem

Having the same problem...it sounds like my jack under the rear seat was loose or something.. Nothing was wrong under until I raised the truck. There I saw my upper arm link bushing that was kind of kinked instead of straight... I have also found this has being the culprit by doing more search in here... Someone else also had the same symptoms...

S.

Having the same problem...it sounds like my jack under the rear seat was loose or something.. Nothing was wrong under until I raised the truck. There I saw my upper arm link bushing that was kind of kinked instead of straight... I have also found this has being the culprit by doing more search in here... Someone else also had the same symptoms...

S.

I am having the same problem. Can you be a little clearer on upper arm link bushing. Or show a pic? Have you fixed it yet? I will be replacing my rear shocks soon. Spent some time underneath replacing fuel filter, fuel filter bracket (bolt rusted/broke), and replacing rear axle fluid and didnt notice anything bent.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem. Can you be a little clearer on upper arm link bushing. Or show a pic? Have you fixed it yet? I will be replacing my rear shocks soon. Spent some time underneath replacing fuel filter, fuel filter bracket (bolt rusted/broke), and replacing rear axle fluid and didnt notice anything bent.

Thanks!

OK,, sure thing..

Here's what the bushing looks like : http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts2/inde...241517~241517~0

then this bushing goes in here , it is the number 8 . : rear-suspension.gif

No I did not change it yet, but it is obvious that it is screwed. I have taken a picture. If you look carefully , you can see a little bit that the rubber has started to rip off or tear. :

dcp_1749.jpg

I have also confirmed with my mechanic that is is very likely the source of the noise. I will be changing them soon.

Edited by fleurys

fleurys,

Big Thanks I will check them out tomorrow! Much Appreciated. I have a lifted Explorer with leaf springs and am not familiar with the suspension on the Pathfinder. If it is just a few bolts to replace the bushings I may replace them even if they do not look bad. The bump drives me crazy. Keep us posted on the fix/brand bushings you replace with etc. Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if pulling or replacing these bushings in the stock link requires any special tools? I know certain bushings can be pressed in/out by hand (or hammer/hand tools) and some require a press to set them in place.

Was talking to a mechanic that said there is a technical service bulletin that shows the need to replace the upper and lower links when the sway sets in with higher mileage. Mine has the sway so will be swapping them out before long. Would rather go the cheap route with new bushings in the existing arms if it's something that can be done without a press.

Where is the best online pricing for the upper and lower control arms?

You need a press for the bushings. OR, you can cut the rubber out (or burn them out if you please) then take a Sawz-all and VERY CAREFULLY cut the sleeve in half and pry it out of the arm. Then press the new ones in (get some poly bushings if you can!)

I get all my Nissan parts from here:

Auburn Nissan

Jose

Edited by 180sx