Ask me not where it goes...

Pinip

Ask me not why i write this...but it is certainly not a joke from what i observe...

i am 55 years old... i have travelled a lot since my 20's...right up the Artic and coast to coast and north and south of this continent and across...by boat, planes... But back on land, i always dreamed of a 4x4, which i do have today... for this simple reason...i have seen this world change...and not for the best... i figure that i might have a chance of survival to radical climate changes...just because i own a 4x4... a Path, although it is old... i know it can make it...probably longer than i can...lol

But...Imagine yourself... in the middle of the night, any time, doens't matter where you live... you have to get out of your house in a hurry... you have to run for your life...what do you do ? are you ready ? everything happens in seconds...You have to save your family...you have to stay alive... hey we are not talking about ''birds '' of Alfred Hichkock...we are far further now...

...flood, earthquake, fire, volcano,Tsunami...name it... you got it all in the states lately !!...

first step, if possible, is to escape...right ? how ? one option is your vehicule...[/size][/size] are you ready for survival ? fuel capacity, food, first emergency kit, clothing, blankets, food, water, tools... oh yes i read about the topics of ''what do you carry along'' ...Have you ever thought that it could be for more than a little ride in the bushies ?

Imagine you have to go for a month ? what would you think of carrying then, for your family and the Path ? Imagine you have to survive longer than a month !! just imagine that you cannot come back to where you live, there is no come back...you are the headlight of what is next !! Do you know what is eatable in the woods, and what is not ? have you ever thought of the name of plants and their medicinal properties since all pharmatical medicine are directly produced from those plants...i think that is what survival is all about...don't worry...i am not a grass hopper... i thouth of eatable meat...and rats are part of the menu... LOL

As they say, Better be prepared than... sorry...

... I just have a tendency to start to understand ''the theory of chaos...'' and i know it's at work...

Now in the house, I have always lots flour to make bread...yes i make my own bread...after the road was cut of for a week...just in case. Just imagine in plastic containers what you would like to carry in the path if you go camping for more than a month...countless of the perpective of any disaster...

P.S. Mind you : you don't have to carry everything in your truck...until...it ever happens... but if ready, it takes only few minutes to get it aboard and fly... all to say... why i rely so much on my old Path...it may be just ''stock'' or ''oem'' as you guys say... but i know what it's been through... and can go through...

Edited by Pinip

I've had me a list of things to do for about 6 months now as far as food and what not is concerned...I have 2 places on the west coast that I can go and survive...and leaving the homestead won't be an option at his place...he has an arsenal as well as food and is working to be completely self sufficient outside of the "rest of the world"

If I were back east it would be the same thing...that being said right now i'd be stuck...i've got only 1 box of shells and enough canned food for maybe a month by myself.

My plan has been to stock up on non perishables and MREs and fresh water, which i typically have 15 gallons for my saltwater fishtank on hand unless its getting towards the end of the 2nd week and i've been slacking in refilling the jugs...I really need to get on schedule with all of that stuff but i'm just a slacker as usual

I've had me a list of things to do for about 6 months now as far as food and what not is concerned...I have 2 places on the west coast that I can go and survive...and leaving the homestead won't be an option at his place...he has an arsenal as well as food and is working to be completely self sufficient outside of the "rest of the world"

If I were back east it would be the same thing...that being said right now i'd be stuck...i've got only 1 box of shells and enough canned food for maybe a month by myself.

My plan has been to stock up on non perishables and MREs and fresh water, which i typically have 15 gallons for my saltwater fishtank on hand unless its getting towards the end of the 2nd week and i've been slacking in refilling the jugs...I really need to get on schedule with all of that stuff but i'm just a slacker as usual

unccpathfinder !! unbeleivable...you are so quick...

am i nuts or realistic ?...

unccpathfinder !! unbeleivable...you are so quick...

just have nothing better to do and crawl through the forums way too often. Heh thats a lie but I'm on my way to bed so i wanted to pass through to check on new threads...

I don't think it is unrealistic. I think the degree may be higher than what actually may take place but then again it may not. I know what I should have which pretty much follows in line with what you mentioned above but like I said I haven't followed up on it yet. I know a guy that has ammunition for guns that he doesnt own "b/c as they close in and the battle commences you will need to pick up other weapons" The guy is an awesome guy and I don't think he's crazy b/c if the crap hits the fan he will be ready.

