My vibration issue - hub centric rings to fit bigger bore wheel... Comments needed

KLL

I bought reasonably priced 15 inch alloy wheels to have more offset and have better handling. Actually i got what i expected but..

After installation and balancing i found that there is still vibration and there were no hubcentric after 50 miles ~09 km/h.

During re balancing i found my rear left tire is bouncing a little(its balance ok) So i am confused, is the reason of vibration, bouncy single tire, or improper centering due to bigger bore size(like lug centrig tires) and lack of hubcentric adaptor rings. or both.

I machined an adaptor but it is temporary and it fits perfectly well to hubs and rear wheel centers, when tire is fixed with lugs with adaptor on, i remove adaptor and it "seems" wheel is well centered.

any comments? help me please.

thank you in advance.

is the wheel countersunk for the lugs (ie lugcentric) or is it flat with no "centering devices" then it would be hubcentric wheels and yea you'd probably have some vibrations...

I'm not sure what you mean by bouncy tire but if I'm with GG on you could have a bad belt or "square" tire

I have to go with broken belt in a tire, switch the one thats 'bouncing' from the rear to the front and see if you feel the vibration in the steering wheel more. Is there even anything that is hubcentric anymore?

actually holes are countersung . may be i should use original lugs to fit wheel. new lugs seemed not very well designed to me.

unccpathfinder:

should i understand from your words, i do "not" need hubcentric ring for perfect fitting becaus of having countersung wheel fitting holes?

also, i wonder if center hub carries a load or not.

Edited by KLL

rearlargelarge.th.jpg

here you see original diameter of hub 98mm and new wheel center diameter 107.5mm, also thickness of new wheel is 17 mm around lugs.

No, it doesn't.

All the load is transfered via the lugs.

grimgreg, can it be be said that , if lugs are ok, rims are ok, there is no risk of loosing a wheel while moving.

can i use nylon or aluminum adaptor rings, to center it?

Edited by KLL

should i understand from your words, i do "not" need hubcentric ring for perfect fitting becaus of having countersung wheel fitting holes?

yes that is correct...you have one or the other and it sounds like you have lugcentric wheels which means that the circle cut in the wheel to clear the hub may not look centered on the hub b/c it is a rough cut and not machined to a tight tolerance

I guess the next thing to check is that the taper on the lug is the same as the wheel and it is not flat...if that is all the same as you tighten down the lugs they will center the wheel just follow the star pattern gradually tightening as you go around...

You could also have a bent/warped wheel try to spin those up on the balancer without tires on it if the wheel is out of round you probably won't be able to balance it...

or a bad tire as folks have stated.

yes that is correct...you have one or the other and it sounds like you have lugcentric wheels which means that the circle cut in the wheel to clear the hub may not look centered on the hub b/c it is a rough cut and not machined to a tight tolerance

I guess the next thing to check is that the taper on the lug is the same as the wheel and it is not flat...if that is all the same as you tighten down the lugs they will center the wheel just follow the star pattern gradually tightening as you go around...

You could also have a bent/warped wheel try to spin those up on the balancer without tires on it if the wheel is out of round you probably won't be able to balance it...

or a bad tire as folks have stated.

in a machine with a haweka branded adaptor, they rebalanced tires, and they seemed balanced and no up and down movement while turning. so for now lets assume wheels and tires are ok.

about being a lugcentric wheel, today i checked stock wheel, stud holes, i found that the countersunk part is same as new wheels(tapered sides?). hole sides are not flat. but ofcourse wheels have a 5.5 inch 98mm center.

is there any other indication to understand these are lugcentric or not. may be i need correct type lugs.

also if these are hubcentric and if i find correct ring adaptors, can this cure my balancing problem? or should i try to give these rims back. (i do not want to)

your vehicle is lug centric, not hub... get the right lug nuts.

this is good to know. with stock alloy wheels, i was using stock lug nuts, not new ones are different in shape, but a little. if holes on wheel for studs, can't i use stock ones? what to check on wheels and on new nuts?

friends, i went ot machine shop and i made them machine metal hub centric rings. because,the importer of those wheels told me that these were hubcentric.

now i solved issue. thank you for your help.

you shouldn't use stock lug nuts on aftermarket rims. Stock are ball-type lug nuts while 99% of aftermarket rims are acorn lug nuts.

new lugs are different. so i will keep them.

a correction, stock wheels are not 98mm in bore diameter they are 100mm.