Center Console Removal

Anyone have any tips on the removal of the screws that are at the bottom of the bottomless pit in the center armrest? I've been dinkin around with these things for like 2 hours. Can I do anything under the pathy? Can I use a socket, or as 88 said in a post I researched, are they actually not like the other four and are actually round screws? :scratchhead: Any help much appreciated

The issues I had with removing the center console was that the screws were caked in crud from all the drinks that spilled onto it. They're smaller size screws not like the outside ones with the big head. I think I ended up just ripping it out.

yep mine are caked like a mofo, I got most of it out, just wondering if i can use a socket, I can't figure a way of getting all the crud out and a socket would be easier than a friggin screwdriver right now

i just took mine out to cean it the other day, and i believe mine were the socket/phillips screw thing, and they too were caked in BAD smelling gunk....

Id suggest, if you haven't already just drop an extended ratchet in there with some diff socket sizes, and if that doesn't work, and you can't get the screwdriver to sit in there, either rip it off, use something to cut the plastic that houses the screws, or just leave it :(

Maybe 88 was talking about a diff console year, but in my 91 xe 4dr im pretty certain they are not round, but ill def go check

edit--

nope, all of mine are the same type of bolt, just one pair is a diff length

I checked the sizes, and this is the only combo i could use to get @ the bolts-

1/4" ratchet

10" extension

10mm 12 point socket

I had about 1.5" of extra with the 10" extension, and anything bigger than a 1/4 socket/ratchet/extension wouldn't fit into the cavity

Goodluck! :D

ps- id imagine that you could use some pb blaster, orange cleaner, or something like that and spray it in there then use an awl to pick it away from the bolt :)

Edited by OldSlowReliable

i just took mine out to cean it the other day, and i believe mine were the socket/phillips screw thing, and they too were caked in BAD smelling gunk....

Id suggest, if you haven't already just drop an extended ratchet in there with some diff socket sizes, and if that doesn't work, and you can't get the screwdriver to sit in there, either rip it off, use something to cut the plastic that houses the screws, or just leave it :(

Maybe 88 was talking about a diff console year, but in my 91 xe 4dr im pretty certain they are not round, but ill def go check

You should have a tap screw and a grommet. The problem people often run into is the grommet is spinning with the screw when you rotate it so you are not loosening anything no matter how much you turn..

If you can...lift the front of the console up, take a flashlight and some long long pliers or (small helper hands) grab the grommet and hold it while rotating the screw.

The issues I had with removing the center console was that the screws were caked in crud from all the drinks that spilled onto it. They're smaller size screws not like the outside ones with the big head. I think I ended up just ripping it out.

I ended up doing the same. My screws were phillips and buried under an inch of dried coke and coffee( I could smell it after I let it soak for a few hours). After I ripped it out I found some unused plastic grommets right next to the one I trashed. I cleaned up the console , moved the grommets and reassembled. I also took advantage of the opening to vacume that "no mans land" between the console and seat.

• 1 month later...
Anyone have any tips on the removal of the screws that are at the bottom of the bottomless pit in the center armrest? I've been dinkin around with these things for like 2 hours. Can I do anything under the pathy? Can I use a socket, or as 88 said in a post I researched, are they actually not like the other four and are actually round screws? :scratchhead: Any help much appreciated

I don't know if this is too late, but I jus got my 95' PF and went to remove my center console as well.

The screws are originally phillips but like mine the previous owner/s my liquids were spilled down there and the screws were so corroded I ended up jus pulling it out.

Luckily the grommets came out easy with little to no damage to the console.

I cut off the old screws, got new grommets from the Nissan dealership, and new screws from Home Depot.