Auto-Manual Trans Swap

180sx

Hello...

So, I've had this Pathy for a little over a year now. The auto thing has been fun, but my car is auto also (the wifes) and its just plain boring. So i want to swap in a 5spd to get my balls tingling a little again. Just want to make sure I have a list of all that I need. Don't know about pathy's Trans' much.

5spd Trans

5spd ECU

Clutch pedal

Clutch Master Cylinder

Slave Cylinder

Flywheel

Clutch

pressure plate

throw out bearing

pilot bushing

lines

center console items (under consle, shifter insert, ect...)

starter (maybe?)

check drive shaft lengths

check for spacer behind flywheel.

Am I missing anything? Or will I need to get new driveshafts also? Oh, its a 4WD model, and a '96.

Thanks,

Jose

Edited by 180sx

I have no idea on how to go about doing this but, one thing that I thought of, A new center Console, or are you just going to cut out a place for the shifter knob??

all ready have center console in my list.

You dont need the entire center console just the trim that houses the boots for the shifters. It'll snap right in place of the auto one. You might also wanna get the floor pan rubber boots and stuff that goes under the console.

Sounds easier than I thought. So you're saying a 5-spd VG30DETT swap is possible...? :D

Pilot bearing or bushing is something to add, also

Throw out bearing

trans oil

Are the driveshafts the same length?

I presume the speedo connection would be the same.

You'll need to deal with the trans cooling line removal and plug the rad.

All I can think of right now.

Little piece of info that may or may not be useful, since my experience is a little different and don't know if it would even come to play with a r50. When I had to swap motors in my old HB(91 2.4l 5speed 4x4) the motor I dropped in was from an auto equipped truck. Didn't pay atention and there was a small spacer between the flywheel and crank on the auto equipped motor and when switching flywheels it stayed on the crank and actually held the flywheel out like 1/4". Starter chewed the teeth off the flywheel in a matter of a week. MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE SPACER WHILE YOU HAVE THE FLYWHEEL OFF. That and make sure you get a pressure plate with your clutch kit.

Hey, Thanks for all the replies! Good info on the spacer behind the flywheel. I'll have to look at that. So far it sounds like a straight forward swap. I'll be sure to do a write up in the future when I do this. Won't be any time too soon. probably june when its comfortable to be at the junk yard and my tax return settles all my debts...maybe sooner. but definately this summer. Thanks again!

Oh, and another thing. does anybody know if the transfer cases will swap? or is it best to leave the tranfer case on each trannny? sorry, i am new at this 4x4 thing, so i'm not very familiar with this..

Edited by 180sx

HOLY CRAP!!! This is exact;y what i've been looking for!! And WOW...this is alot more difficult than most other cars...well, the wiring part at least is a little different...no biggie. Thanks Bro!