Me i'm behind and I have the minimal resources to get by and believe i have the ability to and contacts to get by...i'm a white collared-blue collared man so I've got some smarts and some common sense where most of my friends are all blue collared so they will support me if I can bring something to the table...and I can rig about damn near anything to make it work so thats a big of what I have to offer.

but yea I don't think you're nuts but there are some folks out there that may think you are and some that think that you aren't extreme enough. I think its a matter of you know you're thoughts and what you would want to do in a situation to make it. For me my family is all 2500 miles away and they should be able to do fine on their own...me i'm here by myself with nothing to support but myself so I can afford to a certain limit to be behind where I think I should be but if its worse and I don't make it then its darwinisim at its finest and it was my time to depart. But that better not happen until I get my truck up and running and back on some trails

Although I own one. I don't think a Pathfinder is the "best" survival vehicle.

Probably a much better one would be a jeep,Ford or Chevy so spare parts were easier to scavenge.

But like unccpathfinders friend storing bullets for guns he doesn't own. (good idea :aok: also think bows/crossbows)

Any vehicle that's drivable & not stuck in a traffic jam will be very valuable indeed.

Plan on fighting to keep it frequently.

Quads,dirt bikes & especially bicycles/snow shoes (no gas? No problem!) might be able to get you out of

certain areas faster than a truck.

Edited by jitterymonkey

just have nothing better to do and crawl through the forums way too often. Heh thats a lie but I'm on my way to bed so i wanted to pass through to check on new threads...

I don't think it is unrealistic. I think the degree may be higher than what actually may take place but then again it may not. I know what I should have which pretty much follows in line with what you mentioned above but like I said I haven't followed up on it yet. I know a guy that has ammunition for guns that he doesnt own "b/c as they close in and the battle commences you will need to pick up other weapons" The guy is an awesome guy and I don't think he's crazy b/c if the crap hits the fan he will be ready.

Me i'm behind and I have the minimal resources to get by and believe i have the ability to and contacts to get by...i'm a white collared-blue collared man so I've got some smarts and some common sense where most of my friends are all blue collared so they will support me if I can bring something to the table...and I can rig about damn near anything to make it work so thats a big of what I have to offer.

but yea I don't think you're nuts but there are some folks out there that may think you are and some that think that you aren't extreme enough. I think its a matter of you know you're thoughts and what you would want to do in a situation to make it. For me my family is all 2500 miles away and they should be able to do fine on their own...me i'm here by myself with nothing to support but myself so I can afford to a certain limit to be behind where I think I should be but if its worse and I don't make it then its darwinisim at its finest and it was my time to depart. But that better not happen until I get my truck up and running and back on some trails

''if its worse and I don't make it then its darwinisim at its finest and it was my time to depart... from a Injanear'd Redneck university graduate ? mah !!! undoubtedly...survival instinct is still asleep i think !! :friday:

Edited by Pinip

A bit paranoid me thinks but...

yeah, fuel would be a huge concern. if sh*t really did "hit the fan", panic consumption of fuel would increase, production and transportation of fuel would decrease.

The safest thing to do would be to build a bomb-shelter/bunker underneath your house with proper ventilation, storage, supplies etc.

That would be easy enough to stock for one to two adults, but if a family is utilizing this there has to be even more preparation. Babies need certain fats that are not widely available in sources that they can eat properly, so therefore certain oils must be stored to accomodate for this.

For short term survival of say, a natural disaster, having 2 weeks or so of emergency supplies would be adequate.

For more extreme cases, like nuclear war, the sky is the limit on what you should have. At that point everything and everything becomes more valuable to survival.

One good thing is that if there were to be a nuclear war, radiation will supposedly dissapate in about 2 weeks. However, whether or not anything could survive the impending nuclear winter is another question.

built a still...and have enough mash...you can make fuel...I don't know how well it would burn in a pathy but I have heard some stories of "back in the day running my old car off of some white lightening b/c that's all we had to get to the next station"

and go to the southeast b/c if you think it's overboard you should check what a lot of "my people" have going on...they aren't prepared for a fallout but they are prepared for "civil war 2" which my buddies grandfather has been talking about since i can remember and after watching an episode on the history channel about our evolution to chaos...right now we're about 5 years ahead of what they were projecting and right on time for what the ole man has been preaching for years.

