Limited Slip Differential

Reiner

Just bought a 94 Pathfinder and want to change all fluids. In order to use correct differential oil I need to know if rear differential is a limited slip.

How do I know if my rear differential is a limited slip ?

Vehicle is a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, SE, V6, Automatic Trans, 165,000 miles

I lifted rear axle and turned one wheel, other side turns in opposite direction. Does this mean I do not have a LS differential ?

Couldn't find any tags on rear axle ?

Thank you everybody for your advise and help.

Just bought a 94 Pathfinder and want to change all fluids. In order to use correct differential oil I need to know if rear differential is a limited slip.

How do I know if my rear differential is a limited slip ?

Vehicle is a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, SE, V6, Automatic Trans, 165,000 miles

I lifted rear axle and turned one wheel, other side turns in opposite direction. Does this mean I do not have a LS differential ?

Couldn't find any tags on rear axle ?

Thank you everybody for your advise and help.

look at the sticky in the garage section! Gesh!!

Thank you for your help.

Since I am new to this it took me a while to figure out what "sticky" is.

I took my Pathfinder out in the desert yesterday evening and stepped hard on the gas pedal. It put down 2 nice ruts. So I have a LSD. It will not work if vehicle is jacked up and you try to turn wheels by hand. I guess it needs more revolutions to activate the LSD than it's possible by manual turning the wheels.

Thanks again

Reiner

Thank you for your help.

Since I am new to this it took me a while to figure out what "sticky" is.

I took my Pathfinder out in the desert yesterday evening and stepped hard on the gas pedal. It put down 2 nice ruts. So I have a LSD. It will not work if vehicle is jacked up and you try to turn wheels by hand. I guess it needs more revolutions to activate the LSD than it's possible by manual turning the wheels.

Thanks again

Reiner

that is not necessarily a definitive test. you could have lsd with worn out clutches. However the fact that you do not have a sticker and when you spin the wheel the other one goes opposite direction are 2 answers that point to No LSD. yes your sticker could have come off and yes your clutches could be worn out, but the chances of both I think are slim. To be safe you could put the LSD additive in, It wont hurt anything if you are open diff.

in regards to your test in the desert with no resistance to either wheel , both wheels will spin, so that test is a bit flawed

my 87 is open and doing burnouts in the driveway I could spin both wheels...but they would alternate back and forth and sometimes just the right one spun but there was a lot more tire right on that side but like I said i know its open but I left 2 marks but not every time

you obviously never been/seen stuck in the sand.

*sigh*

I live at the beach 3 months out of the year.

But no sense in arguing extremely minimal points with you, you're so literal that the slightest un-clarified statement from anyone gets ragged on by you.

Edited by Kingman

there is a difference between stuck in the sand and on top of the sand. I think he ment On Sand. Not stuck in sand.

Relax. Guys.

Edited by msavides

I say rebuild your rear diff and put a posi-lock in it or an all time locker in it. (not sure if its really called "all time" or not)

I appreciate the advice, but I am mechanically not that good. I had in a prior vehicle (2000 Silverado 1/2 ton) an Auburn LS installed and it cost me $900. Unfortunately at this time I can't afford a purchase like this. But I will keep it in mind for the future.

Thank you all which answered my post.

You are Gentlemen

Reiner

I say rebuild your rear diff and put a posi-lock in it or an all time locker in it. (not sure if its really called "all time" or not)

lock-rite or lok-rite I can't remember or a detroit....I know the lock rite it was incredibly easy on my buddies chevy and the detroit was pretty easy on my buddies jeep...