CAT ONLY--No Muffler--

Camera1

My Nephew has a Dodge Ram Pickup truck. He is running headers to a Magnaflow High Flow Cat, straight through to a long pipe to the back, as in NO MUFFLER. I think it sounds good and is very responsive above & beyond S-T-O-C-K. I did think about a "TEST PIPE", I wrote that idea off because it seemed like cheating. I never thought of omitting the Muffler. His V8 is not overly loud, He has had this setup for about 8 years. His truck isn't raising any POLICE EYEBROWS. Anybody tried that?

Yes it would work but not sure if it would have a big effect on the performance, depends on the muffler you have and it's current condition. However, it would not be legal, because afaik all area of the US require a muffler to be street legal. And lastly, don't expect the same sound from your truck that the V8 Dodge pumps out ;)

I run no muffler and a Magnaflow hi-flow cat, have for a long time now. High RPM response (4000 RPM at 67 mph) is much better than with a muffler, like the freeway and accelerating past 60 mph. It did do something to the torque curve from lack of back pressure, less grunt from a standstill through around 3000 RPM but that doesn't bother me too much. The added freeway pull is quite considerable over running a full proper exhaust system.

I also don't get any beef from the cops, and I pass a lot. I've had it screaming past a cop before and he didn't seem to mind. It really is no louder than a ricer with a fart can muffler on it.

Fuel mileage will not be affected, but if it is it will only be marginal. Maybe 1/2 mpg better if that. I didn't gain or lose any.

But because your truck has a 4 speed tranny (I assume) your RPMs will be much lower than mine (3 speed tranny) so I doubt you'll see the benefit that I have with mine on the freeway.

Here's a pic of here mine dumps. I'll bet you can take some flexible exhaust tubing to cover the gap the muffler leaves if you wanted to run it straight to the back end. I may end up doing this later.

exhaust.jpg

Edited by Kingman

afaik all area of the US require a muffler

I dont think SC does...i know htey dont have inspections and insurance isnt required so why would they require mufflers...probably a Db level if anything

Edited by unccpathfinder

yeah, i have had no muffled on several of my vehicles.. just cats.. and they are louder but not enough to get the attention of the popo's.. never had an issue... and if you'd add the extra tail pipe (mine were all broken just beyond the cat) then it would be that much quieter.