Painting the lego rims black

Kingman

I've been searching for almost an hour now and I cant find a thread on anyone who's done this other than just a brief mention of it.

Has anyone posted an actual thread on this?

I've been wanting to paint my rims black for a while now, and not really sure what to do with the plasticky material of the stock lego rims.

Help!

for best adheasoin sand everyting down with 120-240 grit sandpaper and then whipe thurougly with rubbing alchol (do not use acetone as it's not good for the plasitc or the rattle can paint.)

then use a light coat of plasic primer for the centers and regular sealer primer for both pieces after that. look at your pimer for blemishes and nicks in the wheel itslef If need be let primer fully harden and blend out imperfections with 240 grit whipe with alchol and re-prime.

when you are satisfied with the surface texture apply your topcoat, let dry and enjoi.

I talked to a guy locally I was selling some part to a while back when I was thinking of doing this who used 'Eastman's Chassis Black' paint. That was the brand name. He even still had the can. It came out very very very nice in a semi gloss color. He worked on small aircraft and said they used it alot on the planes because it was chip and wear resistant which made a lot of sense when I started thinking about it. He also used an industrial spray gun to apply it.

I ended up just chroming mine and using rustoleum black on the triangle center caps. Primer black base coat. Then two coats of semi-gloss black to match the fender flares and then a clear coat. That was two years ago and still no chipping, cracking etc on the caps.

I painted my lego rims blck with a spray can of canadian tire texured spry paint. It collects dust easily but are just sparkly enough not to be boring and not too sparkly to look gay. I did no prep other than cleaning the rim well and I have had it on for 6 months thru snow, salt, mud and gravel and it stays on very well. I took the plastic center pieces off and it looks alright with the chrome wheel lugs.

post-11021-1232227778_thumb.jpgpost-11021-1232227824_thumb.jpg

I painted my lego rims blck with a spray can of canadian tire texured spry paint. It collects dust easily but are just sparkly enough not to be boring and not too sparkly to look gay. I did no prep other than cleaning the rim well and I have had it on for 6 months thru snow, salt, mud and gravel and it stays on very well. I took the plastic center pieces off and it looks alright with the chrome wheel lugs.

post-11021-1232227778_thumb.jpgpost-11021-1232227824_thumb.jpg

My center pieces came off loooooong ago, and those do look good thats for sure!

I'll see how many cans of black my dad can get from the Port for me :D