Stuck Til Spring?

foxtrot044

A Pathfinder isn't THAT light. Curb on a WD is about 4000 lbs.

The Warn 9500 winch, depending on which one it is, but I'm guessing it is either the 9.5XP or the 9.5TI, are the number one and two rated winches under 10,000lbs. There is absolutely NO reason that it should have broken, unless it was used improperly, or very badly neglected. See point above.

Case in point, in a BAD stuck in thick mud, going uphill, with the wheels stationary, that winch would be pulling, at most, 15,000 lbs, give or take. No reason it should have broken giving a light tug to a truck stuck on ice... something was done terribly wrong.

Next time, use a snatch block mate :)

BTW - what broke? The winch itself, or the line for it?

Pathy's rear diff was dug into the ice. You cant see all around but theres way too much snow to even get speed to tug it off. And no Im no all inexperienced and all that nonsense mr knowitall claims. Just sometimes sht happens and you get stuck. Theres only two or three of us that have the balls around here to even get our rides dirty so I end up going by myself alot. As for the winch, the part of the cable that is welded to the inside of the winch snapped off. He runs his gear pretty hard but no im pretty sure it was a faulty winch. Also the tires on the other side are in 10in holes with solid frozen water in em. In the end if you are still doubting the situation, just remmeber Im not going to hand over $700 without doing everything in my power to get it out.

Oh, so you bottomed out?

Should've been able to bump or pull you off though... huh. No recovery straps to get the recovering vehicle on good ground? Or a high lift? Or any kind of jack?

Only had 50ft of straps and 30 ft of rope. Truck was about 450ft off road(according to the tow guy) And naw there was just too much dam snow to get a tug off. But its over now and I aint goin in the snow without my very own winch again.

I was gonna say, give the guy a break, we cant see what is going on on the other side of the truck, or under the truck. That said wheeling with a good crew with the right recovery equipment will get you out of... pretty much anything.

We've recovered a truck, in the water (passenger side mirror in the water) on the edge of rolling into a lake. He was high centered on a huge rock we couldnt move, and the truck only wanted to go towards the lake. One winch (broke the line 2x, and once earlier that day), some recovery straps, a highlift recovery kit used as a come along, a few guys, and a lot of organization saved us from having to call a truck in.

This pic was taken while it was still light:

IMG__065.jpg

on the edge of rolling into a lake. He was high centered on a huge rock we couldnt move, and the truck only wanted to go towards the lake.

Um, whoopsie?? I think I'd avoid that hole...

how much water is inside that pathy?

Pretty much the waterline you see outside of the truck. Or did you want that in gallons?? :D

B

Only had 50ft of straps and 30 ft of rope. Truck was about 450ft off road(according to the tow guy) And naw there was just too much dam snow to get a tug off. But its over now and I aint goin in the snow without my very own winch again.

it must not be illegal in your state to drive off the roads (trails) ? even with snow on the ground in WA you cant drive off the green dot roads and designated jeep trails...

Be careful when pulling a vehicle thats frozen in ice. I had to recover my friend's S-10 after he drove through a puddle so deep water was over the hood. The truck died and couldnt get it started so we towed it to my other friends place that was close. It went down to about -20 that night, so all the water from the puddle was solid ice. they went to tow it the next day and noticed that the tires were not rolling, even tho it was in neutral :s everything was frozen. im not sure exactly what froze to make the wheels not spin but im sure it wasnt good for the truck.

Be careful when pulling a vehicle thats frozen in ice. I had to recover my friend's S-10 after he drove through a puddle so deep water was over the hood. The truck died and couldnt get it started so we towed it to my other friends place that was close. It went down to about -20 that night, so all the water from the puddle was solid ice. they went to tow it the next day and noticed that the tires were not rolling, even tho it was in neutral :s everything was frozen. im not sure exactly what froze to make the wheels not spin but im sure it wasnt good for the truck.

water in the brake drums and/or the differential if the vent hose was broken

I don't have a winch but it seems to me that you should never rely on the connection point to hold any force. Is it not a good idea to try to keep a few wraps on the spool or am I just overthinking this?

Of course, if you are a foot from making the hookup and can't pull any closer, I guess you have no choice but to spool it all out.

Um, whoopsie?? I think I'd avoid that hole...

Pretty much the waterline you see outside of the truck. Or did you want that in gallons?? :D

B

Yup, truck was full of water.

Yeah, you should stick to the left on that crossing... it drops off pretty quick on the right. He just caught the edge, and started to slide. It was a pretty incredible recovery.

LEaving the first layer of the winch on is where it will put you in the "pulling zone" each layer wrapped on after that decreases the pulling power of the winch.

well I wasn't thinking about the entire layer, just the first few wraps

I still don't know why his winch would have bust... can you get pictures up?

No tress or anything to use?

Old military recovery method:

Take a tire-less wheel with you with a hole drilled into it.

If you get stuck, lift a wheel and replace with the blank wheel - tie a line off to an anchor point and the wheel, wrapping it around and then bolting into the hole.

Slowly (and I mean slowly) pull yourself foward untill you are free.

Put your tyre back on and go about your merry way.

Not the best on the equipment, but it works by dangit :D

I still don't know why his winch would have bust...

I bet it did as my Superwinch did and snapped the little screw (and i mean little) holding the cable end to the drum. I still had a nice few coils on the drum. My pathfinder was stuck too bad for the winch or that screw, and it popped. I Took it back where i bought it, said it was defective. They gave me a brand new one. :tongue: I'm saving up for a snatch block to increase my pulling power. I also recently bought a bottle jack and a regular style jack.

I still don't know why his winch would have bust... can you get pictures up?

No tress or anything to use?

Old military recovery method:

Take a tire-less wheel with you with a hole drilled into it.

If you get stuck, lift a wheel and replace with the blank wheel - tie a line off to an anchor point and the wheel, wrapping it around and then bolting into the hole.

Slowly (and I mean slowly) pull yourself foward untill you are free.

Put your tyre back on and go about your merry way.

Not the best on the equipment, but it works by dangit :D

This has been developed in AUS, uses the same principle. Even has a solution if there is no trees available.

http://www.bushwinch.com.au/recoverysystem.html

Edited by DavefromOZ