HID conversion kit

PATHRIDER

Howzip going guys...been a while since I visited the site and might I say that this site is still the best and probably the only one with a lot of knowledgeable members.

I ventured to a different hobby for the past 2 years (old school bmx) :)

I need your expertice again guys in converting my 1993 pathys headlight to a HID.actually my front grilles and headlights are from a 93-94 hardbody.I did this conversion a few years back.

few of my questions are

Is there a composite headlight for the 89-95 hardbody (round one)?The headlights I have right now are the sealed type and the bulbs can not be replaced on those for me to convert to HID ...or is there any other route on doing this without having to replace my headlights from sealed to composite?

what brand of HID kit would you guys recommend and where can I find them?

Thanks in advance and your input is greatly appreciated guys

Howzip going guys...been a while since I visited the site and might I say that this site is still the best and probably the only one with a lot of knowledgeable members.

I ventured to a different hobby for the past 2 years (old school bmx) :)

I need your expertice again guys in converting my 1993 pathys headlight to a HID.actually my front grilles and headlights are from a 93-94 hardbody.I did this conversion a few years back.

few of my questions are

Is there a composite headlight for the 89-95 hardbody (round one)?The headlights I have right now are the sealed type and the bulbs can not be replaced on those for me to convert to HID ...or is there any other route on doing this without having to replace my headlights from sealed to composite?

what brand of HID kit would you guys recommend and where can I find them?

Thanks in advance and your input is greatly appreciated guys

Can't help you with the HID conversion, but am wondering if you're familiar with vintagebmx.com?

there are composite housings for the hardbody and they use H4 combination bulbs(high/low beams in one) These are a good choice for lighting however, I do not reccomend going HID.

a conventional hallogen bulb emits light in all directions evenly, the corrosponding reflector is designed to emit a light pattern based on this light output.

A HID bulb emits light outward in an arc, when used in a hallogen fixture not as much light is directed correctly back @ the reflector. The result is a beam that comes from a brighter bulb and looks brighter to oncoming traffic but is not really much more effective for the divers visibity because the refletor is not designed for that light pattern.

Your best bet, Is to get the hardbody composite fixtures, run a good quality high output bulb and wire up a direct battery relay so that your hallogens don'd suffer any voltage drop; stock pathfider wireing only allows about 11.8 or lower voltage to bulbs a direct batery relay allows full battery/ charging voltage to the bulbs (13.4-14 volts)

goto check out Daniel Stern Lighting for more info, how-to's and wotnot

I have aftermaket euro style pathfinder composite headlights(better beam filtering and pattern than oem) and a direct battery realy. and I am 100% satisfied with my light output, my low beams are more than enough and my friends say my brights are like daylight!

HOPE THIS HELPED

Edited by MY1PATH

MyPath, didn't you do a write up on this?

My current headlights, even with high quality bulbs, suck... so dim and the dispersion pattern just sucks. Can you give some suggestions on new parts? I've been looking around... but dont' see anything that seems to fit the mounts for a '90 pathy :(

Can't help you with the HID conversion, but am wondering if you're familiar with vintagebmx.com?

You ought to post the specs on your lights man, I think more people would be happy with what you are running in the long run.

there are composite housings for the hardbody and they use H4 combination bulbs(high/low beams in one) These are a good choice for lighting however, I do not reccomend going HID.

a conventional hallogen bulb emits light in all directions evenly, the corrosponding reflector is designed to emit a light pattern based on this light output.

A HID bulb emits light outward in an arc, when used in a hallogen fixture not as much light is directed correctly back @ the reflector. The result is a beam that comes from a brighter bulb and looks brighter to oncoming traffic but is not really much more effective for the divers visibity because the refletor is not designed for that light pattern.

Your best bet, Is to get the hardbody composite fixtures, run a good quality high output bulb and wire up a direct battery relay so that your hallogens don'd suffer any voltage drop; stock pathfider wireing only allows about 11.8 or lower voltage to bulbs a direct batery relay allows full battery/ charging voltage to the bulbs (13.4-14 volts)

goto check out Daniel Stern Lighting for more info, how-to's and wotnot

I have aftermaket euro style pathfinder composite headlights(better beam filtering and pattern than oem) and a direct battery realy. and I am 100% satisfied with my light output, my low beams are more than enough and my friends say my brights are like daylight!

HOPE THIS HELPED

Excellent.this helped a lot.Im thinking that my headlight is suffering from voltage drop also.Im going to wire it up directly with a relay .You wouldnt happen to have the part number or a place where I can order this composite headlights do you? Been checking online and no luck or maybe I just dont know what to look for

I might also upgrade to a bigger alternator soon as weather permits.

Thanks My1Path

After having spent some time on the HIDplanet forums, I would also highly suggest NOT converting to xenon bulbs w/ an HID kit. If the conversion is to be made, convert the whole headlight w/ a projector and then (only then), use a HID kit. Otherwise the light emitted from a xenon bulb in a reflector housing designed for a halogen will create lots of hot spots and ineffective light that has greater potential to blind on coming drivers.

This is one of the areas I looked at right when I got my pathfinder. The low beams are incredibly dim, but I dont think the stock bulbs are any good. In addition, the glass housing that the light has to go through is very dirty/old - if i had more time, id would thoroughly clean and attempt my1path's suggestion!

