ball joints and tie rods

cobs89

I am about to replace the ball joints and tie rods on my 89. I noticed that the new parts do have a grease zurk and niether do the old ones. How to you grease up these parts when you install them? Or are they internally lubed?

Edited by cobs89

the old ones must have been replacements too unless instead of the zerqs they have bolts in the holes.. that's how both of my trucks came from the factory. btw. i think it's autozone that has bj's with the nipples. same for tie rods.

the ones that are sealed are just that.. slap them on and go..

thanks for the input guys. the old ones have little bolts in the holes where the zurks should be. the new ones are completely sealed. I assume that they are prelubed. when i push the boot down quite a ways i can see a little biit of grease. I will install them tommorow and let you all know how it goes.

if you drill them and tap fittings in, use a decent center punch to mark before you drill and put a dob of grease on the area where you are drilling so you won't lose any filings in the new ball joint/tie rod. The grease will catch the filings and also reduce the heat from friction of drilling. Spray some WD40 in the hole (holding the part upside down so any filings run out) after you drill and it should help blow some of the access filings out of the hole. There are grease fittings that you can get that don't have threads on them (just tap them on with a socket that will fit over the nipple).