poor man's locker

mudfinder

you guys have probably heard about poor man's locker how you pull the e-brake and it supposably lockes up the rear tires. well i tried it and it sure works, it works real well. i went wheelin today with my buddy who has a 4x4 4runner, we same up to the pretty steep and twisted hill, he tried to climb it but couldn't do it, so i decided to try it anyway, when i got up half way, my rear right tire would just get nothing but air, the second time, just before the rear right tire went up in the air, i yanked on my ebrake and i just shot up the hill.

post-1-1092729275.jpg

i'm running 33x12.50 on 15x7 wheels. NO, i don't have any problems with the rear hatch or the back passenger window, however i do sometimes have problem the the rear hatch window, the latch sometimes doesn't hold. i just try not to use that one.

i'm running 33x12.50 on 15x7 wheels. NO, i don't have any problems with the rear hatch or the back passenger window, however i do sometimes have problem the the rear hatch window, the latch sometimes doesn't hold. i just try not to use that one.

I had a problem once whole driving with the windows down at night. Drove many miles home and just as I was pulling off the offramp, the thing popped open from the cross wind I suppose. Scared the ^%$$!!! out of me for sure! Guess it just wasn't fully latched. Don't know if that's a common problem though.

I was Thinkin of Removing my Center Console and Mounting dual Ebrake levers (left for Left Right for Right). this way i can lock up ONLY The Wheel thats Spinning.. Any Ideas on that? I got the Ebrake Levers and cables already.

Reminds of a time two of my friends one with a stock 2wd 1995 f150, and the other with his 2002 offroad edition tacoma. There was a VERY steep hill that the tacoma couldnt take even with his rear wheel lock in, but then the ford pushed down his ebrake a little biut and sure enough he got up the hill. Funny stuff :P

• 2 years later...

I have thought about this and I didn't even know that it existed, How does this system work cause I really want to do it.

Edit: but I want to be able to control individual tires

Edited by Jdpathy

Wouldn't this burn up the E-brake pretty fast though?

I do like the idea of installing twin E-brakes, that'd probably be a pretty easy mod to install and would work pretty well. How expensive is an additional E-brake though?

yeah, you don't want to buy a set of those from the dealership. I have disc brakes on the rear and they cost more than the primary brake pads do.

The e-brake thing barely works, and only some of the time. Try it yourself. If you're in a spot where you get one rear tire off the ground and can't make any forward progress, pull the e-brake while gassing it. Sometimes it will slow down the spinning wheel and allow the other one to grab more.