Roof basket

beastpath

I actually found a bolt hole in the firewall that was unused in my 93 that I used for the wires to my lights on my front bar. On my 88 I removed the metal plug that covered the spot where the clutch mounts and ran the wires through that opening.

On my 88 I removed the metal plug that covered the spot where the clutch mounts and ran the wires through that opening.

That's what I did on my 99, too. Though, I pulled the plate off, drilled a 1" hole, threw a grommet in there, and used that.

I tried taking photos but they didn't turn out very good because it's too dark. I'll take pics tomorrow and post em up for ya.

I can't wait to see it, dude!

That's what I did on my 99, too. Though, I pulled the plate off, drilled a 1" hole, threw a grommet in there, and used that.

I can't wait to see it, dude!

Here r pics of the rack which I'm sure you meant Dan but I was talking bout the firewall hole I drilled for the power for the rack ya know hehe.

488280658_QvJWv-XL.jpg

488280820_w7Z5M-XL.jpg

488280998_Lvjc3-XL.jpg

488282459_zoytn-XL.jpg

488279545_QSDxv-XL.jpg

488279546_Bx9Y9-XL.jpg

-Colby

your rack looks great Colby. Can't wait for the write up for it in your other thread.

Yeah, I'm wiring it to a stock fog switch I have, so have to deal with the dash removal I guess.

Two more questions for everyone....

1. Do I need to ground the switch? One of my diagrams has it grounded, the other doesnt.

2. Can I ground my lights to the rack?

Thanks a bunch everyone. Will post pics as soon as I'm done!

your rack looks great Colby. Can't wait for the write up for it in your other thread.

Yeah, I'm wiring it to a stock fog switch I have, so have to deal with the dash removal I guess.

Two more questions for everyone....

1. Do I need to ground the switch? One of my diagrams has it grounded, the other doesnt.

2. Can I ground my lights to the rack?

Thanks a bunch everyone. Will post pics as soon as I'm done!

Thanks :) Are you using relays? Here is a VERY good site on basically how to wire everything with advice on how much power per relay and wire size. Basically everything you need to know.

491526129_yHaAp-X2.jpg

-Colby

edit - duh I forgot to put the link after putting the diagram up.. :crazy:

http://ovo.ca/wiring/wiring.html

Edited by colbywan

haha, no worries.

Yeah I'm using a 40 amp 5 prong relay for 4 lights, two running off each power prong.

Then yeah, you've got to ground the switch. You'll need to ground the rack then ground the lights to it. Another option, the one I used was to send ground up to the lights then ground in to the chassis mostly because all the time i spent prepping and painting my rack I didn't want to make somewhere it could rust.

Where r you mounting switches? This is where I mounted mine. All I had to do is pull the piece of dash below the steering wheel for them.

489490596_PP4T3-XL.jpg

-Colby

I'm using an extra factory light switch in the center console that I picked up from edicer.

Isnt my rack already grounded if its bolted to the roof? And its aluminum so it wont rust....but now that I think about it, that would probably be bad for grounding correct?

lol. Looks like I may be ripping apart my headliner again to run a ground wire through.

I'm using an extra factory light switch in the center console that I picked up from edicer.

Isnt my rack already grounded if its bolted to the roof? And its aluminum so it wont rust....but now that I think about it, that would probably be bad for grounding correct?

lol. Looks like I may be ripping apart my headliner again to run a ground wire through.

I don't know if alum grounds as good or not good question. You could check to see if they grounded well enough if you have one of those battery jump start boxes or an extra batter. I used one hooked it to the positive of the light then to the ground of the chassis to see where good ground spots were and if the rack was grounded with out the extra wire. My rack is connected to the roof via the factory rack but I've got rubber spacers in between so that the paint stays nice ya know but if your is bolted directly it may be grounded better.

-Colby

you have a switch for each light?

Me? No. There are 5 switches total. One controls the 2 middle lights facing forward, another for the outside 2 facing forward, a switch for the 2 lights off the side, and one for the rear facing or backup lights, then one last switch to control all my LED cargo/running lights.

5 switches, 14 lights.

-Colby

Me? No. There are 5 switches total. One controls the 2 middle lights facing forward, another for the outside 2 facing forward, a switch for the 2 lights off the side, and one for the rear facing or backup lights, then one last switch to control all my LED cargo/running lights.

5 switches, 14 lights.

-Colby

oh ok, thanks for the clarification. i didn't know you had that many lights!