A little bit of what I've been up to lately

unccpathfinder

What are you're feelings  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What are you're feelings on me parting out my 95 for the 87?

• Mad
    • Sad
    • Glad to see a 2 door getting back on the road
    • they're your trucks do what you want
    • input on reaction

Alright well some of you know and may have been following my uploads on facebook through the NPORA groupe there...I moved 2 weekends ago into my own place and my NC plates expired on the 95. My plan since I came to CA was to part it out for my 87 but it took me 1.5 years to get the 95 here. I drove it here and wheeled it pretty good for about a month or 2 and now that I have gotten into my own place I have started the tear down...I still don't have heat or internet at the new place so my only access points are here at work and via my phone and posting here just takes too long to type on my phone but i have been lurking reading.

So I pulled her in the garage 2 fridays ago and had the whole front end pulled off but we had to go serve an eviction notice for a friend of ours so i threw the corners back on and the fenders on to go serve that then came back and started pulling. Right now i've got probably about 12 hours of work in it but i'm being meticulous about pictures and labeling everything and carefully removing clips so the installation should go pretty smooth...

about 1 hours worth of work:

2647_581108856397_36619102_35929397_7946403_n.jpg

2631_581187738317_36619102_35932985_4598408_n.jpg

2647_581187778237_36619102_35932986_4355231_n.jpg

Found my bluetooth that I lost at Calico...it was under the ECU cover under the pass seat:

n36619102_35936716_6213532.jpg

2631_581289464457_36619102_35937928_6996322_n.jpg

I need more storage space:

2631_581289693997_36619102_35937935_5009254_n.jpg

2631_581289758867_36619102_35937936_2898928_n.jpg

Harness out...inside stripped clean:

2631_581490017547_36619102_35948501_6853960_n.jpg

I hope to get the driveline dropped out this week and roll her out and roll the 87 in and get all the crap stored in her out and get the harness out and get everything installed over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I get internet this week and i'll try to update it more frequently

Since the 2 door is your baby, I understand.

at least someone does...i've gotten a lot of "you're stupid" lectures lately

If I vote mad or sad, will you put it back together again?

well it's going back together...just not on the same chassis :tongue:

but if you start throwing $ at me in huge quantities...sure i'll put it back together...

its already MPFI...but that engine took a crap and it was an auto and i worked around that but I want to put this harness in since it'll be a MT to MT and i'll be happy with it...

I'll have the MPFI harness and intake for sale here soon (in fact its already in the Parts for sale)

EDIT:

Here is how the recipient sits right now...eagerly awaiting her new goods...

2599_581075218807_36619102_35927974_396814_n.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

Let me see if i understand........your going to put the body from the 87 on the 95 frame or vice versa? Either way, i say go for it.......you said you have 12 hours into it to get the interior stripped and doors removed? This summer i want to strip the inside to mock up and possibly build a roll cage..

Nice job BTW

87 frame and body are staying the way they are but I'm swapping in the wire harness, dash, engine and driveline from my 95...I've done this already but I had some issues with the speedo and some other sensors and making the ECU not too happy...then that engine took a crap (i'm assuming from the front impact it chipped a ring or something b/c I ended up with 2 dead cylinders and it was pouring fuel into the oil) and I cut some corners trying to get it done so I want to do it right this time so its like a factory install and don't have to worry about some wires chaffing through or anything like that...

I hope to get the driveline dropped out and engine pulled by friday night then I can roll it out and roll the 87 in and offload all of the crap inside of it and start pulling that harness and hopefully get the interior back together by sunday but we'll see how things go

Heres the writeup that i did on 4x4parts...i may go back and update it but it seems to be difficult to post images there now b/c it doesnt scale them to fit it just crops them...

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showfla...part=1&vc=1

I believe is a good choice the 87 since is a sport model, that only a few ones have the honor of be owners :aok:

Great for you

And sad for the 1995 I you just could live near me I surely buy you what you don't use from your 95 to my 90 :D

at least someone does...i've gotten a lot of "you're stupid" lectures lately

For all practical purposes, restoring an old car is stupid. It's a waste of time and $, except if that's what you choose to do as a 'hobby', ie enjoy it. As Ramon said, the 2 doors are becoming more scarce (although I see plenty here in NorCal) and if you have attachment to it, there is no reason not to fix it up. You have a donor and as far as I am concerned, are doing it right; you are swapping all the better parts from an advanced model into the frame and chassis that you want to keep. You'll wind up with a hybrid 2 door with the best of both worlds. Anyone who thinks that is stupid A) Probably couldn't turn a wrench well enough to do the same and B) Should just go and make $300 car and $150 insurance payments for the next 5 years...

And sad for the 1995 I you just could live near me I surely buy you what you don't use from your 95 to my 90

Ramon, he is about 250 miles north of you. I'm sure you could work things out and even if you had to drive to his house, that could be done in 1 day. :shrug:

B

Should just go and make $300 car and $150 insurance payments for the next 5 years...

heh...you see i'm doing all of this and I have a $400 car + $125 insurance payment...I really wish now I would have had more than 3 days to get a car once i moved here b/c I would be driving a 95 altima or accord...ohh well it'll be a long time before I get a brand new car again...but the savings on insurance on the 95 to just the 87 is significant (been paying over $100 on the 95 per month b/c i didnt want to have liability on it with other folks driving it) but I'm working out a good budget and the pathy should soon be growing and becoming more capable while putting more $ in the bank so its a win win...I get my unique 87 back and the amount of work that goes into it I doubt many folks will follow suit at least for a while and maybe someday I can get a writeup in some magazine or something cuze that'd be cool but if not I've got all you guys to show it to...

yea Ramon we'll see what I dont get sold and go from there...i will soon be listing things in the parts for sale section

heh...you see i'm doing all of this and I have a $400 car + $125 insurance payment...I really wish now I would have had more than 3 days to get a car once i moved here b/c I would be driving a 95 altima or accord...

