Odd electrical issue

hayd

In the weekend I cleaned my truck, including the engine bay, with a waterblaster, and it ran alright for a couple of days then yesterday it started as normal but the dash lights were really dim and the radio would cut out when I used the air horn. I later went to start it but all it did was turn over a couple of times then die. Now with the key in the 'on' position the starter motor makes a loud humming noise. Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

sounds like the alternator to me. Your radio cuts out because you arent getting enough power to run it and the air horn. the dash lights are dim for the same reason. Also get your battery checked.

Spray the alternator with WD40 first, all inside and out to displace any water that might be causing your issues.

I did that with mine and it came right back to life, I thought it was dead as well.

Spray the alternator with WD40 first, all inside and out to displace any water that might be causing your issues.

this should help, but don't do it with the engine running :FartExplode-vi:

Thanks for your input guys I started it last night with jumper cables and I think its the battery. I tested it before starting with a voltmeter and got 11.8v and after starting it, it dropped to 9.6v and go lower if I used anything electrical though it would climb back up to 9.6 but no further. I tested the batt. just before and read 10.5. That would mean its the batt., right?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I replaced the battery but it still went flat after half a dozen starts and it died at a busy intersection on the way home from work (gotta love murphys law eh?) I have charged the battery since and its working at the moment. I was told Nissan alternators have a tendancy to stuff a diode or something which causes them to lose charge when the truck is turned off and the battery is hooked up. Could that be the trouble?

Well I replaced the battery but it still went flat after half a dozen starts and it died at a busy intersection on the way home from work (gotta love murphys law eh?) I have charged the battery since and its working at the moment. I was told Nissan alternators have a tendancy to stuff a diode or something which causes them to lose charge when the truck is turned off and the battery is hooked up. Could that be the trouble?

Alternators and water don't mix. It sounds to me like you killed the alternator. You have eliminated your battery as being the problem. Now, why is the battery not charging??? Take the alternator off and take it to the auto parts store. All the auto parts stores that I've worked at tested alternators, starters and batteries for free. (Wierd, i just heard an autozone commercial while I was typing this). Testing the alternator is cheaper than guessing and throwing more money at your truck unnecessarily. Also remember that if you take a brand new battery and run it down then jump it over and over, it will not last as long. I have not done it myself, but some do a nissan quest alternator which should be direct fit and puts out higher amps.

Good luck

Thanks for your input guys I started it last night with jumper cables and I think its the battery. I tested it before starting with a voltmeter and got 11.8v and after starting it, it dropped to 9.6v and go lower if I used anything electrical though it would climb back up to 9.6 but no further. I tested the batt. just before and read 10.5. That would mean its the batt., right?

that tells me the alternator isnt putting out b/c you should be getting something like 14V with the truck running

Same happened to me I spill water accidentally two days after the same symptoms and also all my gauges went to red the battery, & brake lights the AT oil alert the check engine all at the same time and I though how can be all things breaking at the same time but is a normal caused by Alternator failure

I changed the brushes and the coil and now each time I have to work with water near the engine I cover the alternator and distributor with plastic bag to avoid it gets damaged