Off Road Safety and Passengers?

Even though I have done no off roading per say, I curious what many of you do, DO YOU USUALLY HAVE PASSENGERS IN YOUR VEHICLE.....If you have children, Do They Go With You??? Car Seats for Children? 5 Pt. Harnesses?

I ask because I'm married and have a 4yr old, wondering if any of you take your families/friends OFF ROADING? Safety Issues I should look out for?

Also, Friends of mine go off roading almost every weekend in a place called WELLSVILLE, OH. Anyone been there...been there once and its a blast lost of Buggys and Small SUV Trackers, Suzuki Samuris, jeeps, etc. I'm curious how a Pathfinder would do there?

Well yes of course you bring friends with you!!!! Share the off road fun!!!! But in terms of safety its a mix...most of the time when you are on relatively easy trails i have my head out the window looking at stuff for wheel placement and stuff, but as soon as it gets more of a hill then I come inside and buckle up. Reguardless the passenger should always be wearing a seatbelt. In terms of kids I dont know what you would do, no experience in that field and I dont want any, any time soon. And just go for it, there is only one way to find out the limits of your rig off road, to just go out there and do it!!

My $0.02:

I make my decision depending on the type of trail and activity. If it's light, easy and popular with plenty of daylight left, I go with as little as 1 or no passengers. Chances of getting stuck are low and if you do get stuck, someone will be along or you can call/hike for help. At the other end of the spectrum, if it's difficult and you've never been on it before, you'd want at least 1 passenger and really you'd want another rig with a winch.

Also depends on the end-goal. If I'm out doing photography or just getting away from it all, I prefer to go alone. But if it's for fun, well, the more the merrier!

Dunno about wife and kids. Don't have any. Well, none that I'm aware of. :) (Hey, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!) Just kidding.

Don't forget - having passengers means you can easily take pics and clips! Trails come and go, pics of conquering your own private Moab are forever! :)

I always like to have someone around, either a passenger or driving in another vehicle, especially here in the desert.

Yes, I have taken kids - 3-4.5 yrs old, and they have a great time, even on some of the more difficult trails. Usually set them up with a portable DVD player, and a few movies. Stop for stretch and rock tossing breaks, and back on the trail. Certainly not good for an all day adventure though. They have been in standard age/weight appropriate car seats.

Make sure you have the child locks on the doors!! A requirement all the time on and off road. A buddy and I take our kids (1+1=2) if the trail is appropriate and they have a blast together. Good to get them outdoors too.

Wife doesn't like to go - car sick from time to time.

I've gone off-roading lots of times with passengers. They're buckled in just the same as any other ride. If a child is a passenger, follow the child seat laws just as you normally would. The only real difference between off-roading and highway driving (besides the bouncy uneven ride) is that your and your passengers' safety is entirely in YOUR control, whereas on the highway you never know when the drivers around you are going to do something to jeopardize your safety. If you intend to drive rally-style or Baja1000 style, then perhaps you should consider a roll cage, 5-point harnesses, and a helmet for everyone.

Just FYI, every year, the off-road club I'm in volunteers to transport disabled children to a wilderness adventure camp, accessible only by 4WD. It's a total blast, and no extra safety precautions are needed, even for handicapped children. Of course, the trail isn't insanely difficult, and with prudent driving is absolutely safe. There have never been any transportation safety issues.

Here's an article about the trip (click here) and this video highlights the purpose of the camp.

Edited by XPLORx4

Just FYI, every year, the off-road club I'm in volunteers to transport disabled children to a wilderness adventure camp, accessible only by 4WD. It's a total blast, and no extra safety precautions are needed, even for handicapped children. Of course, the trail isn't insanely difficult, and with prudent driving is absolutely safe. There have never been any transportation safety issues.

Here's an article about the trip (click here) and this video highlights the purpose of the camp.

Dean I applaud you and your group. That is simply great!

As for children, I have three and always buckle them up. What child wouldn't love to be running through a trail with mud flying everywhere, especially when it brings you to a remote fishing spot. Kids are a blessing and I choose to include them in all of my activities, as long as safety is always on your mind there are no issues. Now the dog... he's a little more difficult... :)

Dean, Have you guys ever been in touch with Disabled Explorers? They might be able to help out with your trips, too. http://www.disabledexplorers.org

Also, back to the original question at hand, as long as the passengers are secured safely and properly in the vehicle, there's minimal risk, no more so than you face yourself. If it's their first time out, I'd suggest taking them on some lighter trails to get them accustomed to the "bouncing and banging" a bit before tackling the more hardcore stuff.