One example was last summer when the hurricane was projected to hit and almost every gas station was out of fuel and gas shot up over $5/gal down there...my cousin called me at like 6am my time on sat telling me to fuel up before it went up...prices went down here in CA that day...but they took about 2-3 months to recover from...hell you had people stealing tractor trailers and emptying stations at night stealing fuel

and go to the southeast b/c if you think it's overboard you should check what a lot of "my people" have going on...they aren't prepared for a fallout but they are prepared for "civil war 2" which my buddies grandfather has been talking about since i can remember

yeah...thats the south, where they still havent gotten over the fact they lost "civil war 1" lol(please dont take that as offensive, I am a proud member of Sons of Confederate Veterans)

i do think it is a little paranoid on a wide scale unless there is mass famine or some such, which i dont think is possible in the US at the moment (we would buy all the food and let other countries starve if it came down to it). on smaller scale, natural disasters and such are a breeding ground for criminal elements and all sorts of nasty things. new orleans is a good case study, where society basically fell apart after a few days of no food, water, and of course no aid from FEMA.

theoretically society can only last without food as a cohesive body for roughly three meals. after that people revert back to thier primal instincts or some such.

yeah...thats the south, where they still havent gotten over the fact they lost "civil war 1" lol(please dont take that as offensive, I am a proud member of Sons of Confederate Veterans)

heh no offense...I couldnt join...that was when i found out i'm half german and my mom and her twin were adopted. My dad's family tree is too complex to try to figure out and submit although i know I could have done it...maybe later down the road. I hear tons of great speakers though in high school b/c I went as a guest to most of their meetings

on smaller scale, natural disasters and such are a breeding ground for criminal elements and all sorts of nasty things. new orleans is a good case study, where society basically fell apart after a few days of no food, water, and of course no aid from FEMA.

agree 100% and growing up in NC where hurricanes are no stranger I saw tons of looting and what not and knew people who went down and rode out storms to protect their property b/c the island gets closed so whoever is there is there and theres like 3 cops on the island...I do understand some people could not leave NO but a majority of the ones that stayed stayed with the intention of it either "not being that bad" or i'mma steal a buncha @!*% and get rich

i do think it is a little paranoid on a wide scale unless there is mass famine or some such,

I saw the last 20 mins or so of that history channel program and thats pretty much what it was...the economy in the US was going to take a crap then that in turn was going to affect the rest of the world (taking place already) and it was going to continue for a few years and as the population grew food became scarce and it became "everyman for themselves" and was talking about people producing their own fuels and developing their own water purification systems and power generation. This was done like 4 or more years ago and was projecting years like 2050. I wish i knew what show it was and i'd love to go back and watch the whole thing.

I don't think it will happen but one thing that I do believe is if a series of events take place then it is quite possible.

I think if all of these happened within a year we would be in some serious trouble:

1. Major hurricane/storm cuts oil production like it did when katrina and rita came through (gas spikes truckers stop driving so all supplies are scarce)

2. Major earthquake in long beach/san fran destroys the port or leaves it under water (stops a good number of imports and exports another leading to a shortage of goods)

3. Obama gets assassinated (I think this would set off that scenario to CW2 b/c random race crimes would spike through the roof)

4. another major terrorist attack (american people are down something like this could make them really question their "security")

5. other random occurrences to irritate the situation

and like i said i don't believe all of this is going to happen but it could happen and that is where I stand...just look at gun and ammunition sales in the last 6 months...and the limits that were put on rice...so it may be paranoia but i dont think it is so much

gun and ammo sales went up because everyone though obama was going to reinstate the assault weapons ban and raise taxes for ammo (both of which he still may do :()

2050 is a long time away. hopefully we will have fixed some stuff by then.....hopefully

yeah, anything is possible, i just find it unlikely that all of those things will happen at once. a major terrorist attack is almost certain, its just a matter of when. whether or not the american people can handle it is another question...i think we can. americans are some of the most resiliant people in the world.

gun and ammo sales went up because everyone though obama was going to reinstate the assault weapons ban and raise taxes for ammo (both of which he still may do sad.gif)

true...if that happens we're screwed...and he's not upholding our constitution...but anywho back to topic

i just find it unlikely that all of those things will happen at once. a major terrorist attack is almost certain, its just a matter of when. whether or not the american people can handle it is another question...i think we can. americans are some of the most resiliant people in the world.

I'll agree with that too...

