Lockers vs Flex

TheCrow

Lockers vs flex  

27 members have voted

1. 1. off road driving

• Lockers
    • Flex

Fellow offroaders ,

It is a very common topic in the world of offroad and people have their preferences in it .

Which option is more important for you to offroad , having lockers or having flex ? And why ?

Having both would be ideal but it is not the case always .

Lockers. What's the point in having flex if the power can't be transferred to that wheel to pull the truck through?

Seems a little counter productive to me :shrug:

Lockers. What's the point in having flex if the power can't be transferred to that wheel to pull the truck through?

Seems a little counter productive to me :shrug:

King

I am certainly for lockers , I want the traction where I need it .

I know Some off roaders feels safer with flex as their tires would still be touching the soil and they feel they can still gain traction.

Meanwhile I find it more dangerous and misleading , because even if you have a tire touching the soil it doesn’t mean that you haven’t crossed the tilting limit where the truck will tip over.

I could get by without Flex, but not without my locker :aok:

Wait, you can have flex and traction in a Pathfinder? ...yeah, definately a locker...that's usually were I wind up turning around, when I can't push any further. But being on 3 or 2 wheels is half the fun. Screw flex. I prefer travel over flex...Which, I guess if you put a trophy truck on a black diamond trail, it would do pretty well...but no one does.

... I prefer travel over flex...Which, I guess if you put a trophy truck on a black diamond trail, it would do pretty well...but no one does.

I may be misunderstanding you, but what are you saying is the difference between travel and flex?

What's the point in having flex if the power can't be transferred to that wheel to pull the truck through?

Usually when you have flex, you have traction. therefore usually not needing a locker. in a way they are both traction aids. I prefer flex, but when all else fails, kick on the locker.

If you don't have flex then you need a locker. If you don't have a locker then you need flex.

Why? Because with an open diff, the wheel in the air will spin and you will go nowhere.

I'd rate a locker more important then flex though.

or you all just need to learn how to drive. :D :D :D

:beer:

i'd also agree that a locker is more important than flex but.... it's bothers me when lockers are used 24/7 on the trail for no reason.... just use it when you need it.

:beer:

i'd also agree that a locker is more important than flex but.... it's bothers me when lockers are used 24/7 on the trail for no reason.... just use it when you need it.

I agree when you are talking about a front locker. If you have a rear ARB Air locker you are either locked or open. I only use the front locker as recovery equipment. The rear I usually will leave locked for the duration of the wheeling trip. AS Stated many times on this forum OPEN DIFFS SUCK!!!

i have rear LSD, but it's shot and not worth a damn. here's me in my open diff glory trying to get up this flexy section. a stock locked Nismo Frontier made it up without a sweat, right before me.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">

if you would have had more flex in the flexy section you would have been fine... :tongue:

right at the beginning of the video it looks like if you would have turned passenger @ full lock and backed up about 2 ft then cranked driver at full lock and driven forward. you would have gotten through.. but i don't know what your rear wheel situation is like either.

but back to the thread topic...

I don't have many pics of my truck in hairy sections but...This me me without lockers:

big-bear-4x4-trails-1023.jpg

and

anza-borrego-4x4-trip-105.jpg

pathy-gallery5.jpg

pathy-gallery4.jpg

right at the beginning of the video it looks like if you would have turned passenger @ full lock and backed up about 2 ft then cranked driver at full lock and driven forward. you would have gotten through.. but i don't know what your rear wheel situation is like either.

ya, we tried different lines for quite awhile. my rear was completely flexed out and spin city. i couldn't just gas through it because of the left wall and the sheer drop on the right. :scratchhead:

the front had basically zero flex, so i'm going to wheel this weekend with it disconnected, to see how much less sucky my Pathy is. :D

Judging by the poll lockers dominate the offroad choice

I had a non modified 1981 G 280 Mercedes Benz , it was long wheel base heavy as a tank and driven by a 6 straight in line cylinders fitted with two factory hydraulic lockers and it was unstoppable .

I don’t imagine going the same places if it had flex instead of lockers

if you would have had more flex in the flexy section you would have been fine... :tongue:

but back to the thread topic...

I don't have many pics of my truck in hairy sections but...This me me without lockers:

Steeevo that needs good offroad skills

i have rear LSD, but it's shot and not worth a damn. here's me in my open diff glory trying to get up this flexy section. a stock locked Nismo Frontier made it up without a sweat, right before me.

Woooh your door was about to touch too bad we couldn't see the back tires status but this is a good example with a lockers fitted in you could have crawled your way up

Flex: Okay, so the one wheel that you want flexed is touching the ground. What good does that do if it's not locked and doesn't spin? Just another point where it happens to be touching the ground, and doing nothing for you.

Lockers: Okay, so the one wheel doesn't touch the ground. What good does it do you to be locked up and spinning in the air? The other tire that is touching the ground will still spin and hopefully pull you where you need to go. But, IF an open diff is the case, you're screwed! Guess which wheel is going to spin...

Solution?

GET BOTH :D

Two is always better than one IMO.