4wheel drive not working

robert

So tonight on my way home from my girlfriends house, it started to snow out bad.

Well i live on a hill, and need 4 wheel drive to make it up, I got lucky and made it without but almost slid off the road.

My transfer case goes into 4wheel drive its just my front end isn't locking it.

I know i need to replace the axles, because the boots have been torn for 2-3 yrs.

What would cause the front axle to not lock in though?

First thing to do is make sure the front drive line is spinning. You probably need a second set of eyes for that.

If thats turning, the transfer case is working and the front diff is rotating (if it works) to the CV (they should still turn, I think you'd know but check) on to the auto locking hubs. These need periodic cleaning and regreasing to work reliably (if they aren't broken, but you would probably hear that). Take them apart, clean/inspect/relube everything and reinstall.

It really isn't hard. :beer:

B

Alright thanks, well I put it up on a lift today.

Started up put in four wheel drive and was looking seeing its limited slip one side is always pulling and the other waits to lock in.

Well, i need to buy the new cv assembly. The whole inside of it is sheared apart.

Damn the luck haha

But thanks for helping though=)

very much appreciated.

oh uhm is there a forum on installing the new axles lol

pretty simple...The way I did this on Friday was...

remove bolts from front axle

jack up (i put the whole front end off the ground since i was doing both sides) and remove tires

pull hubs

remove retaining spring

removed shock

unbolt the upper ball joint and slid the CV out...you may have to turn the wheels to allow for the CV to come all the way out

I also put a jack under that LCA so its not free hanging on the tie rods/LBJ and other components

Well, i need to buy the new cv assembly. The whole inside of it is sheared apart.

Damn the luck haha

But thanks for helping though=)

very much appreciated.

Yep, that'll do it...

You are welcome.

B

pretty simple...The way I did this on Friday was...

remove bolts from front axle

jack up (i put the whole front end off the ground since i was doing both sides) and remove tires

pull hubs

remove retaining spring

removed shock

unbolt the upper ball joint and slid the CV out...you may have to turn the wheels to allow for the CV to come all the way out

I also put a jack under that LCA so its not free hanging on the tie rods/LBJ and other components

I did the same, but removed the tie-rod for more play room:

Nis0813002.jpg

First thing to do is make sure the front drive line is spinning. You probably need a second set of eyes for that.

If thats turning, the transfer case is working and the front diff is rotating (if it works) to the CV (they should still turn, I think you'd know but check) on to the auto locking hubs. These need periodic cleaning and regreasing to work reliably (if they aren't broken, but you would probably hear that). Take them apart, clean/inspect/relube everything and reinstall.

It really isn't hard. :beer:

B

Hi, does anyone know exactly which part of the auto locking hubs is the usually suspect for not engaging/disengaging when it should? Which parts need lubed/cleaned specifically? Thanks, I always suspected a spring or something.

Hi, does anyone know exactly which part of the auto locking hubs is the usually suspect for not engaging/disengaging when it should? Which parts need lubed/cleaned specifically? Thanks, I always suspected a spring or something.

all that you can see and then some.