Skid plate removal

joseph

I' m about to do my first oil & filter change and was wondering if there are any tips out there for removing the skid plate and/or filter. I haven't looked under the vehicle yet so it'll all be new and the haynes book I have doesn't say anything on the skid plate. Any knucklebuster bolts to watch out for??

thanks

It's plastic !!!!!

I thought it would be at least some type of metal..

Mine broke so easily you would think it was cardboard. The WD21's and the Xterra's came with a metal front skid... we got the deluxe light weight version.

Dudu: I don't suggest the rock method. I had to replace my subframe too. Egads.

Mine broke so easily you would think it was cardboard. The WD21's and the Xterra's came with a metal front skid... we got the deluxe light weight version.

Dudu: I don't suggest the rock method. I had to replace my subframe too. Egads.

Yeah the stocker is junk..that's why I gave mine to fueler...lol Removal takes 5 minutes, maybe...6 bolts (I think....) and it drops right down. Oil filter is right there, complete with a handy little splash guard/oil slide that will shoot your oil out at an unpredicted angle, usually on yourself. If you're gonna be bashing on rocks, I suggest getting the steel skid plate, at least...I've tossed the front up and over some nice jagged rocks and had no worries...that was the biggest thing when I was wheeling stock before...sending a nice granite slab through my oil pan...

I' m about to do my first oil & filter change and was wondering if there are any tips out there for removing the skid plate and/or filter. I haven't looked under the vehicle yet so it'll all be new and the haynes book I have doesn't say anything on the skid plate. Any knucklebuster bolts to watch out for??

thanks

you went through the trouble of looking through a complete Haynes manual, but were too lazy to take 5sec to peek under the truck? :scratchhead:

So whats your point??

I'm not tooo thrilled about crawling under any vehicle when the temp. is in the low -20 & 30's.

you went through the trouble of looking through a complete Haynes manual, but were too lazy to take 5sec to peek under the truck? :scratchhead:

So whats your point??

I'm not tooo thrilled about crawling under any vehicle when the temp. is in the low -20 & 30's.

Ok ok, no need to get butt hurt...if you take it to a shop to have the oil changed, check the bolts before and after they do it...shops are notorious for "losing" them...in reality, they're just lazy and put fewer and fewer back in over time. In all reality, though, most people don't usually ask questions before they tackle something here...More often than not, the "F*ck me sideways, I need help" threads are because people like me tear something apart to fix/modify something, and then get over our heads and have to seek the knowledge of others on the board....like half the people on NICO that now have sh*tty running R50's 'cause they don't have the special tool to change all the plugs..(which reminds me, fukinitupagain, I don't have one...think when we meet up for a wheelin' day I can borrow yours and mail it back to ya? Coming up on 70k and want to swap 'em out)...

Yeah the stocker is junk..that's why I gave mine to fueler...

LOL i have yet to install that thing!!! my original got destroyed in the snow.

i think it helps direct airflow?

anyways, nobody mentioned that they are 10mm bolts and you should have an extension handy cause two of the bolts (one on each side) will need an extension cause theyre deep

Edited by FUELER

LOL i have yet to install that thing!!! my original got destroyed in the snow.

i think it helps direct airflow?

anyways, nobody mentioned that they are 10mm bolts and you should have an extension handy cause two of the bolts (one on each side) will need an extension cause theyre deep

Good point...I forgot about that...2 are out of reach without a long extension and the other 4 (2 on each side) are easily accessible. Watch your eyes when you drop it 'cause they tend to hide alot of crud...

Snow? I thought it was sunny & 72 every day in South Town?

No kidding.. Where'd you go in SD to find snow? High desert? Only place I ever saw it in my 3+ years there...but man, it was sweet..fresh, unmarked power all over the sand...made for beautiful dirt bike riding..until my father-in-law buried his in a snowbank, thinking it was a berm...LOL. 20 minutes and 3 burns later, we were on our way.

Ok , I did the change last nite.

M-E-S-S-Y !!!

Who thought of putting the oil filter in such an "accessible" place.

Anyhow, splash plate had one plate screw broken off.

Other than that it was fine.

Ok , I did the change last nite.

M-E-S-S-Y !!!

Who thought of putting the oil filter in such an "accessible" place.

Anyhow, splash plate had one plate screw broken off.

Other than that it was fine.

Here's a tip:

Cover the steering rack with some rags. Loosen the filter just enough so that the rubber seal does not allow oil to leak out, but you can easily twist it off. Place a plastic zip lock sandwich bag over the filter and then loosen the filter and let the oil spill into the ziplock baggie. Continue twisting off the filter with the ziplock bag around it. It gets slippery, so it'll take a bit of fiddling to get the filter all the way off without significant spillage.

Here's a tip:

Cover the steering rack with some rags. Loosen the filter just enough so that the rubber seal does not allow oil to leak out, but you can easily twist it off. Place a plastic zip lock sandwich bag over the filter and then loosen the filter and let the oil spill into the ziplock baggie. Continue twisting off the filter with the ziplock bag around it. It gets slippery, so it'll take a bit of fiddling to get the filter all the way off without significant spillage.

This is a good tip. I managed to still make a decent mess since I'm a messy person, but doing this definitely reduced it.