DON'T overtighten axle bearing!

magregor

I replaced axle bearing and both seals...everything seemed to be working fine until...well, i almost saw my wheel/axle roll past me. Hope not to experience that again!!!

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

What happened was I had put new seals in that side and when I put the bearing in, I should have either taken the other side apart to get an idea on how much play should be in the bearing, or look at the manual...So, I tapped the bearing in, locked it down, but didn't leave any end-play and it only took about 30 km and it sounded like my hold down pins in my brakes let go at first...the truck dragged to a stop...At that time, it was still in one piece. I turned the truck around after i figured things cooled down enough, as I was only 3 km from home...well, the next thing I saw was my wheel creeping out! there was nothing left of the bearing or the hub! The backing plate was still intact, but the bearing got chewed so bad, it let the axle pass through the hub, thus letting the axle pull out. I added one more pic on my link above.

That will teach you to say "go go gadget wheels"!

I was thinking the same thing this morning, but thought I wouldnt in good taste. At least no one was hurt.

My brother had a Holden Ute when he was younger, someone tried to pinch his rims but they must have been spooked, the next day he was doing 60km/h down a fairly busy road when he saw one of his rear wheels pass him, luckily there wasnt any weight in the back of it, so it didnt damage anything