Front End noise

DavefromOZ

Hey all, got a quick question for you.

Last weekend I headed up the coast for an overnighter on the beach, after about 5-10 minutes I started to hear a clicking sound coming from the front end, i was with a guy from ARB and he straight away called CV's stuffed, after thinking about it I'm not 100% convinced of this as normally CV's make noise while turning, these are clicking constantly, when they click. Sometimes they start clicking straight away, other times they dont click at all. I was thinking maybe the hubs could cause this? Might sound like a silly question, but I've only had the truck for a couple of months.

I know the boots are torn, but if I can get away with just replacing the boots, I have a line on someone who has a set of AVM hubs that he can no longer use.

could be a bad hub as well, or bad wheel bearing.

Definitely only makes noise when its in 4wd, hi/lo doesnt matter, this makes me think wheel bearings out of question.

yeah does it still make noise when you lock out your hubs? Or are your hubs already locked and the t-case in 2wd?

I have auto hubs, this was my first thought when it started, one of the guys said he thought that my fronts werent pulling me through the sand when he took it for a test run on the beach.

G'Day Dave ,

Just a thought mate that if your boots are torn and you can get AVM hubs ( which are awesome ) why not get your boots done to elimanate any more damage to the CV's and why thier getting done do the hubs and re-grease the bearings just to be sure .

Have you had a look at the Snake Racing ( Billet Alloy ) body lift ?

Edited by Cyril

G'Day Dave ,

Just a thought mate that if your boots are torn and you can get AVM hubs ( which are awesome ) why not get your boots done to elimanate any more damage to the CV's and why thier getting done do the hubs and re-grease the bearings just to be sure .

Have you had a look at the Snake Racing ( Billet Alloy ) body lift ?

Now thinking doing both CV shafts anyway, if KRudd has his bill passed then he will pay for it, as well as grab the AVM's as well. I will have a look at the snake kit, but I work for a company that manufactures furniture out of aluminium. We have a machine shop and fabrication department, so if I can get a look ath the 2" kit, will have a chat to the boys and have them do it in solid ali round bar.

just throwing this out there...

my frame side sway bar anchor sheared off the other day and it makes some tapping noise. I guess its time to remove it for good this time.

wiggle your sway bar and see if it does it?

Cheers for all the ideas guys, will have to spend a bit of time under her this weekend, at least now I can use my ramps. Last car was Subaru Liberty that was lowered to the max, would have torn the front bumper right off.

Will let you all know what I find when I get down there.

How long you had those torn boots anyway?

No idea, I havent had the truck that long. I guess thats what I get for not checking everything when I bought her.

CV shafts are going to be replaced, I've already decided that.

I will have a look at the snake kit, but I work for a company that manufactures furniture out of aluminium. We have a machine shop and fabrication department, so if I can get a look ath the 2" kit, will have a chat to the boys and have them do it in solid alloy round bar.

Howdy Dave , have taken a pic of the body lift for you , it 2'' high by 2'' round solid Billet Alloy and the only extra is the engraved logo .

IMG_1044.jpg

Howdy Dave , have taken a pic of the body lift for you , it 2'' high by 2'' round solid Billet Alloy and the only extra is the engraved logo .

IMG_1044.jpg

Is it just solid ali with hole through the guts? If so I can get the boys here to knock it up for me, only cost to me would be for the Grade 8 fasteners which I can get heavily discounted through our suppliers..

Yeh Mate , thats all it is but i'm not sure on the grade . If you can get 6061 or 6063 , or possibly in the 5000 series which is for marine use but deffinatly not the 1000 series as it's to soft . Can ask the tech advisors at work for you or maybe someone on this forum would know more about alloy composites . :)

Yeh Mate , thats all it is but i'm not sure on the grade . If you can get 6061 or 6063 , or possibly in the 5000 series which is for marine use but deffinatly not the 1000 series as it's to soft . Can ask the tech advisors at work for you or maybe someone on this forum would know more about alloy composites . :)

We use quite a bit of structural 6061 T6 Ø50mm solid bar, even if I have to pay for the material I can get it for around $35 per metre. How many blocks are needed for the lift?

6061 should be good and from memory their is 10 blocks . There's 7 No: like ( 6061627 ) do you know the other No: Some had bolts and nyloc nuts and a couple with finer thread screwed up into the bodies thread . When i did mine i took the bolts to the high tensile shop and asked for the same just longer .

Edited by Cyril