URGENT ! Need some bumper info !

sprinthead

Two days ago I came out to go to work only to discover that some inconsiderate SOB hit and ran my 97 Pathy !! They did a nice job of plowing the front bumper in, lucky enough they didn't push anything into the the AC condenser ! Since I didn't put collision on my truck, my deductible for a hit and run is $750 instead of the $300 it would of been had I had collision insurance ! Damage was pegged at $2300, but since I work in an auto parts store, I can get all the parts NEW for about $400 to put it back to stock, but who wants to do stock !?!?!

I have located what appears to be an aluminum TJM bumper off of a mid 80's Toyota pickup that can be had for about $300. Question is if any of you know whether this could be retro fitted to fit before I drive 50 miles to even see it !! I'm thinking if the bracket mounts are close enough, I can have one of the guys at a shop up here whip up some mounts for it. For $300 you can see why I would like to be all over this if it can be made to fit !!

Thanks in advance for input and help !!!

I imagine anything is possible with the right amount of steel and a welder... although, I doubt it would be an easy job. That said, I have no idea what the TJM for the Toyota looks like, the dimensions, or how it mounts up.

Do you have pics of the TJM, and how it mounts? Measurements?? I can send you some pics, and very basic measurements from my TJM for you to compare if needed.

I imagine anything is possible with the right amount of steel and a welder... although, I doubt it would be an easy job. That said, I have no idea what the TJM for the Toyota looks like, the dimensions, or how it mounts up.

Do you have pics of the TJM, and how it mounts? Measurements?? I can send you some pics, and very basic measurements from my TJM for you to compare if needed.

Thanks Pezzy !! I saw the pics of your install, and I'm just hoping the brackets are all in about the same place from Toy to Niss !!! I think I will just say to hell with it and peel off all the the bent up stuff off tonight in prep to go see this Toyota one tomorrow so I can sorta hang it and see how far off everything is ! I would have to guess the frame widths at the front are very close, or at least close enough that brackets will be easy to fab !!

I found the bumper at

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/BC/Imp_...per_350_00.aspx

Two days ago I came out to go to work only to discover that some inconsiderate SOB hit and ran my 97 Pathy !! They did a nice job of plowing the front bumper in, lucky enough they didn't push anything into the the AC condenser ! Since I didn't put collision on my truck, my deductible for a hit and run is $750 instead of the $300 it would of been had I had collision insurance ! Damage was pegged at $2300, but since I work in an auto parts store, I can get all the parts NEW for about $400 to put it back to stock, but who wants to do stock !?!?!

I have located what appears to be an aluminum TJM bumper off of a mid 80's Toyota pickup that can be had for about $300. Question is if any of you know whether this could be retro fitted to fit before I drive 50 miles to even see it !! I'm thinking if the bracket mounts are close enough, I can have one of the guys at a shop up here whip up some mounts for it. For $300 you can see why I would like to be all over this if it can be made to fit !!

Thanks in advance for input and help !!!

It doesn't look like a bad deal, expecially since it's aluminum, but you don't drive a toyota.. Getting that bumper to fit might be a nightmare. Do the guys at the shop you know have the ability/equipment to weld aluminum?

You may end up with a piece of scrap metal if you're not careful.

I just ordered a bumper from these guys:

http://www.kenmtnac.com/Nissan.html

for an extra $150 bucks, you could have one you'll be guaranteed will fit on your rig and you can customize it if you want.

Well the G/F and I headed up to take a look at it, and it was in really decent shape. The Toyota mounts are a few inches narrower, but that isn't too much of a problem to overcome ! I'm just gonna have to design some sturdy mounts and have those fabbed up and then I'll be good to go ! Where the bumper wraps around the front fenders will need some clearancing, but again thats minor ! I will post a pic or two when I get this thing all mounted and such. Its gonna look sweet once re-polish it !! heheh !!

Shoulda seen the tube frame rock crawler the guy had built that was sitting in the garage ! Holy ! The thing was a beast ! The truck the bumper came off became the parts donor vehicle to create his crawler ! The guy was pretty talented I gotta say !!

Off to see the guys at the local 4x4 shop to have them fab brackets and get the bumper hung so it doesn't look like I'm driving a wreck !! LOL !!

• 1 month later...

I'd put some pics up if I could A) Find the damn USB cable for my camera, B) Find a host to put pics up on !

The shop I took it to here in Kelowna ( Truckworks ) to have the mounts fabbed up did an awesome job ! They made the mounts so I could even sneak a winch in behind at some point down the road ! My truck looks like a BEAST now .... plus it affords some much needed front end protection when wheeling in some of the absolutely idiotic places I do go !! LOL !! Small trees fear me now .... heheh !! I will get some pics up soon ...

• 2 weeks later...

Damn USB cable was hiding in plain sight ! Too many cables for everything !! LOL !!

Initial Damage ...

DSC00920a.jpg

All fixed up and fitted !!

DSC00947a.jpg

DSC00966a.jpg

So ... while it was a bit expensive to get all the brackets fabbed and the bumper installed, I think it looks pretty damn decent !

So a mid to later 80's Toy pu bumper can be fitted to a Pathy ... just need either all the equipment, or a fist full of $$$ !!

Wow! They did a good job.....so all in all what was the cost for bumper/labor/misc. stuff in TOTAL? Also, can a winch be added to that type bumper?

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Looks good mate, I might have to see if there are any of those bars going cheap over here, do you know what model yota it is for?. The fabrication work wouldnt be a problem, I work with aluminium fabricators every day.

Thanks for all the positve feedback ! I was initially REALLY pissed off at whomever hit the truck, but then after tracking down that bumper, I was all giggity to get it mounted up ! :itsallgood:

The guys that did the work was a place in Kelowna called Truckworks. They do general repairs and extreme 4x4 modifications and custom work. Granted the guy doing the fab work deviated a bit from what I had envisioned, but in retrospect my design ideas were WAY overkill :D !! The bumper itself came off what I think was about a mid 80's Toyota 4x4 pickup for the nice price of $300. The bumper does have provision for a fairlead, so when I had the guy fab up the mounts for it, I asked if he could make it so I could put a winch and mountplate in at some point down the road. I guess I will need to buy a winch and actually attempt to install it to see if it would all fit nicely. Realistically I can't see myself needing a winch anytime soon since I don't take it into really nutso places ..... yet !! I got a sweet deal on the labor to the tune of a mere $400 for a little over 10 hours of shop time, and that included ALL the materials ! Big thanks to Kyle and Trent at Truckworks for the primo job !!

I will have to wash the truck and shinny under it to get some pics of the mount assembly, but it's pretty sweet, 8 bolts to undo and the bumper is off, leaving just the fabricated mount assembly. The mount assembly consists of 2 side plates bolted to the *frame* horns/ends, with a piece of fairly heavy c channel welded across the front between the the 2 brackets, and the actual mount tabs all fabbed and welded to put the bumper at the right height, and then the lower brackets fabbed fitted and welded in place. Pics will make it all more clear as to how it was done , just wish I coulda done the whole job myself, but no place to do it and lack of a welder is a bit of a showstopper !! LOL !!!

slightly off topic but.......since they don't make TJM anymore and/or ARBs for 96-98??.....can an ARB for 99-up be modified in the same manner to fit 96-98's ?

Yeah the ARB works, it just leaves a small 1" gap.