ABS question

ticker

Try driving a 2006 Kia Sportage in the snow, you almost cant stop AT ALL because the abs goes overboard.

Even with 4x4, it's total crap. The traction control wont let the tires spin, and turning it off only makes it slightly better.

:thumbsdown:

Try driving a 2006 Kia Sportage in the snow, you almost cant stop AT ALL because the abs goes overboard.

Even with 4x4, it's total crap. The traction control wont let the tires spin, and turning it off only makes it slightly better.

:thumbsdown:

Kia was all I needed to hear... :rolleyes:

Is it possible here that XPLORx4 and Alex are both partially right? ;)

Proportioning valve permits greater braking system energy to the front brakes: True

Weight transfer is to the front of the vehicle during breaking: True

The cars I have looked at have greater braking surface area on the fronts than the rear. On a 4 wheel drum car I had, the front pads were wider, for example. Of course this extra friction material is needed to do the extra work required due to the weight transfer. So this means that you need more line pressure to apply to have the same pad to drum force. Add to this the weight transfer and you need even more pressure.

In an ideal world, the proportioning valve would be so adjusted that all 4 wheels would get equal braking force at the same time.

But vehicle loading changes, road surface and tires change. Shocks wear out. Also, Disc brakes tend to be better at long term self adjusting for optimal operation (until the caliper sliders seize) in my experience than drum. All this contributes.

Edited by BowTied

I finally got to pull the fuse and compare the difference today. There was just enough snow to slide when the brakes were applied firmly. I tried it both ways and I prefer the feel and the ability to control the stop without the ABS on. That said, I think that for daily use I would leave the fuse in place and only remove it when it is snowing. Its a bit too sensitive for my tastes in the snow, but I think it would probably be helpful in general obviously it was installed for a reason. Thanks for all the help.

big mistake. :)

When you pull up to a stop sign and the ABS makes you feel that its not going to let you stop, that sucks. I'm aware of the benefits of an ABS system, I just don't like feeling out of control. I think that this ABS system is a bit over sensitive considering how slow I am going when it kicks in. I only plan on running it without when I'm around the neighborhood or playing in the snow. Like I said daily driving or driving at speed I'll put it back. I'm not really sure I see the mistake.

I have a VG '98 SE without ABS. My sister has a VQ 2001 SE with ABS. Her's is 100% stock, while mine has the OME lift, 31" tires and upgraded brake components, including Stillen drilled rotors, metal matrix pads and stainless steel brake lines.

I have driven my sister's R50 many times, and I really don't like the feeling of the ABS. The ABS kicks in too easily, and most of the time I feel that its actually hurting breaking performance. I haven't really done a side-by-side comparison, and the trucks are not exactly the same, but I am alsmost sure I can stop my truck from the same speed in a shorter distance.

With a properly maintained braking system, under 99% of circumstances I would rather not have the ABS. I know ABS can really help in some situations, but in the R50s it seems to be too sensitive.

I have a VG '98 SE without ABS. My sister has a VQ 2001 SE with ABS. Her's is 100% stock, while mine has the OME lift, 31" tires and upgraded brake components, including Stillen drilled rotors, metal matrix pads and stainless steel brake lines.

I have driven my sister's R50 many times, and I really don't like the feeling of the ABS. The ABS kicks in too easily, and most of the time I feel that its actually hurting breaking performance. I haven't really done a side-by-side comparison, and the trucks are not exactly the same, but I am alsmost sure I can stop my truck from the same speed in a shorter distance.

With a properly maintained braking system, under 99% of circumstances I would rather not have the ABS. I know ABS can really help in some situations, but in the R50s it seems to be too sensitive.

I agree completely :beer:

just don't mow over any kids when you're out around in your neighborhood. :)

He'd more likely mow over kids WITH the ABS since it won't let the vehicle stop. At least skidding in the snow gives you a little bit of traction and friction versus almost none when the ABS cuts off brake pressure and fights the pedal every step of the way.

I almost kit a kid in the Kia when the weather was bad. The brakes wouldn't grip at all, and I could feel the ABS fighting the pedal. It was as dangerous as it gets just about. I'll never drive that thing in the snow again.

Edited by kingman92010

Thats exactly what it feels like, and the noise mine make just sounds wrong. Kind of grindy and slow and loud!, as opposed to the stutter of other ABS I have felt. I'm going so slow when it kicks in that I feel like it is more detrimental then anything else. I guess I don't like the vehicle making a decision for me. The R50 is so much smoother and quiter then the Wd21, I'm already feeling like i'm not as in touch with the outside world, this just adds to that feeling of isolation.

abs is disabled when 4wd low is engaged. (if my memory serves me correctly)

normally it allows us to steer car while harshly pressing brake pedal. i normally do not like ABS feeling but i drive slow so no need for ABS under normal conditions.

It saved me once in another car. This is my experience.