Sorry to turn this into an "America" thing since I know our starter is a friend from the North. But all of this I think can be applied to any nation.

true...if that happens we're screwed...and he's not upholding our constitution...but anywho back to topic

I'll agree with that too...

Sorry to turn this into an "America" thing since I know our starter is a friend from the North. But all of this I think can be applied to any nation.

lol...well i do not think that this topic bears a flag, It does apply to all different regions of this continent... and every region is affected differently weatherwise... Two years ago, we had to evacuate the village because of a forest fire caused by the sparks of the brakes of a train. Living so far of big towns makes you think that your safer...but no...

Meanwhile, in the same year, the national weather center in Canada, warned New Foundland that they could eventually be exposed to tsunami... That is new...we never heard that before... since large parts of the coast of the St-lawrence gulf is made of sand, considering that there are very few roads going north to get on rock platforms... it is a concern...even with a 4x4... roads here get washed out just about every year, by excess of rain...imagine a tsunami !

... so i guess the north part is more concerned about natural disasters than...war... for now ! ...which unfortunately is not the case all over the continent...

Edited by Pinip

lol...well i do not think that this topic bears a flag, It does apply to all different regions of this continent... and every region is affected differently weatherwise... Two years ago, we had to evacuate the village because of a bush fire caused by the sparks of the brakes of a train. Living so far of big towns makes you think that your safer...but no...

growing up where I did we never had to worry much with fires...now that I live in CA I have been close to several wildfires and I never understood why they couldn't control them b/c if there is a "forest" fire where i'm from it would be contained fairly quickly and out here the winds are just crazy and can move a fire incredibly which was new to me.

Earthquakes are also an interesting feeling...I have only felt a small one and i honestly didnt know what was going on...i thought someone had walked up behind my chair and pushed on it and then i looked at the blinds and the coat rack and was like uhh is that an earthquake?

I grew up dealing with hurricanes and sometimes tornado's and typically during hurricane season we had a good stock of food and my buddies always had enough fuel to run a generator for about a week but with hurricanes you usually have a good little warning (enough to go down and board up the house at the beach and get back)

In NC they also had posted "evacuation" routes for the coast and the nuclear power plants

I don't think you can really do anything with a tsunami if you are in the direct path.

I havent ever lived anywhere where the winters are harsh and the reality of getting snowed in was there but I have traveled places that were and made sure to have enough food/water and means of staying warm for about a week and when i did my cross country drives I had plenty of food/water/supplies to deal with the climates I was driving through

just some info that is interesting:

When California has its next big earthquake they are predicting over 4 million refugees will flood into Arizona. Furthermore, the earthquake will most likely trigger the Palo Verde nuclear reactor's failsafe equipment....which will shut down Phoenix and Maricopa county's power for at least 4 days.

Sounds like fun stuff huh? Phx has just started running simulations and preparing, although they have predicted this for about 5 years now. Supposedly the next huge Californian earthquake will be in the next 2 years....

Hey.. It dosn't hurt to be prepared!!!

I got a gun and 500 bullets... maybe I will get more..... A good water filter, backpack , boots, knives, a dog, all the camping equipment I need......

Hopefully my Pathfinder will be able to get through whatever disaster takes place...(my benz prob wont... but i would look dam good tryin).... but if it dosn't there would be other options... increased by having a gun. when it comes down to it... I will do what I have to... my will to survive is strong! :chairfall:

Other option is waiting a disaster out.... I have A wood stove and lots of wood.... my house is VERY strong and easy to defend.

But I like to think positive thoughts... LMAO... on to the next thread!!! :-)

Edited by beavis0076

Sounds like fun stuff huh? Phx has just started running simulations and preparing, although they have predicted this for about 5 years now. Supposedly the next huge Californian earthquake will be in the next 2 years....

yea before I moved here we were banking on it making CA fall off the US...now that I'm here it'll happen for sure...

same here...hell i've been working on her for 3 years now...but i think we're finally getting to the short rows although i saw a leak from the FMS tonight which i'm hoping is an overflow valve b/c i dont have the tbars in and the engine is "downhill" but i'll worry about it later and if I have to pull it back out i'll do it a few months after driving her depending on how bad it is haha...my 95 had a RMS leak as soon as i did the clutch and i have a feeling its b/c of the wear mark on the crank so we'll find out after its back up and running and if its leaking again I know where my problems are