Howdy from DC

GoPathyGo

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and finally registered. These forums have been a great source of information and I thought it was high time I became a bit more active and gave back.

I just bought an '03 Pathfinder LE. This is my first Nissan. I used to be a Land Rover and Toyota guy. But my wallet got sick of the Land Rover bills and, around here, used low-mileage 4Runners and Cruisers in good condition are very expensive. I have a bit of Nissan experience, though - 2 years ago, a pair of 15 year old Nissan pickups got a bunch of us up a steep hill (no road, plenty of rocks, enough mud and ruts to stop a stock Cruiser) in Cambodia without breaking a sweat. I came away impressed. Got a great deal on an '03 in mint condition and am spending the money I saved on mods. Did test the '03 out on some berms and uh roads with steep grades on either side. ;) With no mods and Forteras on 17", the little LE scrambled up everything nicely. :)

After those tests, I've ordered the 2" AC lift (found out about 'em via this site), Rancho front/Bilstein rear, skids, brush guards and a few minor add-ons. Putting BFG A/Ts on today. Used to Duelers so went with small (255/70/16) A/Ts for now.

Looking forward to taking her on her first trip offroad. Anyone know any good trails and quarries in Metro DC/MD/VA ? Also, any recommended installers for all this gear ?

Thanks

welcome to NPORA! lets see some pictures of that beast! sounds like its coming a long! I know what you mean about the expensive bills my parents have a 91 landcruser in decently shape that they want to sell and get something smaller.

Anyone know any good trails and quarries in Metro DC/MD/VA ? Also, any recommended installers for all this gear ?

Thanks

Welcome. There's really nothing in the metro area, as, I'm sure you're well aware, it's all pretty overdeveloped. There's the George Washington National Forest in Virginia that's got several pretty awesome trails, and several places in Maryland once you get a couple hours outside of DC. NORA (http://www.nora4x4.com) is having our annual spring event the weekend of April 25th up at Rausch Creek in Jolliett, PA (about 40 minutes past Harrisburg).

Anyone proficient in suspensions should be able to do a good job.

Welcome. There's really nothing in the metro area, as, I'm sure you're well aware, it's all pretty overdeveloped. There's the George Washington National Forest in Virginia that's got several pretty awesome trails, and several places in Maryland once you get a couple hours outside of DC. NORA (http://www.nora4x4.com) is having our annual spring event the weekend of April 25th up at Rausch Creek in Jolliett, PA (about 40 minutes past Harrisburg).

Anyone proficient in suspensions should be able to do a good job.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone and for the info, vengeful. As far as the Metro area, yeah, it was really more hope that there were some "secret" quarries or areas that only those "in the know" knew than anything else. :) Good to hear about the GW Forest trails; I'm familiar with the MD state forest trails. Was planning to first "break in" all the various componentry (this thing is bone-stock and hasn't seen anything more fearsome than a driveway in its 5 years of existence) in some muddy fields or quarries and the lighter MD trails. Kinda get a feeling for the truck, too, before I make a fool of myself and land a** over elbow in a ditch! Heh.

If everything's installed and I have a better sense of the truck, I'll definitely try and make it up to Rausch Creek.

Pics to follow once I find the USB cable for my camera!

welcome to NPORA! lets see some pictures of that beast! sounds like its coming a long! I know what you mean about the expensive bills my parents have a 91 landcruser in decently shape that they want to sell and get something smaller.

Aight, finally found the cable! These aren't great - weather here crummy - but they will show the starting canvas. She's pretty much stock, as you can see. Only changes are the BFGs on 16" wheels and a pair of PIAA headlights (stock ones were very weak). Hopefully the real stuff - suspension parts and skids - will arrive this week. Will post as I start to fill in the canvas!

Update: So I uh got impatient and decided to revisit some berms in the burbs. My excuse was that I needed to get the soap off the new BFGs and "test the new BFGs out". *cough* As you can see I was a wee bit of a dork... But not bad for a stock Pathy with 70k miles on it! That lift kit better arrive soon! Hehe

Edited by GoPathyGo

Looks good man! I am located at UMD in College Park, so I am not too far away...keep us updated

Thanks! Once I've got this thing set up properly and tested, we should get together and do some wheelin'. You can show me the Nissan ropes!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, but Mike...I'm still showing YOU the Nissan ropes. :P

And, don't worry. I've got a little something up my sleeve.

So...how bout them Caps tonight!?

Solid outing if I don't say so myself. The Rangers didn't even show up. :lol:

Welcome to NPORA btw. Nice rig! :aok:

• 5 weeks later...