Ouch. Yeah, I know you have a new car too. Hey, you can always sell it and get that 95 import... :shrug:

J/K You know what you are doing... :D

B

Ouch. Yeah, I know you have a new car too. Hey, you can always sell it and get that 95 import... shrug.gif

oh man...you don't want to get me on that soap box...I cannot believe how much the books say my car is worth...I about cried when I looked b/c I was looking at my budget and i was like @!*% this car is killing me if I can break even on it and get out from under the loan i'll just go get an older car that I can work on and get about the same mileage (probably about 3-5 mpg less but still better than the trucks were getting by a long shot) it'll be paid for here in the next year and a half or so I guess thats a good thing and then i'll just drive it till it breaks and costs more to fix it than it would be to buy a used car which isnt far fetched with all these damn computers and electronics

haha...no...money you sink into vehicles are "sunk costs" i could maybe get $1k out of it if that and thats 1 of the reasons for parting out the 95...I paid 4k for it drove it almost a year and a half and someone else drove it for almost 2 when i tried to sale it the most I could get out of it was $2k so for me i've already spent that $ on it and may as well use it for my benefit b/c there was no way I was loosing that much $ and still not having a working truck

and there is probably no monetary value that someone could offer me to sale it to them...within reason...if someone came up and was like hey i'll give you $40k for it on the spot yea i'd probably hand them the keys but that is far fetched and if that bridge comes we'll cross it but i dont see it coming along

I guess thats kinda like richard not being able to sale his pathy and just chopped it up and i believe it was well worth what he was asking for it

Heres a couple more shots...crappy b/c the BB camera seems to not be so great but then again what phone camera is...I shot these last night after I buttoned up most of the dash...I may be pulling it back out b/c I forgot to route the harness for the A Pillar but we'll see if I can manage around that...

2631_583200519687_36619102_36030618_7998626_n.jpg

I threw the lights,corners and grill back on to see how i like the chrome on white...I guess its ok for now...

2631_583204801107_36619102_36030657_3670977_n.jpg

The plans for the weekend are to try and get the oil pan gasket and RMS seal taken care of...once I get the pan off I will decide if I want/need to do the FMS but i'm thinking I really dont want to right now and will just wait until the next TB change...

If I get that knocked out tonight then I may drop the font axle in and try to swap rear axles around tomorrow morning before heading out dirt biking...

Then sunday hopefully I can get the rest of everything pulled off of the 95 chassis and get the wheels/tires swapped out but we'll see how the sickness is treating me and how bad the alcohol makes the sickness worse...

Some other pix I thought were cool:

DSCN2900.jpg

DSCN2917.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some more pix...

have the engine in and front axle in

Things still to do:

1 route the wires for rear hatch

2 route wires for maplights since I forgot to do that...this should be fun with the dash in now...

3 swap spindles since the CVs are slightly larger in dia

4 swap rear end

5 install tranny, clutch and drive shafts

6 install rear seat and body panels

7 body lift

8 figure out what i'm going to do with the brakes

9 the jim conner racing tbars...these are always fun

10 swap rear hatches

11 test drive

12 radio

13 new windshield

14 idler arm brace

15 swap doors and make them have QDs

15 who knows what other little small things i have to button up (depends on how much trouble that alarm gives me b/c its not hooked back up right...)

16 exhaust

took an hour and a half or so tonight to get her back in the garage:

DSCN3146.jpg

interior not complete yet:

DSCN3135.jpg

low riding:

DSCN3151.jpg

curvy dash 2 door :tongue::

DSCN3131.jpg

i'll upload more pix to here...i did good on the teardown but now i just want to get this thing back together so i've been slacking with pictures:

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z48/unc...r/87%20buildup/

Edited by unccpathfinder

• 4 years later...

Hey Unccpathfinder first off man you are one talented guy, I can't believe how cleanly you stripped the 95, I can't even figure out how to remove the front passenger fender to work on the antenna! 2ndly, I wanted to let you know that I also carry full coverage on my 94 even though I've got people around me saying "Don't waste the extra $600 a year on insuring that old thing, you can just cover it yourself, and get liability!" I tell em..ahh, no thank you I like having my vehicle completely covered and for only $60 a month, why not?

About the tear down and build up of the 87, DON'T listen to the nay sayers, they're all gonna hate and they just don't get it. I understand your inspiration, it came from a place deep inside and one day you were like "Eureka! I have a dime a dozen 4 door 95 that's average, and a cool vintage 2 door that could be cherry and I could make it really sweet with the new parts in place of the old ones! YES!" And then you tried to explain it to your friends and family....

You know I guess for most people, myself included, that might have wanted to try to do this, it would just end in disaster with two gimpy half built / torn apart vehicles laying around for God knows how long, but for you I think you've got the stones to see it through to a final stomping crescendo that you'll be really happy with. GODSPEED.

I'm lucky in that I have a 2-door MPFI from the factory. But I don't have the curved dash, keyless, ABS, or any of the other goodness from a 95.

I'd love to see an update on how the Frankensteined rig has been running. (I'm assuming it's done since this thread was started in 2008...)