Strut spacer drawings available?

Jetmugg

There used to be a link to a .pdf drawing (blueprints for the old timers) for strut spacers. The link is dead now. Does anyone have a copy of this drawing they could share?

Alternatively, are the spacers commercially available?

SteveM.

If your talking about 1 inch strut spacers then YES THEY ARE aviable , here is a :clickdalink:

http://www.nx4industries.com/r50susp.html

I was looking into getting some but im geting a Sub Frame drop soo no need for them

That's pretty sweet that they're working on a SFD and tubular half doors? That's bada$s! Wonder how much the doors will run...or how much of a PITA it is to take the stockers off...anyone done it?

I could make my own as well, but the dimensions would be very helpful. Since I had never laid eyes on one of these spacers, I didn't realize how simple their shape is.

Does anyone have a set to measure the inside and outside diameters of the spacer rings?

It looks like a little time with some aluminum bar stock on a lathe and in a milling machine (or even a drill press), and voila - strut spacers.

Those dimensions would be extremely helpful. I think I could get close if I took my suspension apart first, but my Pathy is all together right now, and I'd like to keep it that way, at least unti the time comes to pop the spacers in.

SteveM.

If your talking about 1 inch strut spacers then YES THEY ARE aviable , here is a :clickdalink:

Jesus-H-Christ, sorry I didn't know there was a new company in Canada who is trying to make this sh!t.

BTW I only paid $75 US shipped for mine.

Still looking for some more info on the spacers that are available....

Does anyone have the Snake Racing models for an R-50? I see that they look completely round in their website photos. However, when I look at my strut towers, it looks like a completely round shape won't work due to interference with the "squared off" shape of the strut tower.

Again, if anyone is using these Snake Racing round style spacers, I'd love to hear from them.

SteveM.

• 2 weeks later...
couldn't you just use longer bolts and a couple washers? if you only needed 1/2-3/4in, i don't see why that wouldn't work just as well. the strut is load-bearing, but...

I don't know the actual forces exerted, but I would imagine the force spread out over the surface area of three washers is not going to be suitable...

The entire weight of the front of the truck is supported by the upper strut mounts. I want to be able to spread that load out as much as possible to keep the localized stresses to a minimum. I could "reverse engineer" a spacer if I took my front suspension apart before starting the project. Part of my "day job" is managing a machine shop, and I have the perfect chunk of aluminum sitting in my office right now. However, I was hoping to get a drawing so I could make the spacers before pulling the front end apart. I think I'm headed to the junkyard on Saturday - maybe I can find a strut and mount to use as a template.

If I come up with something that works, I'll be happy to share.

SteveM.

I don't know the actual forces exerted, but I would imagine the force spread out over the surface area of three washers is not going to be suitable...

DISCLAIMER: The below is a rough approximation. The figures calculated are in no way determined to be accurate. Please review the Notes at the bottom.

Let's see here. Of course we're just estimating, but, the advertised curb weight of an average R50 is ~4300lbs. The weight distribution is 62/38 F/R.

62% of 4300lbs is 2666lbs. Assuming unequal distribution left/right*, on a 8% difference, that means that 54% of the weight is on the drivers front, and 46% of the frontal weight is bearing on the passengers front. Meaning that the drivers front strut is supporting 33.5% of the total vehicle weight, or approximately 1450lbs. Consider the diameter of the strut mount bolts, at 10mm (about 3/8"). There are three bolts supporting the strut mount to the vehicle, which means that each 10mm bolt is supporting up to 484lbs at any given moment.

Now, the forces exerted on that bolt, are the weight supported multiplied by any acceleration acting on that bolt. Gravity, suspension harmonics, suspension movement, etc. The acceleration due to gravity is 32ft/sec^2 using US units (of course the calculations are easier using SI/Metric units, but Ft/Lbs/Sec are easier for most people to understand.

Each bolt, under maximum strut extension is seeing over 3570PSI of force!! Let's also not forget what happens when the truck is compressing the struts, that force will go up exponentially - so much so, in fact, that my own truck broke off the entire strut tower from the inner fender skin!

Not something you would want to trust a safety critical part to a washer!

*Drivers weight, weight of fuel in tank, and other factors apply here to generate the uneven left/right weight distribution.

NOTE: This is also assuming a STOCK bodied R50. Once you add accessories, such as a bull bar and winch, the weight distribution is even more front biased, and the forces exerted on those little 10mm bolts are even more exaggerated.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Also realize that to determine the exact forces exerted on the strut mounts would be very complex, and would have to take into account exact corner weights of the vehicle in question, sprung and unsprung weight, center of gravity, and it would depend on exactly what situation the vehicle is in at a particular point of interest. At rest, the forces exerted on the strut mount are the corner weight of the truck pushing down, and the force of the spring, and the strut pushing up. So you have compression forces acting on the mount from both sides. The calculations above are a VERY rough estimation based on approximated figures and should be taken only as such. These are not accurate figures, but are merely an approximate representation to give you an idea of what is going on in your suspension.

This is why it is imperative that you use a high-quality strut mount, such as the OEM Nissan one, and not a cheap mount, like the KYB, which will fail after a short period of use.

DISCLAIMER: The below is a rough approximation. The figures calculated are in no way determined to be accurate. Please review the Notes at the bottom.

Dude.... you lost me at "disclaimer"

:shrug:

lol

Edited by morpheus

Right on Dan!

When I added my strut spacers, I replaced those 10mm studs with 1/2" grade 8 bolts....I should hope these stand up to the task. My only concern is that they would break before bending and showing wear.

...on the other hand my rig will never wheel like your last one, perhaps not even as hard as your new one!

Right on Dan!

When I added my strut spacers, I replaced those 10mm studs with 1/2" grade 8 bolts....I should hope these stand up to the task. My only concern is that they would break before bending and showing wear.

...on the other hand my rig will never wheel like your last one, perhaps not even as hard as your new one!

1/2" Grade 8 bolts will do fine.

The only reason my strut tower broke was I launched the truck out of a sink-hole on OBX at 30mph and slammed the front end down extremely hard. Insurance covered it, oddly enough!

You think I'm going to wheel the Acura? LMAO!

• 1 month later...

Just started a new topic on the spacers. The image they use on their site is misleading. The real ones are the correct shape, and a very nice quality.

StrutSpacer.jpg

Edited by InfinQX4