timing problem

michael

Not until I can get home to some manuals. It has been posted many times is timing belt threads so if you need the information immediately, search would be your best friend.

B

From my Nissan PDF

Total teeth on belt 133

NUBER OF TEETH BETWEEN TIMING MARKS;

Between LH & RH camshaft sprockets 40

Between LH camshaft sprocket and crankshaft timing sprocket 43

does your belt not have alignment marks on it?

yes my timing belt does have marks but there is no mark on the crank sprocket for me to line the mark up to

!?!? My guess would me to be damn sure the crank is @ #1 tdc but that seems sketchy to me...

ya i know what your saying there thats why im afraid to start putting it back together but i have a theory that a previous owner has taken it apart and put the crank sprocket on backwards only problem with that is that i cant seem to get the sprocket off to see if my theory is correct

The sprocket is flat on the side that points away from the engine. The side that points TO the engine has a channel machined into it. So if you see the flat side staring at you, it is probably correct. You should take that sprocket off anyway to do the crank seal. There is absolutely no reason to skip doing your crank and cam seals while you are in there doing the belt. The seals are less than $5 each. That is a pretty cheap insurance policy.

Edited by Indigent

The sprocket is flat on the side that points away from the engine. The side that points TO the engine has a channel machined into it. So if you see the flat side staring at you, it is probably correct. You should take that sprocket off anyway to do the crank seal. There is absolutely no reason to skip doing your crank and cam seals while you are in there doing the belt. The seals are less than $5 each. That is a pretty cheap insurance policy.

While I agree with the logic presented here, I, personally, do not touch the cam or crank seals when doing the timing belt. I am always afraid that I will cause a leak by improperly installing the seals, or by loosening some crud that's holding the oil in the engine. This is something where I believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Hasn't failed me yet. :shrug:

While I agree with the logic presented here, I, personally, do not touch the cam or crank seals when doing the timing belt. I am always afraid that I will cause a leak by improperly installing the seals, or by loosening some crud that's holding the oil in the engine. This is something where I believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Hasn't failed me yet. :shrug:

same here on this particular item.

i'll take care of his sig in a minute.

ya it went away somehow is wished i could have i didnt know how though but i would have been glad to do that

I think a mod took it away for viewing ease. I'm sure there will be no problem if you re-post it as long as it is smaller.