MyPath, didn't you do a write up on this?

My current headlights, even with high quality bulbs, suck... so dim and the dispersion pattern just sucks. Can you give some suggestions on new parts? I've been looking around... but dont' see anything that seems to fit the mounts for a '90 pathy :(

I don't think I did specifically, but I do belive I had pitures and Info showing my Aftermarket Lights and how I adapted An HB grille to fit them.

th_daygrille.jpg

The headlights were all over the place ON ebay. All kinds of ppl claiming theirs is better than the other but the truth is they are the same, made by the same company(eagle I think) and sold under differant labels. If you can't find em anymore have you considerd an HB ligth conversion? V

Excellent.this helped a lot.Im thinking that my headlight is suffering from voltage drop also.Im going to wire it up directly with a relay .You wouldnt happen to have the part number or a place where I can order this composite headlights do you? Been checking online and no luck or maybe I just dont know what to look for

I THINK The Square sealed beam headligt is a common one used on many older vehicles. I THINK Hella Makes a comosite replacement for those. I don't think its vechle specific, but more like beam-type specific(fits many vehicles)

I used a HELLA Double relay from summit racing so that 1 relay is for high and the other is for low. I ran the relays off the passenger headlight wires and taped off the old driverside ones.

Edited by MY1PATH

You ought to post the specs on your lights man, I think more people would be happy with what you are running in the long run.

My lights? They're nothing special - just some aftermarket lights I bought on ebay. They work great, and are pretty bright compared to the OEM lights. Gauging by how few people have flashed their brights at me over the years, I don't think they're too bright. I've been pretty happy with them. Here's a pic of what they look like:

hlks-pat88-ch.jpg

My lights? They're nothing special - just some aftermarket lights I bought on ebay. They work great, and are pretty bright compared to the OEM lights. Gauging by how few people have flashed their brights at me over the years, I don't think they're too bright. I've been pretty happy with them. Here's a pic of what they look like:

hlks-pat88-ch.jpg

couple of options that need your suggestion guys..

Hella headlights

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1994/niss.../headlight.html

or I can also go with the projector type which according to the vendor the bulbs can be replaced. From what I understand on tru tainfs post I can use the hid kit if I decide to considering that its going on a projector headlight

Like this http://www.k2motor.com/lhp7x6jm-h.html

Let me know what you guys think

I can't tell if either of those would work, because they don't seem to have the notch cut out . Then again, they may just be stock photos.

I'm no expert on lighting - by far. I just keep adding lights until I can see to my satisfaction. B)

... From what I understand on tru tainfs post I can use the hid kit if I decide to considering that its going on a projector headlight

IIRC... I believe there are halogen projectors and xenon projectors and be certain that this projector is designed to output light from a xenon d2s bulb and it should be fine...

Most of the ebay projector head lights just LOOK like Bi-Xenons, but in reality they are just ~okayish~ (and that's being nice) halogen projectors....

IIRC... I believe there are halogen projectors and xenon projectors and be certain that this projector is designed to output light from a xenon d2s bulb and it should be fine...

Most of the ebay projector head lights just LOOK like Bi-Xenons, but in reality they are just ~okayish~ (and that's being nice) halogen projectors....

I kinda got that vibe when I was reading the descriptions.

Watch if you convert to seald beam style front end and do the H4 bulb swap, melted multipule plugs out of my HB with them. I guess they run a little hotter than older thin wires can handle. Still not gonna hold me back from converting again, I've collected many extra plugs and pigtails....

Edited by nunya

There are upgraded pugs out there.

I can't remeber where I got mine but they have 14awg wires coming out the back with some sort of hi-temp sealant waterproofing and had a 480 degree temp rating on the label. 14 awg is about 4 or 5x thicker than stock wires.

there are composite housings for the hardbody and they use H4 combination bulbs(high/low beams in one) These are a good choice for lighting ...

I found some while browsing nissan parts on ebay. Looks like a good deal, good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Acces...A1%7C240%3A1318

Edited by MY1PATH

sorry didnt see u posted. They fit perfect in my 300zx and i love them they are the samsize and shape as the factory sealed beam ones so you install them just like replaced the bulb regularly. They are way bright and have a much better directed light. it would be cool to find out how to mount them in the pathy!

sorry didnt see u posted. They fit perfect in my 300zx and i love them they are the samsize and shape as the factory sealed beam ones so you install them just like replaced the bulb regularly. They are way bright and have a much better directed light. it would be cool to find out how to mount them in the pathy!

go to a JY and take all the headlight brackets of a nissan hardbody pickup (d21). the brackets bolt right up to the pathy because the radiator support is the same between the 2. you'll have to trim your grille, run the hard body grille or no grille for them to fit I think.

ok mihgt look into it those are such a improvement over the stock ones! definantly worth the 30 bucks for the light housings but replace the cheap ass bulbs it comes with with some nice 50$ silverstars!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and reply guys.Sorry it took me a while to visit the forum

Heres my conversion and a real easy one.Im going to change the bulb to a projector type and do a HID conversion ..Ill post some pics when im done

edicer if youre interested I have a brand new grille and all the brackets for the headlights if youre planning on doing a conversion.I was going to use it on my wifes pathy but she doesnt want me touching her baby...lol...she told me it cost too much money everytime I replace something

013767.jpg