Zmax

Nytrosfinder

Anyone know or actually tried the product ZMAX or a product like it with the same principles? I am kinda skeptical about It and doubt that it really works...

Just curious to know if it really works or if it's just a product pushed by advertising....

Err, link?

What sort of product is it?? Female infection cream? Moose suppositories? Paperclips?? :shrug:

B

For starters.... thats disgusting... This is a CAR forum so therefore its gotta be related to cars....

And to float your boat.... http://www.zmax.com/

Its a Micro Lubricant... for engines...

Carroll Shelby got paid a lot for endorses it, so it's gotta be good!!

I have never tried it. Seems like a snake oil to me. I have used Royal Purple in several vehicles through the years. I have yet to have issues with it. RP does most of what it states. I'd just go with a reputable lubricant or do a little more research. Look for the good and the bad and believe 10% of what you read online.

Edited by silverlion

Carroll Shelby got paid a lot for endorses it, so it's gotta be good!!

I have never tried it. Seems like a snake oil to me. I have used Royal Purple in several vehicles through the years. I have yet to have issues with it. RP does most of what it states. I'd just go with a reputable lubricant or do a little more research. Look for the good and the bad and believe 10% of what you read online.

Thats what I thought.... I just wanna get rid of the gunk and nastiness that builds up under valve covers w/o taking them off....

I really wnt to try that stuff but its too expensive, I will stick with Lucas Oil Synthetic stabilizer for the oil and seafoam for the gas...

Thats what i thought about doing... as well.... i just am wondering if the stuff works...

It's crap... read the product page:

12oz Fuel Formula, 12oz Engine Formula, 4oz Trans Formula, FREE 12oz Small Engine Formula

The unique ability of zMAX to soak into metal and reduce engine deposits results in:

* Increased Gas Mileage (helps maintain gas mileage in newer cars, and helps improve or restore gas mileage in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits)

* Improved Performance

* Extended Engine Life

* Reduced Emissions (helps maintain emissions in newer cars, and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits )

* Increased Horsepower

This product may be used as a fuel additive both for gasoline and diesel fuels. When used as a diesel fuel additive, the following statement applies: This diesel fuel additive complies with the federal low sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles and nonroad engines.

FREE zMAX Small Engine Formula, that gives improved performance and extended life to your: Lawn Mowers, Generators, Chain Saws, Power Edgers, Power Trimmers, Leaf Blowers, Snowmobiles, Jet Skis, ATVs, Garden Tillers, Marine Engines. (Especially made for engines that are not used on a regular basis.) *see documentation in our Technical section.

Easy to Use

Simply pour zMAX into your fuel system (12oz.), your engine (12oz.), and transmission (4oz.) or have zMAX installed by your mechanic at your next oil change. The bottles are clearly marked.

zMAX does not replace your regular oil, and using zMAX will not overfill your normal oil level because it soaks into metal.

Pardon me... but how do you soak something into metal...? Last time I checked, metal wasn't considered a "porous" material... now, if it's ERODING the metal, maybe you could mis-construe that as "soaking into it"...

zMAX Product Testing

Over the past 50 years, hundreds of tests have been conducted on zMAX. Many have been consumer tests using the product in everyday, real-life situations. But the important tests are the industry test protocols conducted in our own laboratory and by independent labs around the country. The results of these tests show that zMAX soaks into metal; reduces friction; increases horsepower; dissipates engine heat; helps improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits; helps maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits; helps reduce engine wear on vital engine parts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits; and helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX spent $4.5 million testing our product to the FTC that zMAX works. The tests conducted on zMAX are based on accepted protocols as directed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM). zMAX requires a "soak in" period in order to achieve maximum benefit, therefore, when necessary, the protocols have been modified only to include a "soak in" period for zMAX. Oil-Chem has performed the following tests:

Maybe... just maybe... if the SAE actually endorses it... then maybe. But ONLY if they actually give it the go ahead...

We own a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder with 166,000 miles and a 1988 Ford F-150 Pickup with 153,000 miles. I began using zMAX about 6,000 miles ago on both vehicles and I must say the results were dramatic. The Pathfinder went immediately to 22.5 mpg and the truck is up to almost 14 mpg.

The most amazing thing though is the increase in power that was also almost immediate. We live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California and the uphill driving power improvement is the most noticeable. To get to our home from the Central Valley of California is a long uphill climb, and the Pathfinder now makes the grade without downshifting to 2nd at all. This has not happened in years!

Both vehicles run like they had 15,000 miles on them, not over 150,000.

I can only imagine the fuel savings this country would enjoy if every car in our category used your product. I recommend it to everyone I know. Thank you from a VERY satisfied customer.

Jack Love

Coulterville, CA 95311

â€Å“I’ve been an aircraft mechanic for 12 years. We used to rebuild piston engines. We used this product called AVBLEND with LinKite and it kept the cylinder walls so clean you couldn’t believe it When I found out the zMAX had the LinKite formula in it, I had to have it. I put it in my truck. It increased my gas mileage, smoothed out all the rough ends in my tranny. And when I was four wheeling the power was right there. It’s a phenomenal product.â€

Jose Gonzalez

Owner of a 4×4

You know what... now I'm not so sure... they provide MSDS's for them... so obviously they do conform to ASE standards...

