Speedometer calibration

Having a lifted R50 has slightly alterred the accuracy of my speedometer reading and if I'm not mistaken the ODO reading must be slightly off, too...?

I wonder if anyone's ever done a recalibration on a R50 speedometer/odometer to make it accurate with larger tires. :scratchhead:

Now what about the odometer?

The bigger the tire, the longer it takes for 1 revolution. Your speedo/odometer will actually read lower than your actual speed, therefore your odometer will accumulate slower that it actually should.

Never really a big deal for most people, it's the other way around that would cause issues.

I agree with the GPS idea, that's what I did, or you could use

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It will tell you the % off your new tires are, so just add that. I found using GPS that when I was going 100kph by speedo, I was actually running at 110kph.

So I know now that if I'm on the highway, keep it around 90-95kph and I should be fine.

You'll have to swap out the pinion gear on the speed sensor to get the speedo corrected. Problem with that is the speed sensor is a REAL PITA to get to and remove. After you remove your old one you can figure out which new one you need to buy at a dealership, if they can get one.