Maybe there is something to it... I'll give it a shot once I get my paycheck - I recently did an injector cleaner concentrate... normally I get ~~~ 250 miles per tank... this time I got 300 *shrugS*

Edited by RedPath88

It's crap... read the product page:

Pardon me... but how do you soak something into metal...? Last time I checked, metal wasn't considered a "porous" material... now, if it's ERODING the metal, maybe you could mis-construe that as "soaking into it"...

Maybe... just maybe... if the SAE actually endorses it... then maybe. But ONLY if they actually give it the go ahead...

You know what... now I'm not so sure... they provide MSDS's for them... so obviously they do conform to ASE standards...

Maybe there is something to it... I'll give it a shot once I get my paycheck - I recently did an injector cleaner concentrate... normally I get ~~~ 250 miles per tank... this time I got 300 *shrugS*

So you mean to tell me its crap when all the reviews were good reviews?

So you mean to tell me its crap when all the reviews were good reviews?

Lol, Nytros, that's why i kept editing my post... the more I read up on it, the more I started to be swayed... maybe I'll try it :)

Isn't this the stuff that used to be advertised with "linkite" or some simialr magic ingredient? I though there was a class action law suit?

EDIT: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

The FTC did back down after independet testing paid for by Zmax and allowed them to use a few of the claims that they were using. That does not mean that it works well though.

Many engine problems and sucesses can be attributed to different things. Was the engine broke in with synthetic (a no no)? Were oil changes done on time? How was the vehilce driven? What kind of oil used? Ever overheat without head gasket damage? etc etc etc

On a higher mileage motor I would (by experience) suggest that one uses no engine "cleaners", degunkers or that as the motor has developed shellacing in key areas that may be sealing up oil, air and combustion leaks. Also avoid synthetic on older motors. It tends to create a thick enough film on crank and rodbearings that have more play than a newer motor. Some of the additives are merely a thickener (preventing leaks and blow by on the rings) that is rough on motors when they are cold (this stuff pours out of the bottle thicker than honey!) and some when heated harden and fill spaces that are worn (and theoretically work).

I also take sucess stories with a grain of salt unless I was there to witness it. A guy can claim he used superslick on his 200k nissan motor and it would beat V8 chevys while towing a house. When he added it did he change plugs, air filter or fuel filter? All those can increase power- did the superslick do anything?

I use seafoam, have toyed with the idea of Zmax and use only Castrol regular oil with a quality filter. I keep my other parts maintained and hope for the best. I would really be interested in reading complete, compreshensive and impartial stories about these additives- not my uncle used...

Thats what I thought.... I just wanna get rid of the gunk and nastiness that builds up under valve covers w/o taking them off....

Get yourself some Redline oil, it is expensive, but man that stuff works. My brother was using it in his Eclipse turbo, and man the turbo stopped losing oil, the internals looked new, even the cylinder walls looked new. The valve cover looked new, that stuff rocks. It even cleaned the dipstick. You could see where the old oil had been burned on from age, and it looked new where the oil sat on the dipstick. It was an eye opener.

Get yourself some Redline oil, it is expensive, but man that stuff works. My brother was using it in his Eclipse turbo, and man the turbo stopped losing oil, the internals looked new, even the cylinder walls looked new. The valve cover looked new, that stuff rocks. It even cleaned the dipstick. You could see where the old oil had been burned on from age, and it looked new where the oil sat on the dipstick. It was an eye opener.

wow really? I might look into that... where is it at? local napa or what not?

thats something thats not pushed by media so i would believe it if its by word of mouth recommendation...

I fully intend to... when... well, one when I have the time (she's my daily driver, I work (currently) a full time AND a part time job, am a full time student, and am planning a wedding) and the money (wedding... school... necessities...)

Problem is, I don't think I have the technical know-how to do it... I'm deathly afraid to take the top end of my engine off... again...

Did it once... my mechanic nearly backhanded me with a torque wrench when I begged him to come over and help me put it back together! Granted, that was a few years ago and I didn't know jack-all about the truck... but still...

I fully intend to... when... well, one when I have the time (she's my daily driver, I work (currently) a full time AND a part time job, am a full time student, and am planning a wedding) and the money (wedding... school... necessities...)

Problem is, I don't think I have the technical know-how to do it... I'm deathly afraid to take the top end of my engine off... again...

Did it once... my mechanic nearly backhanded me with a torque wrench when I begged him to come over and help me put it back together! Granted, that was a few years ago and I didn't know jack-all about the truck... but still...

Have you ever purchased a Haynes or Chilton FSM? Those things are step by step and as long as you mark where each bolt goes, and be really careful of sensors and wires, you are golden. I did a low end rebuild my first day on the job at the shop I used to work at, and I had only ever changed oil, plugs, belts, hoses, and brakes up to that point. They are really handy. I got like thirteen of them damn things, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, they all are sold at Napa.

And to find it, just look it up online. My brother and I get it at a gas station in the boonies, they carry it for the Hot Rodders out there. I just google it though.

I have a Haynes manual, but it doesn't have images for my engine... the '90 it says uses the carburated engine (wtf? I'm definately MPFI) and some of the things it lists I don't have... so yeah.

And like i said - I work full time + student full time + planning a wedding + Pathy being my DD = I have no time to fix her up :(

I hope to get an Altima or Versa soon... but I don't know when I could afford one :(